COMAND DVD Player not working

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mercenary

Car
W219 CLS320 CDI AMG
Still loving the driving experience of my CLS but realising that the previous owner hid quite a few niggles and faults despite advertising them as working. Some things you just forget to check :doh:

Today's tale of woe:

Although the COMAND system seems to be working in most areas, the one thing that doesn't is the DVD player.
The player reads audio CDs fine but when putting a DVD in (including the OEM COMAND manual) it comes up as "DVD Error" every time.

Is there any easy way of interrogating the system to see what is going on? Could this be because 'fake' discs have been used before?

The car is 2006 and I believe has NTG1 (is there an easy way of checking?)

Would a firmware upgrade make any difference? I've been through numerous posts on here and found some very helpful tips for the future but no answer to this specific question.

Thanks in advance for any replies. :thumb:

Next instalment:Navigation upgrade questions

Could it be as simple as the region codes on the command unit have been set to the wrong region i.e USA not Europe ?

As you have NTG1 then you will have a DVD/ SATNAV player in the boot area somewhere. On my S211 it is behind the rear N/S panel. What or which sat nav disc are you using in the boot player?? My own sat nav comes and goes as it pleases,Usually with a " Cannot read DVD PLEASE CHECK ". I have tried a latest disc which has improved things but I think I need to strip the unit down and perhaps clean the lens.
When I was first reading your post, this ad for sat nav discs was sitting on it Mercedes sat nav CD/DVD updates from only £25 and whether the discs are genuine I do not know, but £39 is very cheap. I bought my latest disc off of Ebay and when you install it there is a specific way of doing it as it seems to also update the firmware. Have you tried playing a movie in the DVD slot on the Comand console to see if that works?? I suppose another question is --- do you have a CD changer as well buried behind the Comand .?? Regards.

I missed the previous replies so apologies for not responding sooner.

I am aware of the player in the boot for the Sat Nav and that seems to be functioning properly although quite an old version.

AFAIK the advice is to not put anything in the boot Sat Nav player other than the sat nav discs themselves ie not audio or video DVDs.

There is no multi changer behind the flip up panel. It's a single player unit only.

Tried lots of different formats including region coded DVDs and still getting the error message so no further forward. :dk:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom