COMAND: How many satellites do you see?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Alfie

Authorised Forum Sponsor
SUPPORTER
Car
W169 A, W205 C, R172 SLC, W447 vantastic
Travelling along the M40 last night I noticed that my COMAND had picked up 8 satellites. As the most I've ever seen before was seven (quite regularly) I was wondering how many other people regularly or occasionally see.

Usually 8 for me but then most of my journeys have a 360° view of the sky, no obstructions at all :)

had 10 up on the dales for around 5 mins and on 1 occasions saw 11. i have read somewhere that the most you can ever pick up is 12 in the UK.

it is often around 6 or 7. if you find a decent open space and sit and watch you will see them update. if you hang around for 93mins your car will have seen all it can possibly see. altho whether it sees them all at the same time could be open to debate. you may notice that it helps if you point whichever bit of the car has the recieving ariel in it at the equater...ie your **** end at the south.

will be boring and post a veiwer that allows you to see all the stuff floating about round us just as soon as i remember where it is.

yawn:http://science.nasa.gov/Realtime/jtrack/3d/JTrack3D.html

If you select the time option and speed it up you can see all the stuff moving. select the update to 1/4 second and it works best.
zoom in and you can select your satellite you wish to view. its name will come up. the tools should help you.
if you zoom right out you can see the clark belt.
you can rotate the earth in any direction you wish.

Last edited:
Had 11 in Hungary, most I've (or the COMAND) has ever seen.

Maff said:
Had 11 in Hungary, most I've (or the COMAND) has ever seen.
Comand 2.0 only picks up 8 maximum! I guess the later comands will handle more...

Alfie said:
Travelling along the M40 last night I noticed that my COMAND had picked up 8 satellites. As the most I've ever seen before was seven (quite regularly) I was wondering how many other people regularly or occasionally see.

Carrot juice in the petrol eh ?

So how come you all know how many satellites the COMAND is seeing ?
I even read the manual but didn't see any reference to that. And I don't remember anything on the screen that looked like satellite number although I do have what looks like a signal strength meter - is that it ? Be very interested for one of you to put me out of my ignorance, Ta.

Barry

BarryS said:
So how come you all know how many satellites the COMAND is seeing ?
I even read the manual but didn't see any reference to that. And I don't remember anything on the screen that looked like satellite number although I do have what looks like a signal strength meter - is that it ? Be very interested for one of you to put me out of my ignorance, Ta.

Barry

What car/COMAND have you got?

Alfie, I have a 2004 CLK, COMAND 2.0 CD-based.
Rgds, Barry

is the bar the reception on your phone barry? if you switch to map then you should see 00 Sat in the corner. This will go up as you 'catch' sats.

obviously i am assuming you have a phone and that the bar is in the top right hand corner of the screen?

BarryS said:
Alfie, I have a 2004 CLK, COMAND 2.0 CD-based.
Rgds, Barry

Press the MAP button and look on the screen in the upper right corner. It should tell you how many satellites the COMAND can see.

Edit: Just noticed that SPortsCoupeRich has already stated this.

Many thanks for both your replies - can't wait to check this tomorrow ! (how sad)

Yes, the bars will be the phone signal strength.

Thanks again for taking the time to respond.

Barry

altho if you have the other type of COMAND the screen is along the bottom of thye screen when in map mode. you get the north arrow to the right, the actual location using northings and westings or is it eastings? and then a pic of a satellite and a number, then the strength signal and possibly text message waiting too.

Last edited:
I had 12 for a brief moment driving along A4440 FROM Worcester to Malvern.Otherwise usually 7 or 8.
Baz

got 11 for a few mins up in bowness on sunday last. my travelling partner became transfixed on the satellite in view and height and kept on pointing out everytime it changed....i have just recovered from it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom