COMAND in a 208 CLK [long]

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I have lots of bits and pieces sitting around, most of them are original parts from the car for incase I need to return the car to stock.

This was only £250, brand new from the stealership (although quite discounted, full price is more like £350):

w208amgcluster1.jpg

Steering wheel second hand is prolly about £300 including airbag I expect. Add another £50 to that for wiring and other bits and pieces and you're looking at £700ish. £1500 isn't bad for an oem satnav and headunit package, esp if you can sell the old steering wheel, instrument cluster and headunit/changer to make up the difference, you might get half of your money back :)

Hi!

I have a MF cluster like this arriving for my W202.
Besides the W210 MF steering wheel I plan to buy too, what other bits do I need so the things work fine with a comand or other radio? (it's imperative to have a comand?)
Do I need to buy a CAN BUS adapter?

Regards!

Hi Guys,

Sorry to revive an old thread, but I am about to venture into Comand land to have one fitted in my CLK320 (W208) 2000 model Cabriolet and have already made contact with a German company who can supply one to me for about 349.00 Euros with a can bus to get my steering wheel controls working and a GPS antenna.

I am a bit confused as to the standard functionality of the Comand unit as I haven't seen one if real life yet.

The questions I have are as follows:

1. Does the Comand unit have a TV tuner built-in or do I need to get one separately?
2. Is the TV signal Digital or Analogue
3. Does Comand accept DVD discs in its slot or do I need to by a DVD stacker?
4. Does it accept copied DVD/CD discs and plays them fine?
5. Will my CD stacker at the back still work normally with Comand?
6. My steering wheel has the "phone" function, so will Comand enable this feature or do I need to buy something else to enable it?
7. Does Comand have an AUX input to hook-up an MP3 player for example or any other external source?
8. Can Comand be operated on the move? I mean the DVD function for example for the wife to watch? ;)

I can get Australian 2010/11 maps for it locally, so that is not a problem, but am a bit confused by all the other bits and pieces that I need to order to make it a fully functioning unit and was hoping for some guidance in this regard.

By the way, I have no idea what sort of head unit I have at the moment or if my W208 has a Bose system or not, but here are some pics of my dash and you may able to tell me what I have :)

Attachments

• P6140105.JPG
    P6140105.JPG
    140.5 KB · Views: 48
  • 03072010016.jpg
    03072010016.jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 47
  • 03072010019.jpg
    03072010019.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 46
OK, I checked my Merc today after removing the rear seat and answered a couple of questions I posted above:

* I have the Audio 10 head-unit.
* I don't have the Boss system
* Pressing on the phone function on the steering gives a message in the cluster screen saying "function not available"

Hi Guys,
1. Does the Comand unit have a TV tuner built-in or do I need to get one separately?
2. Is the TV signal Digital or Analogue
3. Does Comand accept DVD discs in its slot or do I need to by a DVD stacker?
4. Does it accept copied DVD/CD discs and plays them fine?
5. Will my CD stacker at the back still work normally with Comand?
6. My steering wheel has the "phone" function, so will Comand enable this feature or do I need to buy something else to enable it?
7. Does Comand have an AUX input to hook-up an MP3 player for example or any other external source?
8. Can Comand be operated on the move? I mean the DVD function for example for the wife to watch? ;)

1 Tv tuner you wil need separtly
2 the oem tuner is analogue so useless in most of europe
3 no command play only CD so you need a extra dvd player
4 coppy cd's work in command
5 have you cd changer d2b bus optical fiber cable if yes t wil work
6 you wil need a extra phone unit to use the phone fuction
7 Not 100% sure but i thought Yes

Thanks Mike,

If it can't play DVDs, I can't justify the cost of fitting a glorified GPS and CD player in the dash and going through all this trouble. Not worth it really. I will continue using my portable GPS until I can find an aftermarket unit that works in my car and has all the latest features. The only advantage I see of fitting Comand is the factory look and that's about it, but compared to today's standards the old Comand seems to be a primitive/outdated system and technology.

Yes the oem look is ok
but the rest is outdated true
better get a newer double din navi/dvd and find one what works with your steeringwheel knobs

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom