COMAND in a 208 CLK [long]

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Flyer

MB Enthusiast
Car
Ford Mustang GT
A couple of weeks ago, I installed a comand in my 208 CLK (pre-facelift). I bought the comand, canbus adapter and fitting clips from steve_bcs (thanks again Steve). Thanks also to Steve (MBenzNL) and Paul Grainger for advice.

Here's the comand unit:
comand9.jpg

Close-up of the A, B, C1 and C2 connectors:
comand8.jpg

The canbus adapter:
canbusinterface.jpg

This is what I had installed prior to comand, a Blaupunkt Paris, with CD changer in the boot. Great unit, only had one problem. The front flips down to allow you to remove the keycard. I can verify that it isn't strong enough to support a laptop carelessly thrown across to the passenger seat :D
paris1.jpg

The HU, cage and storage box removed:
install1.jpg

You have to cut the bar in the middle out - carefully! Leaves you with this:
install4.jpg

Next job was to remove the glox box - really easy, but you need a chubby screwdriver and watch for the two plastic screws at either side of the box - they break really easily :crazy: . Leaves you with this:
install2.jpg

[follows on in the next message]

[follows on]

This is the GPS antenna:
203_820_09_75.jpg

I ordered the wrong one - 203 820 09 75, instead of 230 820 08 75. I therefore had to also buy an extension cable (203 540 70 06), as the connectors are different:
203_540_70_06.jpg

I stuck the antenna on the underside of the dash - this is towards the center of the dash. It's a bit of a squeeze, but you can get it up there. Gets seven satellites regularly. The cable was fed out through the hole in the dash where comand is to go.

install3.jpg

Whilst the glove box was out, I fitted the Aux-in connector:
210_440_50_05.jpg

I wanted the Aux-in connector on the right-hand side. I wanted it that much that I spent an hour carefully cutting it and filing it and making it look nearly as good as ...

... the one on the left where MB have thoughtfully provided a cut-out that can simply be pushed out :confused: . I'm thinking of installing a Dension DMP3 MP3 player if I can't locate a MB cd-changer at a reasonable cost.

Now onto the soldering. Only three wires as the canbus interface provides C1 and C2 conectors. The A and B plugs were already there as they plugged into the existing h/u.

1. Blue/Green - soldered onto Pin 1 of plug A (provides the speed signal).
2. Blue - soldered onto Pin 6 of plug A (provides the lights signal).
3. Black - soldered onto Pin 7 of plug A (provides +12v ignition)

All joins were soldered and taped with electrical tape. I tried heatshrink but wasn't satisfied with the result. I used a pack of these but could really have done with two, just in case. They are really small and easy to lose:
008_545_55_26.jpg

Unfortunately, my CD-changer won't work with comand so I haven't wired one in. I am on the lookout for a MB fibre-optic one though, so let me know if you have one (cheapish!).

And that's it! Very easy. I attached the fitting clips and bought (well, was given by my dealer!), some removal tools:
000_589_88_63_00.jpg

The unit fits very snugly and securely and I'm made up with it. Sound quality is better that the bluespot and nav is great. Knowing what street you are on really is a boon.

Here's some pics (bad quality, but I've just taken them in bright sunlight):
install6.jpg

install7.jpg

install9.jpg

I'll quite happily answer any questions, if I can.

Cheers

Andrew

[edited because I left a pic out]

Last edited:
Well done Andrew, you've done a great job. I wish I could squeeze one into my 202.

Andrew,

Top effort and great, detailed pics.

Glad you are happy with the result, and bonus points for doing it yourself.

Hopefully see you on Saturday and we can compare.

TOP MAN :rock:

Cheers

Guy

Excellent post! Looks very neat.

Originally posted by Simon
Well done Andrew, you've done a great job. I wish I could squeeze one into my 202.

You CAN !

(speak to Steve K at the GTG)

Well Done Andrew

I knew you could do it! :bannana:

Why o Why do the dealers still maintain Comand retrofits can not be done. Its so easy!

Last edited:
Looks great! Comand 0wnz!

Here is where my comand is currently installed, this is only a temp location!

Attachments

• comandshelf.jpg
    comandshelf.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 1,126
.....is that your old one, or your new one ... and if new, is the old one still around ? :D

S.

It looks Brilliant Andrew, Very Professional.

Well done

Joe :D

Originally posted by sym
.....is that your old one, or your new one ... and if new, is the old one still around ? :D
That is the old one, I need to swap it with a canbus one so it will work with the w208/w210 facelift instrument cluster (also on the shelf, below the comand unit) and the w208/w210 facelift steering wheel (that I don't have yet :) ).

Originally posted by Shude
Here is where my comand is currently installed, this is only a temp location!

Shude,

Have you got any pics of it fitted in your 202? I think it's time I got one:D

Of course, posted a year ago on this forum!

comand in my w202

Thanks I remember now. A years a long time to remember things when you're old.

That looks the biz.

This looks like it might be a bit of a bargain if it'll fit. I'm not bothered about buying at this time so feel free to go for it.

Last edited:
Originally posted by Simon
This looks like it might be a bit of a bargain if it'll fit. I'm not bothered about buying at this time so feel free to go for it.
That shape of comand will only fit the R230 SL, W203 C and W209 CLK, IIRC.

That shape of comand will only fit the R230 SL, W203 C and W209 CLK, IIRC.

BEWARE! An SL Comand WILL ONLY FIT the SL It will NOT work in a C (203) or CLK (209)

Conversley the C & CLK (& G class ) whilst the same phsical shape, will definately NOT work in an SL

its to do with the CAN bus speed signals and the roof open/close sequencing ie the roof wont ope/close if the car is moving.

:)

Last edited:
Originally posted by steve_bcs
BEWARE! An SL Comand WILL ONLY FIT the SL It will NOT work in a C (203) or CLK (209)

Conversley the C & CLK (& G class ) whilst the same phsical shape, will definately NOT work in an SL

its to do with the CAN bus speed signals and the roof open/close sequencing ie the roof wont ope/close if the car is moving.
Thanks for clearing that up :)

Thanks guys - it was really very easy. I bought loads of bits just in case I needed them, but there sitting there just like Shude's (but taking up considerably less space :p ). I would love to get the facelift instrument cluster and steering wheel, but I'm sure they're far too expensive :( .

I must sort out the cd-changer or DMP3 - I miss choosing my own music :rolleyes: .

Cheers

Andrew

I've got shelves a bit like shudes too!

This clubs got a lot to answer for! :)

Hands up anyone else who has got a "Shude Shelf"

Originally posted by Flyer
Thanks guys - it was really very easy. I bought loads of bits just in case I needed them, but there sitting there just like Shude's (but taking up considerably less space :p ). I would love to get the facelift instrument cluster and steering wheel, but I'm sure they're far too expensive :( .
I have lots of bits and pieces sitting around, most of them are original parts from the car for incase I need to return the car to stock.

This was only £250, brand new from the stealership (although quite discounted, full price is more like £350):

w208amgcluster1.jpg

Steering wheel second hand is prolly about £300 including airbag I expect. Add another £50 to that for wiring and other bits and pieces and you're looking at £700ish. £1500 isn't bad for an oem satnav and headunit package, esp if you can sell the old steering wheel, instrument cluster and headunit/changer to make up the difference, you might get half of your money back :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom