Comand - Late roundabout notice

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

terry.h

Car
Mercedes A180
I purchased a new A180 a few months back and specced comand (as it seemed silly not to).

One thing that bugs me is the late notification of a roundabout, I seem to have to be almost on top of it before it will tell me which way I am going to have to turn. Hopeless if I need to get in a specific lane.

Is there any way of adjusting this?

It's even more frustrating that it will tell me 'prepare to turn left/right' what seems like an age before any other junction.

Same on C55 which is a 2004 car with Comand.

I thought that Mercedes had gone with flow and started using TomTom or Garmin now?

I'm not finding this with our GLC, it is very good with live traffic information and timely notifications. In fact if I run it in parallel with Waze on my mobile phone the announcements are at about the same time.

I wonder whether your GPS has a problem locking on to the satellites.

Also do you have full command online or is it the SD card based Satnav version?

I agree that the relatively late notification of which exit to take at an upcoming roundabout is a nuisance, but the problem generally seems to be limited to roundabouts at the end of off ramps from motorways and dual carriageways.

There's no way I know of to alter this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've got a GLC with full COMAND, 2016 Map, and head-up display.

On large (i.e motorway roundabouts) it doesn't think they are roundabouts (according to the head-up-display which shows a straight road), so if turning right, it thinks its the 3rd turning on the left, and says "Prepare to turn left" - which is crazy.

Deojngj - do you have COMAND, and what map version ?

Thanks

Richard

On large (i.e motorway roundabouts) it doesn't think they are roundabouts (according to the head-up-display which shows a straight road), so if turning right, it thinks its the 3rd turning on the left, and says "Prepare to turn left" - which is crazy.
I've noticed this on some motorway junctions with the current cartography on my E63, but I don't remember it doing this on earlier versions.

How a junction is defined is an attribute of the cartography rather than a matter of interpretation by the head unit. From the copyright notices, it looks like Daimler use aggregated sources for the COMAND cartography and there has been some consolidation in that sector over the last couple of years, so maybe something's gone awry in that process?

On a related topic, the text to speech function in COMAND provides a rich vein of humour. My current favourite is junctions on the M3 which are annunciated as "metres cubed, junction (whatever)".

Do roundabouts no longer have big signage on approach?

The speech is bobbins, and the turn left on a roundabout is farcical.
Good job I like the rest of the car. :D

Do roundabouts no longer have big signage on approach?

;^) Indeed. But when you have strayed so far from the reservation you are completely lost (as I often am) a sign that says 1st exit = Town xx may not help, as I may not know if town xx, is where I need to be heading for. Hence if the Sat Nav says take the 1st exit, assuming I can trust it? then we are all good.

Can't say that I've noticed this problem; in fact I think it sometimes tells me about the turn too early. - Is it related to the version of COMAND?

Odd comand doesn't forewarn as the factory satnav in my old 2007 Audi S3 certainly did - something along the lines of "in four hundred yards, at the roundabout take the third exit" ?

This is why I use a TomTom not the comand in my W204.

Thanks for the responses, I have the full version of comand online.

I have no issue with other junctions where it tells me a long time in advance so can't see it being a satellite issue, only happens at roundabouts.

I've had it happen at all roundabouts I've approached so far, every time it leaves it to the last minute before saying 'at the roundabout...'

Odd comand doesn't forewarn as the factory satnav in my old 2007 Audi S3 certainly did - something along the lines of "in four hundred yards, at the roundabout take the third exit" ?

This is why I use a TomTom not the comand in my W204.
That's pretty-much how COMAND does it in my car (NTG2?).
"At the roundabout take the second exit and continue to follow the A47"
I then get a little bar showing me how close to the roundabout I am.
I also get "Now turn left" when I reach the correct exit.

Maybe they've changed it for the worse in newer versions.

Thanks for the responses, I have the full version of comand online.

I have no issue with other junctions where it tells me a long time in advance so can't see it being a satellite issue, only happens at roundabouts.

I've had it happen at all roundabouts I've approached so far, every time it leaves it to the last minute before saying 'at the roundabout...'

I'm going to set it tonight, need to go out for a take away :) Maybe I've just blocked it out in my mind as lets face it we know the route for most journeys it is just handy in case of a need to deviate or get traffic information etc.

I'll also check the version I'm on.

I'm on version 2017 (v10.0)

First roundabout gave me 150 yards warning and clearly stated please take second exit. Second roundabout gave me 250 yards warning and again which exit. Third and fourth roundabouts were recognised as roundabouts at all on the maps. But to be fair they are in reality more traffic management items then a real roundabout.

First roundabout gave me 150 yards warning and clearly stated please take second exit. Second roundabout gave me 250 yards warning and again which exit.

That's my point, I don't think it's an early enough warning. If you're at a roundabout where you don't know where you're going (and signs don't show final destination) it needs to let you know what exit and road a long time before so you can get in the correct lane.

My old TomTom used to give me plenty of warning so I could position myself accordingly to the exit I was going to take.

That's my point, I don't think it's an early enough warning. If you're at a roundabout where you don't know where you're going (and signs don't show final destination) it needs to let you know what exit and road a long time before so you can get in the correct lane.

My old TomTom used to give me plenty of warning so I could position myself accordingly to the exit I was going to take.

First one was single entry, second was a dual lane. So for either it should be rather straightforward to know which lane to be in.

In addition I've found notifications distance to also be speed dependent.

Ive had numerous cars with factory nav and its always rubbish! Searching for postcodes and addresses for a start. Then theres the issues as it gets out of date- fortune to update!

A separate navigation is by far the best way, theyre 10x better than factory attempts and theyre cheap enough to renew every couple of years so always upto date.

Ive just sold my Vito with navigation which i never used- used tomtom instead, and now ordered new Vito and definitely not added the navigation!!

Mine normally indicates which lane at the 300 yard count down markers.

I went to France in June last year and took my TomTom as a belt and braces thing, this was indicating at roughly the same time.

Personally I find the built in Command system pretty good, I have used the traffic warnings and diversions from time to time and find this can be hit or miss.

On returning from France I took the advised diversions from Dover to Norwich and beat my friend whom I was in convoy with by just short of an hour.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Ive had numerous cars with factory nav and its always rubbish! Searching for postcodes and addresses for a start. Then theres the issues as it gets out of date- fortune to update!

A separate navigation is by far the best way, theyre 10x better than factory attempts and theyre cheap enough to renew every couple of years so always upto date.

Ive just sold my Vito with navigation which i never used- used tomtom instead, and now ordered new Vito and definitely not added the navigation!!

The Mercedes Command system maps update themselves ;) Traffic information is also no longer an RDS-TMC channel on FM radio but is live using the internet. Then there is the integration with the media system in the vehicle, goes quiet during phone calls (if you want it to do), integrates into voice command, mixes all audio, not separate wiring, optimum display positioning within dashboard, instrument cluster and head up display without reducing visibility by this stick on thing clearing in your face.

And then there is the integration with the iPhone (I'm sure Android does the same but I have no experience), I can easily pre-program my routes via the phone and instantly have them entered on the car. But even if you don't want that you can enter the FULL postcode on the system as well, and together with the downloadable maps it stays uptodate.

it truly is a very good integrated system in my opinion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom