Comand Navigation update

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ManofKent

Car
E 220 cdi w211 estate
Hi. I want to update my 2003 navigation maps, but am finding ir really difficult to work out which versions may be OK with this.
The original documents I have say it is Comand APS version 2003 2.3
No mention of an NTG refeference.
The disc is in a drive at the back of the car and also says Comand 2.3

There are all sorts of updated discs on ebay, but I just don't know which one to get...

The car is a 2004 build E class 220 cdi.

Can I find out more through a menu on the Comand screen?

Any help much appreciated. it is getting unnerving driving through what the sat nav says are fields!

John

Hi

When going from that old (and it really is) you sometimes get stuck going straight to the newer version. When it all unlocks, if you are near Lightwater come and see us (M3 J3) and we can get you the latest version working on there. Please don't buy and eBay copy disk - that Navigation processor will over-heat and is very expensive. You need a genuine disk even if budget means its one version older than current !!!

Richard

John, I'm glad Richard tagged your thread, you only have to search on here for nav updates and you'll find first and foremost that Comand.co.uk (Richard and Mark/Alfie) know more about comand systems than MB themselves, you'll also find horror stories of folk who have bought copy discs - admittedly some who say it works, but too many saying the disc started to load, stalled at anything up to 96%, and then you're Fubarred as you can neither go back nor forward, you're faced with the very expensive option of replacing your comand system!

As you're a long way from J3 M3, I'd first suggest you email your VIN to them as they can look up the build sheet for your car and see exactly what it left the factory with. They may also give you instructions on how to access the engineering menu to gather additional info, but if you do this be careful to only gather information, do not change anything. It may well be that you first need a firmware update before or as part of the nav update, so you may need to update twice to get (maybe close to) up to date maps.

As Richard says, with the older systems (including the NTG4 in my S204) it's possible to re-use update discs, and a "second user" set from the forums or Ebay can be far cheaper than the high price of the current disc - which by the nature of things will be about a year out of date by the time it's issued! I accept that using second user discs is a technical breach of the licence, but the extortionate price manufacturers charge for current discs (MB are bad anough at £100-150, but Porsche are far worse, as I believe are BMW and Audi!) whereas a 1 or 2 year old genuine set can be found for half that or less.

The other option is, of course, to bin the Comand system and replace it with an up to date Android unit, many have done that, some with Chinese units and some with Pioneer and similar that Comand.co.uk can supply and fit.

Thanks both.
Richard, I will be in touch once we are allowed out to play again!
I am probably not going to need sat nav until then anyway!

John

John, I'd suggest that you email your VIN ASAP to find out what you need, you can then search eBay etc for the DVD's, especially if you need an early update for the firmware update that comes with it, followed by a later maps update. If you shop on eBay, make sure you only buy genuine MB DVD's!!

I looked at the Chinese head units but failed to convince myself that it was the way to go. I spent over a grand fitting a Pioneer AVIC-910DAB with all the required antenna in a shark fin. I even bought all the proper paint to colour code it to the car, Oh and a reverse cam while I was at it. Very impressed with it all,the navi is brilliant particularly in central London, the hassle with the headliner to pull the cables from the shark fin was well worth the trouble,although it didn't seem that way at the time. The ability to run three different sat nav programmes at the touch of a button is bloody clever. I got screwed up in the Brecon Beacons in the middle of the night,pouring rain,diversion round a land slip. One navigation system just got me lost so I fired waze up used voice to give it the post code and bingo.

The car is a 2004 build E class 220 cdi.

I am not wrong class E from this year had AUDIO 50 APS and/or COMAND ONLINE APS NTG1.
Maybe enclosed guide helps you to find out what you are looking for.
Thanks

Attachments

• navigationde-uebersicht-2009-10.pdf
    798.7 KB · Views: 9
My apologies, but I have reported your post to Admin/mods because your username could be interpreted to imply a connection to our very respected forum sponsor Comand (Europe) Ltd (see Post 2 above) which, as you are in Denmark, is unlikely. I have suggested that your username should be changed to avoid any potential confusion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom