Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

EditionMsport

Car
Mercedes-Benz C270 CDI Avantgarde SE MY2005
I have a MY2005 W203 C class which currently has Comand APS along with the Harman Kardon sound system.

I would like to upgrade to a Comand NTG 2.5, as I understand from reading, a unit from a CLC will work in my car, however I would also need to change the Harman Kardon amplifier.

The problem is that I have looked everywhere but cannot get hold of part numbers for these...

Could somebody kindly tell me the part number for a CLC class Comand NTG 2.5 unit (the version with the 6 DVD changer built in), and also the part number for the Harman Kardon amplifier that I need for this?

Any help is much appreciated :)
Thanks

Hi,

Talk to Alfie or Richard from Comand Online Ltd.

They retrofitted the (2009 CLC) NTG2.5 in my MY2006 W203.

I have the single-DVD unit, as apparently the 6-DVD one is very difficult to find. Said that, Alfie was right when he said it did not make much difference - most music these days is in MP3 and resides either on the internal 4gb Music Store (hard disk based) or on the SD card (the owners manual says it is limited to 2gb, but with the latest firmware higher capacities work as well - I currently use a 4gb SD card with no problems).

I also understand that as you rightly pointed out, the HK amplifier does complicate things.

Other add-ons you may wish to consider:

Linguatronic

Convenience Telephony (if the built-in BT is not enough and you want the handset to charge while driving, or use of the external GSM aerial, or the text message read-out feature)

TV Tuner (Comand Online will - rightly - not disable the screen black-out while driving feature)

Rear headrest screens and remote control for rear seats (the rear screens obviously do not fade while driving)

DAB radio (was very expensive at the time, though Alfie said they are working on low-cost alternative)

iPod connector

Latest firmware, and latest map update (currently v5.0 which I understand is essentially a dealer-only release, next general release is v5.1 due in September)

The unit works well and it is a worthwhile upgrade. The only place where you will notice it is not original is the very tiny and very discreet after-market mic next to the base of the rear-view mirror. I understand that the original mic is integrated with the rear-view mirror itself to quite expensive to retrofit.

As said, Alfie and Richard's install is immaculate, and everything works including the instrument cluster display and steering-wheel controls.

Attachments

• W203-NTG25 a- small.jpg
    W203-NTG25 a- small.jpg
    156 KB · Views: 478
  • W203-NTG25 c- small.jpg
    W203-NTG25 c- small.jpg
    166 KB · Views: 285
Last edited:
Last edited:
You will need a new HK amp and a loom converter for the amp.

I started this upgrade on my C55 and then abandoned it as time ran out.

The comand units are very hard to come by these days as the plant where they are made is inside the exclusion zone around the Japanese nuclear plant hit by the Tsunami/Earthquake.

You will need coding plus the mics can be routed to the built in ones in the rear view mirror if you have them.

Hi,

Talk to Alfie or Richard from Comand Online Ltd.

They retrofitted the (2009 CLC) NTG2.5 in my MY2006 W203.

I have the single-DVD unit, as apparently the 6-DVD one is very difficult to find. Said that, Alfie was right when he said it did not make much difference - most music these days is in MP3 and resides either on the internal 4gb Music Store (hard disk based) or on the SD card (the owners manual says it is limited to 2gb, but with the latest firmware higher capacities work as well - I currently use a 4gb SD card with no problems).

I also understand that as you rightly pointed out, the HK amplifier does complicate things.

Other add-ons you may wish to consider:

Linguatronic

Convenience Telephony (if the built-in BT is not enough and you want the handset to charge while driving, or use of the external GSM aerial, or the text message read-out feature)

TV Tuner (Comand Online will - rightly - not disable the screen black-out while driving feature)

Rear headrest screens and remote control for rear seats (the rear screens obviously do not fade while driving)

DAB radio (was very expensive at the time, though Alfie said they are working on low-cost alternative)

iPod connector

Latest firmware, and latest map update (currently v5.0 which I understand is essentially a dealer-only release, next general release is v5.1 due in September)

The unit works well and it is a worthwhile upgrade. The only place where you will notice it is not original is the very tiny and very discreet after-market mic next to the base of the rear-view mirror. I understand that the original mic is integrated with the rear-view mirror itself to quite expensive to retrofit.

Thank you very much Markjay for your detailed input, appreciate it :thumb:
Do you remember roughly how much the total was for the conversion? Just so that I know what sort of price i'm looking at if I want this upgrade.

I understand that the 6 dvd changer version is very hard to come by, but the reason I asked about that version is because I would like some sort of a disk changer, I currently have a 6 cd changer in the glovebox (which came out of a CLC as my original cd changer did not support MP3 so i decided to upgrade) but from what I understand, the cd changer will not work with the NTG 2.5? If there is a way of making that external cd changer work, I dont mind going for the comand version with single dvd support.

You mentioned Convenience Telephony, is this actually possible with the NTG 2.5? since it already has built in bluetooth...
Would the Convenience Telephony feature work with an iPhone, in terms of charging and providing use of the external GSM areial?

I think I now understand the components required, but I would greatly appreciate part numbers, as I have a friend that may be able to supply these parts, however without part numbers he would not know what I need!

Thanks again for your help :)

You need to the HK amp(s). Comand Online sell it and list the part number: Comand Online Ltd :: Mercedes SatNav/COMAND :: COMAND Retrofit parts :: W211 last E, W219 CLS :: Harmon Kardon Amplifer for NTG2.5 COMAND They sell the Comand NTG2.5 too.

6 disc unit is harder to come by only one currently listed on ebay.

Thank you for your reply npuk :)

I've looked at the link, but the last 4 numbers of the part number have been excluded. I can understand why, but again if somebody has it, :):thumb:

I have looked around on comand online and have found this: Comand Online Ltd :: Mercedes SatNav/COMAND :: COMAND Retrofit parts :: W211 last E, W219 CLS :: HK Subwoofer Amplifer for NTG2.5 COMAND

Is this any good for me? As it's much cheaper than the one in the link you gave, and as such I would prefer using this if it can do the job.

You will need a new HK amp and a loom converter for the amp.

I started this upgrade on my C55 and then abandoned it as time ran out.

The comand units are very hard to come by these days as the plant where they are made is inside the exclusion zone around the Japanese nuclear plant hit by the Tsunami/Earthquake.

You will need coding plus the mics can be routed to the built in ones in the rear view mirror if you have them.

I've read lots of your posts Alfie, but this is the first time i'm at the receiving end :) thanks

I assume comand online have all the required parts for this retrofit. Could you post links of the loom converter you mentioned above and any other cables that I will require? Also, again I would apprecaite the part numbers for the main components (comant unit and HK amp) I've literally looked everywhere, and although I have found some, I have no clue which are correct and which will be right for my car.

I have looked around on comand online and have found this: Comand Online Ltd :: Mercedes SatNav/COMAND :: COMAND Retrofit parts :: W211 last E, W219 CLS :: HK Subwoofer Amplifer for NTG2.5 COMAND

Is this any good for me? As it's much cheaper than the one in the link you gave, and as such I would prefer using this if it can do the job.

No thats just the sub amp which you also need for some cars. In the W211 you need both amps, the one I linked to previously and the sub amp you linked too.

You cant make the old external cd changer work on the NTG2.5 unit.

Loom converter is the NTG2.5 retrofit kit shown on the W203 page: Comand Online Ltd :: Mercedes SatNav/COMAND :: COMAND Retrofit parts :: W203 last C Class & CLC, W209 CLK, W463 G

Can anyone provide the costs breakdown of the install. Also what would a original comand APS be worth from a '54 plate c-class w203?

We dont have the HK loom converter in stock but we can supply it. Its £60. You need this in addition to the main loom converter posted by NPUK.

The HK amp is £1000! and can be seen here;Comand Online Ltd :: Mercedes SatNav/COMAND :: COMAND Retrofit parts :: W211 last E, W219 CLS :: Harmon Kardon Amplifer for NTG2.5 COMAND

dont be tempted to buy an NTG 2.5 HK amp from any other type od car (such as an ML/R/GL) as it wont work. Believe me I tried it.

A used Comand (NTG 2) should fetch about £400 on ebay.

Just to say that I opted for a brand new NTG2.5 unit which came in an original MB box, with user's manual and 1-year warranty - supplied and (very professionally) fitted by Alfie and Richard.

I have seen second-hand NTG2.5 units go on eBay For about 2/3 of the price of a new unit (strangely many seem to come from sellers in Latvia for some reason), but my personal view was that I would only take a chance on a second-hand unit from an overseas seller if it was ridiculously cheap, which these units were not. But I am not suggesting that it would be unwise to buy off eBay, it is a personal choice.

And with Alfie saying that the source for new units has all but dried up, I am glad I bought mine when I did... :)

Last edited:
No thats just the sub amp which you also need for some cars. In the W211 you need both amps, the one I linked to previously and the sub amp you linked too.

You cant make the old external cd changer work on the NTG2.5 unit.

Loom converter is the NTG2.5 retrofit kit shown on the W203 page: Comand Online Ltd :: Mercedes SatNav/COMAND :: COMAND Retrofit parts :: W203 last C Class & CLC, W209 CLK, W463 G

Ok I see which loom converter I need. Thanks for pointing it out.

The cd changer is from a CLC, is there any way of making it work? I wouldn't be bothered about the external cd changer if the NTG 2.5 with DVD changer was not so hard to get hold of.

We dont have the HK loom converter in stock but we can supply it. Its £60. You need this in addition to the main loom converter posted by NPUK.

The HK amp is £1000! and can be seen here;Comand Online Ltd :: Mercedes SatNav/COMAND :: COMAND Retrofit parts :: W211 last E, W219 CLS :: Harmon Kardon Amplifer for NTG2.5 COMAND

dont be tempted to buy an NTG 2.5 HK amp from any other type od car (such as an ML/R/GL) as it wont work. Believe me I tried it.

A used Comand (NTG 2) should fetch about £400 on ebay.

How long would it take to supply the HK loom converter?
Do you have a rough estimate for the NTG 2.5 unit alone supplied only? And an estimate for the whole upgrade (including HK amp and coding etc) all provided by you?

Just to say that I opted for a brand new NTG2.5 unit which came in an original MB box, with user's manual and 1-year warranty - supplied and (very professionally) fitted by Alfie and Richard.

I have seen second-hand NTG2.5 units go on eBay For about 2/3 of the price of a new unit (strangely many seem to come from sellers in Latvia for some reason), but my personal view was that I would only take a chance on a second-hand unit from an overseas seller if it was ridiculously cheap, which these units were not. But I am not suggesting that it would be unwise to buy off eBay, it is a personal choice.

And with Alfie saying that the source for new units has all but dried up, I am glad I bought mine when I did... :)

I would also go for a brand new unit, however as of yet I still don't know what sort of price it is going to cost. If somebody could give an estimate then I can start rationalising whether it's feasible or not.

All the prices are on Comand Onlines site.

Saludos

Hola he leido que has adactado un comand ntg

yo tengo un clk w209 2003 y quiero instalarle un comand ntg2
si eres tan amable y dispones de algun esquema te lo agradezco
me refiero al conector que lleva el comand2.0 (c2) para poder conectarlo a los conectores blanco y negro de 12 pines cada uno
estos conectores van en el conector fakra....

El conector c2 del comand 2.0 va encima de los conectores iso
gracias

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom