Comand NTG 2.5 - Zero Satellites with SD Card – I may have a potential fix!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

timtjohnson

Car
W212 and W169
Like others I was disappointed recently to find that whenever I have an SD card inserted in my retrofit NTG 2.5 unit, the satellite count in the compass screen drops to zero. Whilst the compass feature isn’t really a problem, I suspect this does explain why from time-to-time I am shown as ‘off road’ or running along a parallel road to my real location. From other forum postings I understood this to be a known bug in recent firmware updates.

I have two cars, both with NTG 2.5 (thank you to Alfie and Richard at ComandOnline for coding both – would highly recommend). Interestingly though, one car had the issue whilst the other works perfectly. I decided to investigate and here are my findings….

Both cars have:
· Comand NTG 2.5 with 09/29 firmware
· Version 7.0 (Europe 2011/2012) map update – btw - anyone want to buy my update DVD’s? - see my eBay item 160831759802
· Sandisk 32GB SDHC cards – [latest firmware enables the use SDHC cards]
· Mercedes GPS Antennas (MB Part No. B6 7 82 3580)

Whilst the Compass view is useful for diagnostics, the GPS Information shown in Engineering Mode (hold down Hang-up + * + 6 for 8 seconds) provides much more detail (see attached photos) - I have relied on this for my testing (referred to as GPS Info View).

With the SD card inserted, I had zero satellites showing in compass view and the GPS Info View showed nine blue satellites. If I ejected the SD card then the blue satellites turned yellow. I have assumed that each blue dot in the 3D column indicates a separate satellite signal being received, whereas a yellow dot indicates that the signal being received is reliable and its ‘locked-on’ [better explanation welcome?]. The only other real difference between the two SD card states (in or out) is that the C/N column (carrier noise) either shows zeros or low numbers when the SD card is inserted.

Clearly, the SD-Card is affecting the quality of GPS signals being received, as opposed to there being no signal at all. This would explain why I could drive around for days without an apparent signal in the compass screen and yet still be in exactly the right place on the map – (need to test what happens to the map if the GPS antenna is physically disconnected. I appreciate there is a speed signal and gyroscope but it can't be meter accurate for hundreds of miles can it – anyone?)

I then relocated my antenna from under the dashboard to outside my car and on-top of the roof…and hey presto! I had full signal regardless of the SD card status. After much playing around I found that the unit was very sensitive to the GPS antenna’s location (millimetre changes) and the way in which the excess cable was stored. I still have the antenna above the cluster (under dash) but slightly to the left and the excess cable is coiled very neatly and pinched together with the supplied cardboard ring (to about 5 inches in length) – this process is fiddly and very much trial and error but worth persisting with.

To verify my theory, I took the antenna out of my other car (the working one) and was able to replicate the issue I had.

In summary, I have provisionally concluded that the SD card creates some sort of inherence that degrades the GPS signal. This results in the GPS antenna (and cable) being extremely sensitive to location and storage. If your car has this problem, try this fix out and post your findings. If your car doesn’t exhibit these symptoms, it could be luck that the GPS antenna is already in the optimum position!

I would very much welcome other people’s thoughts, or results of testing.

Attachments

• SD Card In -small.JPG
    SD Card In -small.JPG
    27.1 KB · Views: 133
  • SD Card Out -small.jpg
    SD Card Out -small.jpg
    23.4 KB · Views: 126
Last edited:
Very very interesting.

I had the 'parallel road' syndrome on my unit (Comandonline-installed NTG2.5), and Alfie kindly replaced the GPS antenna under the dash (using original MB part) which considerably improved - though not fully resolved - the situation.

I am now thinking that what you say may have merit....

However... I don't actually use an SD card - other than to copy music files to the Music Store - i.e. the SD card is not left in the SD slot.

So I am thinking that the 'zero satellites with SD card' and the 'parallel road due to location of under-dash antenna and cable' may be two separate issues?

I also think they are separate issues.

It is well documented that on some vehicles, the insertion of an SD card results in zero satellites in compass screen within 5-10 seconds, then removal of the card will bring the count back up.

Could it be that the 'parallel road' issue is related, so far as it being a weak reception issue on retrofit comands as they use a GPS antenna that wouldn't have been sited under the dash had it been a factory fit?

Yes...

I wonder how awkward it would be to install an external GPS antenna? I am not a fan of wires running across the cabin...

Hi, could be that the coil of spare antenna cable is acting as an induction loop - which means that it could be picking up spurious electrical (magnetic) energy and creating noise within the antenna signal wire, which although miniscule in level may be enough to confuse the system because the energy levels it is expecting from the satellite signals are themselves very very low.
Might be better to try and stretch out the spare cable rather than create a coil - especially around a former which could exacerbate the situation.

Does anyone know is the antenna powered? i.e is there any 'up the cable voltage' or is it entirely passive?

Great info, it is an annoying bug. What you have found makes sense from what I have read about the problem.

Worth seeing if actually leaving the spare cable cabled or uncoiled behind the comand unit is better than leaving it coiled on the cluster. Maybe the interference is from the cluster area? Maybe try other locations for the antenna like on top of the glovebox under the dash.

Last edited:
I have the same problem and I am wondering if ferrites could be a solution.... I already order some from ebay and I will try

Like others I was disappointed recently to find that whenever I have an SD card inserted in my retrofit NTG 2.5 unit, the satellite count in the compass screen drops to zero. Whilst the compass feature isn’t really a problem, I suspect this does explain why from time-to-time I am shown as ‘off road’ or running along a parallel road to my real location. From other forum postings I understood this to be a known bug in recent firmware updates.

I have two cars, both with NTG 2.5 (thank you to Alfie and Richard at ComandOnline for coding both – would highly recommend). Interestingly though, one car had the issue whilst the other works perfectly. I decided to investigate and here are my findings….

Both cars have:
· Comand NTG 2.5 with 09/29 firmware
· Version 7.0 (Europe 2011/2012) map update – btw - anyone want to buy my update DVD’s? - see my eBay item 160831759802
· Sandisk 32GB SDHC cards – [latest firmware enables the use SDHC cards]
· Mercedes GPS Antennas (MB Part No. B6 7 82 3580)

Whilst the Compass view is useful for diagnostics, the GPS Information shown in Engineering Mode (hold down Hang-up + * + 6 for 8 seconds) provides much more detail (see attached photos) - I have relied on this for my testing (referred to as GPS Info View).

With the SD card inserted, I had zero satellites showing in compass view and the GPS Info View showed nine blue satellites. If I ejected the SD card then the blue satellites turned yellow. I have assumed that each blue dot in the 3D column indicates a separate satellite signal being received, whereas a yellow dot indicates that the signal being received is reliable and its ‘locked-on’ [better explanation welcome?]. The only other real difference between the two SD card states (in or out) is that the C/N column (carrier noise) either shows zeros or low numbers when the SD card is inserted.

Clearly, the SD-Card is affecting the quality of GPS signals being received, as opposed to there being no signal at all. This would explain why I could drive around for days without an apparent signal in the compass screen and yet still be in exactly the right place on the map – (need to test what happens to the map if the GPS antenna is physically disconnected. I appreciate there is a speed signal and gyroscope but it can't be meter accurate for hundreds of miles can it – anyone?)

I then relocated my antenna from under the dashboard to outside my car and on-top of the roof…and hey presto! I had full signal regardless of the SD card status. After much playing around I found that the unit was very sensitive to the GPS antenna’s location (millimetre changes) and the way in which the excess cable was stored. I still have the antenna above the cluster (under dash) but slightly to the left and the excess cable is coiled very neatly and pinched together with the supplied cardboard ring (to about 5 inches in length) – this process is fiddly and very much trial and error but worth persisting with.

To verify my theory, I took the antenna out of my other car (the working one) and was able to replicate the issue I had.

In summary, I have provisionally concluded that the SD card creates some sort of inherence that degrades the GPS signal. This results in the GPS antenna (and cable) being extremely sensitive to location and storage. If your car has this problem, try this fix out and post your findings. If your car doesn’t exhibit these symptoms, it could be luck that the GPS antenna is already in the optimum position!

I would very much welcome other people’s thoughts, or results of testing.

hello,
How do you have fix it this?
Thank you

hello,
How do you have fix it this?
Thank you

The 'zero satellites when SD card is inserted' issue on COMAND NTG2.5 is resolved with a firmware upgrade. Talk to www.comandonline.co.uk if you want this done.

There are other issues that can cause zero satellites though, e.g. faulty GPS antenna etc.

Just noticed this happening this morning on way to work, car had me "off road". :(

Only thing I've done is upgrade the maps from V4 to V15 yesterday.

Looks like I have to remove the SD card then it seems to be ok.

I can't copy to Music Register as I don't appear to have one on this version (single disc) of NTG2.5 so will just have to leave the SD card out when I don't know where I am.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom