Comand NTG 4.5 Problem - Japanese Error and Frozen screen

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Oddie

Car
W204 C220 Sport
Hello all. I’ve just purchased a 61 registered C250 Sport edition 125. It has Comand NTG 4.5 but unfortunately doesn’t work. When the ignition is turned on, the Mercedes’ logo appears on the screen which is then quickly followed by an error message In Japanese writing apart from a bit in the middle which says key off.

There are a few other threads with this exact error but unfortunately nobody seems to have posted a fix.

Strangely, one radio station was working when I picked it up but that’s now gone out of range so I’m now greeted with a load of static noise!

I’ve tried pulling the 20 amp fuse in the engine compartment, rebooting the unit multiple times and I’ve even removed it from the car and checked all the wires.

Any ideas? Any help would be greatly appreciated

I had considered buying a japanese import car a few years ago but having done some research it became clear some electronic components would not work due to frequencies (radio being one) and also something to do with Comand and the fact that the looms on japanese cars are different - so it was a non starter for me.

Perhaps Alfi at Comand online can help and has seen this issue before and has a solution.

Thanks for the reply. I’m starting to suspect that it might be some sort of internal component failure within the Comand unit itself. I can buy a used one on eBay but just worry about having it coded and overcoming the anti theft stuff etc.

Does anybody know how difficult that is? I believe Xentry is required

The first thing to do is probably try and re-flash the firmware with STAR.

If this proves impossible, I would check the internal HDD, it may have failed.

Other than that, a second hand unit off eBay, with same MB part number, and ask the seller in advance to supply also the anti-theft code.

Thanks mark. If the seller supplies me with the anti theft code, is it relatively straight forward to get the new unit working? Is this something I could do myself?

Thanks mark. If the seller supplies me with the anti theft code, is it relatively straight forward to get the new unit working? Is this something I could do myself?

I have not tried it myself, but from what I read online, as long as the MB part number is the same, then it should be a straight swap. I don't think the new unit needs to be coded to the VIN, but again I don't have first hand experience. Others might know.

It’s a standard uk car and worked perfect last week for the previous owner. He got it in one day and it did this, been like that ever since

OK , just that #2 mentioned Japanese import and you did not respond. So hopefully not too complicated to sort out . Best of luck.

Alfie of comandonline might be along soon.

This is a known fault. We have fixed a couple of them but not all. First thing to try is to have us see if we can fix it for you. Failing that a replacement unit from ebay can be coded to your car. You will need the anti theft pin (we can get it for you if needed but this costs). You will also need a new map pin to load the maps onto a replacement unit.

[email protected]

No its not.

glad your getting it sorted OP.

Fingers crossed, thanks for everyone’s input, most appreciated

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom