COMAND NTG1 Digital TV Lost Reception. Any Thoughts?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Teego

MB Enthusiast
Car
CLS55 AMG
My CLS55 W219 was supplied ex-factory with Comand NTG1 and Digital TV.
Over the last couple of years it has become more difficult for the tuner to find a signal. Now it can't find any. This happens everywhere so isn't about location.
The DVD player works perfectly. AM / FM radio reception is good.
Does anyone have experience of this problem and any solutions?
Very grateful for your advice.

Your CLS must have been a special build as all other Comand NTG1 of that era were supplied with an an@logue TV tuner. Comandonline sell/sold an aftermarket digital retrofit upgrade pack. They may be the best people to contact for advice.

Your tuner will be one that goes via Aux ports or that piggyybacked on the original box.

Could just be a cheap box thats died ot the antenna has given up the ghost. check the antenna first and replace, cheapest option. in boot LHS remove trunk lining. guess its all in the original place?!

Your CLS must have been a special build as all other Comand NTG1 of that era were supplied with an an@logue TV tuner. Comandonline sell/sold an aftermarket digital retrofit upgrade pack. They may be the best people to contact for advice.
Yes it is rather special. £8500 extras. Comand APS £1990 and Digital TV £820

Hi
I had the same issues with my digital tuner in my CLS 55 (digital tuner factory fitted as yours) I originally thought the same as you that i had issues with either the aerials or aerial amp.
I checked the aerials on STAR and it turned out they were ok, so I bit the bullet and bought a second hand tuner (searched by it's Pt.No. on Ebay) and replaced it.
Very straight forward to replace there is some coding to do but this coding didn't seem to effect it working straight after replacing.
I think if i was to replace it again I would use the Aux connections on it and use an aftermarket tuner if i can sort out a method of using the cars aerials.

Last edited:
The digital tuner indeed was available for 219 CLS at least for some time. Posting the VIN would help avoiding discussion about that.

Andy, how did Star show antennas good if the amp was not? Was antenna amplifier diagnosis via the TV tuner or would the amplifier have diagnostics capabilities? There are two anyway, odd if either both amplifiers fail or if both lose contact to the rear window. Or could it be gradual, owner not noticing one amp only failing perhaps.

The after market tuner could be an option but would not integrate with COMAND controls as nicely as the OEM tuner. Another option these days could be to stream video from a smart phone but the car would equally need some additional HW for that.

Hi
Sorry I might not of explained myself correctly, because of the issues I was having I didn't know whether it was a problem with the aerials or the amplifier.
But by proving the aerials on STAR by default I proved the amplifier(s).
Please bare in mind this was a long time ago now, but I believe I access the aerial test via the TV Tuner, and thats where I had to code it as I bought it from a breaker in Lithuania so had to be coded to the UK.

Hi
I had the same issues with my digital tuner in my CLS 55 (digital tuner factory fitted as yours) I originally thought the same as you that i had issues with either the aerials or aerial amp.
I checked the aerials on STAR and it turned out they were ok, so I bit the bullet and bought a second hand tuner (searched by it's Pt.No. on Ebay) and replaced it.
Very straight forward to replace there is some coding to do but this coding didn't seem to effect it working straight after replacing.
I think if i was to replace it again I would use the Aux connections on it and use an aftermarket tuner if i can sort out a method of using the cars aerials.
Thanks for that Andy
Where is the tuner located on the CLS?
Does TV share the same roof aerial as the radio?
Where is the aerial amp?
TIA
Chris

Hi
In the boot, by the Sat. Nav. drive, though you have to remove the boot side paneling to actually remove it.
No, it has 4 in no. TV aerials, and they are in the rear glass.
Where is the aerial amp?
From memory there are two amplifiers, one behind each C pillar trim.

Hi
In the boot, by the Sat. Nav. drive, though you have to remove the boot side paneling to actually remove it.
Where is the aerial amp?
Thanks Andy. Looks like I'll be doing some probing over the weekend.

Before I got the tools out I ran through all the on-screen settings.
In the Settings menu there is a Country tab. Open this and you should get a list of counties to set your DTV.
I've seen the list in my settings before so I know what it should look like.
But Today Nothing.
Does anyone know how to recover this or is it possible to do a factory reset? I suspect this problem is in Comand rather than the tuner, but I may be wrong.
TIA all

Before I got the tools out I ran through all the on-screen settings.
In the Settings menu there is a Country tab. Open this and you should get a list of counties to set your DTV.
I've seen the list in my settings before so I know what it should look like.
But Today Nothing.
Does anyone know how to recover this or is it possible to do a factory reset? I suspect this problem is in Comand rather than the tuner, but I may be wrong.
TIA all
The country list has suddenly reappeared. WTF. The tuner seeks but cannot find.

Hi
Where is the aerial amp?
Hi Andy Apologies for jumping on this thread just joined up as I saw a comment you made a couple years back and wanted to know if you had some more information on it but I can’t find a way to message directly.

Hi,
My understanding is they don't update any software unless that particular ECU is causing problems.
The engine control unit software was a recall which was instigated by MB so no charge to the customer and the update fee paid for by MB.
If i was buying again I would insist the maps to be updated, but please dont ask me how to check the version its currently got as I have not a clue I have looked everywhere and cannot for the life of me find it I have NTG 5*2 and according to Markjay is the same as you're new car.
Apple Car Play/Android Auto can be added reasonably cheaply, just a new USB socket box and a software update to the command system, the USB Box was about £75, about 10-15 minutes to fit, then take it to MB for the software update there is specific worksheet for them to follow which updates the car's data card and the command software, if you fit the box yourself I reckon you could get it done for approx. £200ish.

I have a c220 estate, and I want the apple android but I’m not it’s not possible, I have found third party boxes that you connect to the system but not sure on reliability. Then saw your post and wanted to know if you have any information on the USB I’d need how to fit, what to say to Mercedes for them to update.

Thank you for your time

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom