Comand NTG1 to NTG2.5 Upgrade

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GordonTarling

MB Enthusiast
Car
2007 E63 AMG V8 Estate
I'm thinking of changing the NTG1 Comand in my present car to an NTG2.5. Alfie at Comand online has been very helpful and given me a very reasonable price for fitting it. Is there anyone else here who has done this upgrade that can tell me whether or not you felt it was worth doing and whether there are any pitfalls? Thanks!

Gizze swapped his over on his old S211 and was pleased with the result iirc.

Very easy to do and very much worth the upgrade. 3D Maps, full post code search, HDD (much faster and more reliable), music store, updated screen and interface, SD Slot and Bluetooth built in.

Flog all of the un-needed bits on e-bay, and you should recoup a fair bit of your costs (AGW and DVD drive in the boot, your Head Unit and if you have them, CD Changer and Phone Cradle)

I'm thinking of changing the NTG1 Comand in my present car to an NTG2.5. Alfie at Comand online has been very helpful and given me a very reasonable price for fitting it. Is there anyone else here who has done this upgrade that can tell me whether or not you felt it was worth doing and whether there are any pitfalls? Thanks!

What sort of cost are you looking at ?

I have swapped by myself and very satisfied. Only bad think is poor FM radio at out of city. (anyone know how to fix it?) Unit (1 DVD) costs like 500€ and harness ~170€. I sold my old NTG1 and Navigation unit for 650€.. Next upgrade will be shift paddles..

Last edited:
Not on an E-Class, but on my C-Class.... NTG2.5 installed by Alfie. An upgrade well worth having.

Fly.eng - the cost depends largely on what you have to pay for the NTG2.5 and how much you can get for what was removed. If you can DIY, then you can save three or four hundred pounds. It appears to be relatively simple to do, but the car will need some coding in order to make it all work. Still trying to decide if it's worth doing on a 7 year old car.

Fly.eng - the cost depends largely on what you have to pay for the NTG2.5 and how much you can get for what was removed. If you can DIY, then you can save three or four hundred pounds. It appears to be relatively simple to do, but the car will need some coding in order to make it all work. Still trying to decide if it's worth doing on a 7 year old car.

Thats my delema, is it worth it? I used to find my way around perfectly well long before sat. navs.

flt.eng - given your user name, I'd have thought that you might be more accustomed to finding your way by using INS systems rather than car sat-navs. :) Comandonline will do the basic install for around £300, all in. The NTG2.5 unit can be found on Ebay from time to time at any price from £400 upwards - I have contact with an East European supplier who APPEARS to be trustworthy, but I'm still slightly dubious as to the source of them. I have fears that I might be buying back my stolen unit!

Gordon, ive considered this upgrade too, but like you have wondered if it is worth it. for me i have tv, cd chnager, rear screen as well as ipod kit etc... so changing out may mean alot more work!

flt.eng - given your user name, I'd have thought that you might be more accustomed to finding your way by using INS systems rather than car sat-navs. :) Comandonline will do the basic install for around £300, all in. The NTG2.5 unit can be found on Ebay from time to time at any price from £400 upwards - I have contact with an East European supplier who APPEARS to be trustworthy, but I'm still slightly dubious as to the source of them. I have fears that I might be buying back my stolen unit!

Whats INS ? It used to be maps eyes & a sextant in my day, & then this box came in where all you had to do was put in a few Lats. & Longs & as if by magic, the A/C took you there.
No wonder I need a satnav.

NTG2.5 is a fantastic system that incorporates navigtion, telephony, and music (and some other features if you go for the option list), fully integrates with the steering wheel controls and instrument cluster display, and all this while eliminating the clutter of cables, wires, and sucktion caps across the cabin.

Not to mention that there is no need to hide anything when you park the car.

You can recoup some of the cost by removing it from the car when you are ready and sell them both separately.

If you intend to keep the car for a while then my answer would be a resounding yes.

I have NTG1, what cost are we looking at to get the job done to latest NTG.....i would also like a cost for fitting TV....Alfie?

Whats INS ? It used to be maps eyes & a sextant in my day, & then this box came in where all you had to do was put in a few Lats. & Longs & as if by magic, the A/C took you there.
No wonder I need a satnav.

INS = Inertial Navigation system.

I have NTG1, what cost are we looking at to get the job done to latest NTG.....i would also like a cost for fitting TV....Alfie?

Email me your full VIN ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom