COMAND NTG2.5 Bluetooth - or phone pre-wiring

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fast_eddie

Car
E280 CDI
Hi all,

some of the run-out W211s have the newer COMAND NTG2.5 (with bluetooth built in) but also have the telephone pre-wiring option.

I know that the pre-wiring allows you to use a cradle (if there is one for your model of phone) which is an obvious benefit for charging the phone.

However, if you're going bluetooth, is there any need for the pre-wired option since the NTG 2.5 should suffice ?

Thanks,
Eddie

Hi all,

some of the run-out W211s have the newer COMAND NTG2.5 (with bluetooth built in) but also have the telephone pre-wiring option.

I know that the pre-wiring allows you to use a cradle (if there is one for your model of phone) which is an obvious benefit for charging the phone.

However, if you're going bluetooth, is there any need for the pre-wired option since the NTG 2.5 should suffice ?

Thanks,
Eddie

The built in bluetooth works well but not with all phones.

If it were me buying and speccing a new car then I would specify Comfort phone as this allows a fixed cradle.

Hi all,

Thanks,
Eddie

How did you conclude the NTG 2.5 BT would suffice? I believe many owners do consider it sufficient but there are other advantages than being able to charge the phone when put on a cradle. To me the main advantage is that comfort telephony supports the BT SAP adapter.

Thanks lads,

may be a terminology thing that I'm tripping over - by "Comfort Telephony", do you mean the UHI adapter onto which you can connect a cradle or the SAP SLR bluetooth, or alternatively the Viseeo bluetooth modules.

By "suffice", I would understand the bare minimum as: make & take calls via COMAND & steering wheel, and phone book access.

Having had the MB SAP module (subject to phone compatibility), I know that this gives enhanced reception over a phone-only reception. Also allows visibility to SMS messages.

I'm now using a Viseeo MB-2, and I guess my question boils down to this: would the NTG 2.5 give me equivalent functionality to the Viseeo, or do I need to hang onto the Viseeo and use it in conjunction with COMAND?

Thanks,
Eddie

I have no issues with the built in bluetooth on the NTG2.5 and reception is fine. Yes it wont show text messages on the Comand screen but that isnt much of an issue IMO.

Last edited:
Eddie,

NTG 2.5 will give you the same functionality as the MB-2. You wouldnt need a cradle or your UHI converting to comfort telephony.

I'm confusled. So can you have pre-wired phone with ntg2.5? And how would you do this? Replace the existing pre-wired phone in the butterfly with a newer version?

It is not a pre-wired phone. It is phone pre-wire which is the UHI connector for the exchangeable cradle system.

With the newer MY2009 cars the pre-wire (option 386) is called comfort phone. It provides a UHI connection plate for a cradle if you want to use the cars antenna. It is not the same as pre MY2009 pre-wire (also option 386). The cabling and power are different.

I have no issues with the built in bluetooth on the NTG2.5 and reception is fine. Yes it wont show text messages on the Comand screen but that isnt much of an issue IMO.

That is fair enough but the above does not mean someone else could not have issues. Better to have the differences explained and let each car owner decide on his/her own.

If one keeps the phone deep in the pocket, drives rural poor coverage roads and has a car with IR windows throughout, reception issues are very likely. Besides the phone consumes a lot of power even if could reach the network and the phone is running from its own battery in this case.

Incoming text message being instantly readable can be important for some, irrelevant for another car owner.

BT HF has some other benefits (compatibility for example), but these have been discussed several times already.

With the newer MY2009 cars the pre-wire (option 386) is called comfort phone. It provides a UHI connection plate for a cradle if you want to use the cars antenna. It is not the same as pre MY2009 pre-wire (also option 386). The cabling and power are different.

Isn't the audio connectivity over BT anyway with the comfort phone option (BT from the cradle to the head unit)? The cradle does not have more than power, ground and was it mute wire connected (just to emphasise the difference with 386 cradles)? I've never used one of these myself.

Eddie,

NTG 2.5 will give you the same functionality as the MB-2. You wouldnt need a cradle or your UHI converting to comfort telephony.

Thanks Alfie - question well and truly answered.

Main reason for asking, one car I was looking at had both options factory fitted, so I wondered which was the better of the two to use or if there is any difference at all.

Thanks again,
Eddie

Isn't the audio connectivity over BT anyway with the comfort phone option (BT from the cradle to the head unit)? The cradle does not have more than power, ground and was it mute wire connected (just to emphasise the difference with 386 cradles)? I've never used one of these myself.

Yes thats correct although there is an antenna connection too.

Just in case anyone is considering similar - the HTC HD2 pairs perfectly with the COMAND NTG 2.5 :thumb:

Regards,
Eddie

NTG2.5 and BT phone

Did you also manage to automatically sync the address book? (e.g. two phones)

I have had both a iPhone 4 and my current Samsung Galaxy Note II sync with the NTG2.5 with no issues..
Yes the contacts all imported seamlessly. :thumb:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom