Comand NTG2.5 Questions

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

kid-jensen

MB Enthusiast
Car
ML 320 W164
First post about my new (to Me) ML320...

I've apparently got a Comand NTG2.5 but the Owners Manual supplied with the car refers to a completely different device, one with Line keys and Buttons mine doesn't have.

Consequently, I'm having problems driving the thing..

Here's a picture of the one I have:-

https://onedrive.live.com/redir?res...authkey=!AEvps2aY-2pUV-I&v=3&ithint=photo,jpg

When I read Comand NTG2.5 Manuals that appear similar, they refer to buttons I haven't got, like "System", so I'm having trouble doing even the basic stuff.

My main questions (for now!) are:-

1. How do I store a radio station to one of the six buttons?

2. The lighting on the 12 buttons either side of the display is not working, which is a pain at night. The Volume knob and direction arrows illuminate fine. Could this be a configuration thing, or am I going to have to take it out of the dash for a look-see?

3, Anyone know where the Manual for my exact model is available online?

Apologies for all these questions at once, but I'd really appreciate some help here..

Last edited:
That head unit looks like a non genuine MB aftermarket copy, if you google images of the ntg2.5. Other members with more knowledge than me will be able to confirm this

image-668234563.jpg

This is an image of the Comand Ntg2.5.

That is, as John Says not a comand unit.

As to the make you may have to pull the unit out and have a look on the back as there are quite a few that look very similar then maybe google for instructions.

To store a radio channel you would normally tune to the required frequency and then press and hold your desired location button for between 5 and 10 seconds.

HTH

As others said - this is an non-MB aftermarket unit, this is not COMAND (NTG2.5 or other variant).

I am assuming that the original unit went faulty at some point, and perhaps the previous owner considered the cost of an original MB unit too high.

Or perhaps COMAND was swapped for what the previous owner considered as an 'upgrade', and flogged the old COMAND unit on eBay.

Also, the picture you posted is not from your own car, but from a website called www.seicane.com, so if you check there you will be able to identify the model of SatNav installed in your car.

15x62bq.jpg

Thanks for the replys..

Sure enough, a quick look-around the seicane.com site confirmed I have a non-original unit on my Console. The price looks really high to me (~$520), but as I haven't bought any kind of "stereo" (as they used to be called) for about 30 years, I guess my price expectations need to be raised a bit.

The site also had access to an Owners Manual and fitting advice, so I'm happy.

There may even be an explanation as to why the buttons don't light up, or why the CD changer appers to be dead...

Anything more than a basic CD player is new to me, but I have the Owners Manual now, so I'm on a roll..

I would imagine whoever installed it did not bother with the "lights" wire when they installed it.

If its the factory CD changer then it won't work as its only compatible with factory head units

Factory navigation units are thousands of pounds ! These Chinese aftermarket units can be unreliable - but costs are much less than branded aftermarket units or Mercedes genuine parts.

I guess its a 50k+ car when new, and the parts don't get any cheaper to replace !

Cheers

Richard

Richard,

Thanks for the advice, I can see why the previous owner kept quiet about the CD changer now...

Mind, he did advertise it as "Taxed till September 2015" but failed to mention that the Tax is now cancelled when you sell....(no, I didn't know that!). Would have been awkward if I was stopped by the Bill on the way home...

You live n learn, I suppose...

Also, judging by your signature then that indicates that you have a 2007 ML320 and I believe NTG2.5 was first introduced on model year 2009 vehicles. But, as mentioned by other posters already, that unit is a non-MB device and although you cannot access the original CD-changer and the lights don't lit up you may still have a fine replacement which at least is better than the previous unit (whatever that was).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom