Comand on 2000 year CLK230

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

sjmaxwell

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
2016 SL63
Got to the last bit of my install now for which someone says you need to move pin 33 to 34 in the diagnostic socket. I don't have a pin in 33 and in 34 is a green with red tracer lead not black (or black/white - can't remember) as is in pin 2 of Comand socket A.

Will the dealer still be able to configure comand or do I need a new wire to the diag socket and pin 2, socket A of Comand?

that IS the wire...and if it is in pos 34 - it sits properly for dealer service

greetingz,

Got the dealer to configure the car for Comand today free of charge.

However, when I looked at the dashboard, the small display wasn't showing any directions. When I asked they said that not all CLK208's dash displays could do this, indeed, not all CLK209 dashboards can show the directions either!

So, even if you have the facelifted model CLK (or purchase a new dash for other cars) there is no guarantee that you will get this to work after the dealer has done his bit and you could still end up using the main screen on Comand.

Just thought I'd let people know!

I think they are pulling your leg.

Why do some display and not others?

Something about the din plug on the back. It didn't sound right to me but the 'Navi' menu that is shown in the handbook doesn't show, although the error messages have been cleared from the Comand unit.

Any ideas what to do now?

My in -dash nav display (W208) worked perfectly after the dealer connected his Star unit up and told the car computer (not the comand unit) that comand was 'present'. I can't believe that any facelift W208 with the in-dash display won't display nav info.

This mod does not require the K-Leitung wire to be moved on the multipole connector.

That wire only gives the star machine access to the comand unit for direct access, eg to tell comand that TV tuner is connected etc

Paul G

I think the dealer was inferring that only certain models are fully wired in the dash. Mine, for example, doesn't have an oil temp screen which perhaps a CLK320 may have.

I would be interested in what others have found with this and, indeed, if the dealer is talking a load of b@!!*+ks!!

Originally posted by sjmaxwell
I think the dealer was inferring that only certain models are fully wired in the dash. Mine, for example, doesn't have an oil temp screen which perhaps a CLK320 may have.
It is ALL bullsh!t...all multifunctional instrument clusters come with certain variable settings...such as:
teleaid - (not) present
phone - (not) present
navigation - (not) present
auto transmission - (not) present
automatic climate control - (not) present
adjusteable steering wheel column (only in W208) - (not) present

Checking the oil from the instrument cluster comes with the motortype that is selected...have your IC set to a 430 engine and it will tell you immediately to turn off the engine because there is a lack of motoroil.
You can even set the cluster to US spec so it will start to beep and tell you to take the key out of ignition when the car is shut off and the driver door is opened (probably pass door in your cars ;) ).

I have been programming 4 new CLK55 clusters last saturday for installation in US spec 1998 E320, 2000 E320 station. 1998 CLK430 and 1998 E430...the dealer can set whatever he want unless the tech behind the machine doesn't know too much (I had to activate the navigation screen in a Belgium W209 CLK on a saturday 1,5 week ago myself since the one tech who was on duty didn't know how to...). hence the reason why I ordered our own stardiagnose :cool: .

greetingz,

Thanks Steve I knew if anyone knew it would be you!!

But how do I get mine done now when the local dealer has no clue!! The problem in the UK is we now have these 'super dealers' that own the franchise across large swathes of Britain!!

Any help would be appreciated.

Got it done today. Took it to another independent dealer (Vikings of Canterbury). They said they would try and 15 mins later the job was done - no charge!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom