Comand Online AfterMarket CarPlay and Android Auto System

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tony7Bear

Car
C220d Sport Premium Plus
Carplay system

Hi everyone, I'm considering buying the unit shown in the link above and having it fitted in my 2018 model C220d but before I do I was wondering if anyone here has purchased it? If so what are your thoughts on it, was it money well spent, would you recommend it?

Carplay system

Hi everyone, I'm considering buying the unit shown in the link above and having it fitted in my 2018 model C220d but before I do I was wondering if anyone here has purchased it? If so what are your thoughts on it, was it money well spent, would you recommend it?
You get a forum discount if you quote your forum ID when booking 😉

You get a forum discount if you quote your forum ID when booking 😉
Sounds like an interesting upgrade. I am looking at this but I guess my questions below are one other members would have.

Would you happen to know how the carplay affects the drivers console between the rev counter and speedometer ( NTG 5.x i think) ? I don't want my speed, car information changing whilst driving if I am changing something on carplay using steering controls.

How long the installation would take ? ( same day 4 hours ??? )

Wireless Android auto as well as wireless carplay ?

Any other gotchas? ( I am aware of the Aux audio thing)

Sounds like an interesting upgrade. I am looking at this but I guess my questions below are one other members would have.

Would you happen to know how the carplay affects the drivers console between the rev counter and speedometer ( NTG 5.x i think) ? I don't want my speed, car information changing whilst driving if I am changing something on carplay using steering controls.

I had a similar system fitted last week in my S500 Coupe. It took around 90 minutes to fit. I haven't yet used the steering controls for it but will try it out tomorrow and let you know

Carplay system

I had a similar unit fitted last week and am so happy that I did. I know I won't see any return on it when (if?) I ever sell the car, but it has increased my driving pleasure enormously - I have the navigation system I want (Waze) and can use any music app from my phone without having to touch my phone when driving. Yes, it was money well spent.

It takes about four hours to do the job properly.

Your instrument cluster display is unaffected. It can be used wirelessly or wired.

1634493551325.png
With my system, you access the Android Auto / Apple CarPlay by pressing the back button for a second or 2 till the screen changes. At this point you access the new interface via the selection wheel (shown here in the middle without the covering pad!) or using "SIRI" or "Hey Google" - the steering wheel controls have no effect on the system and the system doesn't affect anything on the display in front of the steering wheel. This display is only affected by the steering wheel controls. When you want to go back to the "standard" COMAND system, just press the back button again for a second or 2.

Comand fitted mine a couple of weeks ago and I'm a big fan of it.

I control it all off the Comand nudge wheel and find it really intuitive.

I can easily flick between Spotify, BBC Sounds, Audible, Pocketcasts and TuneIn Radio with Google Maps (or Waze) operating in the background. Others apps are, of course, supported. It fires up quickly, it's easy to use, it feels OEM, it looks great and the sound quality is excellent, too.

Support from Comand Online and IA is also very good which is worth bearing in mind.

Gotcha's; Setting up Android Auto can be a little trickier than Apple Carplay apparently; it's newer and there are lots of variations.

So before you pick the car up make sure that you have (i) updated to the latest version of the Android OS (i) updated to the latest version of the Android Auto app (iii) updated any other apps you'll be using and (iv) cleared the Android Auto cache.

I had a few connectivity problems at first but then I did all that and since then it's been good as gold. I've tested it every day for 7 days and in that time it only dropped once. I cleared the Android Auto cache (Apps=>Android Auto=> Clear Cache) and it reconnected instantly.

The other thing to bear in mind that if and when you want to connect by cable, best use an OEM cable. Cheap USB cables don't always carry data and can cause other issues as I found out. I've got a Galaxy so I ordered a new cable from Samsung just to be sure. All good now.

Anyway, these are minor issues; it's a great bit of kit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom