Comand Online + HTC Desire HD Help

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

kaiser98

Car
Mercedes C220 CDI Sport
Hello, I have the new facelift c class with the new comand online system which is supposed to allow me to access the internet via my phone, however I am having trouble actually getting it to work. The bluetooth works flawlessly in respect to the telephone side of things but when I try to go online, comand pops up a dialog box with "Phone does not suppost data communication". Is there something lacking with my htc that wont allow such communication to work or is the new comand system just buggy?

Thanks for any help.

This is a complete guess as I haven't played with COMAND Online, but I would expect that it's wanting to use the phone as a "modem". Is your HTC set up to allow that? For example, in Apple's language you have to allow "data tethering". Do you have any options on the phone for that?

The desire shares its Internet connection over wifi if I recall correctly, your not sure that it can tether over usb.

Yes you're right, the desire does allow tethering via wifi and usb however I can't seem to get comand online to work with usb either.

Are the network provider data services and settings setup correctly on the phone i.e. can you use the internet on the phone using 3G not wifi etc.

Everythings setup properly on the phone, I am getting the feeling that the phone itself isn't compatible with comand online :(

i had the same issue with my blackberry when connecting to comand online. it turned out that the blackberry needed a firmware update and it connected straight after i did that.

check with htc to see if there are any software updates for your phone and check with your network provider to verify the internet settings. check that the information provided by your network provider mathes the settings that are in comand.

Hello, I'm also frustrated about this issue, my wife has an Iphone 3gs, I have a HTC HD2. Both can be used as phone, but none offer an internet access. Every time I try, my HTC becomes very warm and freezes… After that I need to remove the battery for a reset. I went to many forums, trying to find a patch or a tip. I found something where I needed to enter the windows registry of my phone, but that didn't change anything.

I called the dealer who told me to check the compatible phones on this link: www.mercedes-benz.com/connect. You will notice that if there is several phones / smartphone but only Nokia, Sony and Blackberry are compatible for internet. From the forums, I also read that even many of those don’t work

The only way I may want to go, is to find a second hand old-fashioned phone as per the list, and to ask a twin Sim card, and to leave the phone in the car... Seems to be the best compromise in between having a smart smartphone, and a car with all the options running.

I guess Mercedes is aware and feel ashamed to propose something where they miss the major kind of phones, and I hope they will develop a new firmware.

My Google searches brought up this thread in my search for the same info.."what phone will allow me to go online in the new C Class i have just ordered?"...well, reading the manual in the demonstrator i have this weekend to try and find the answer, it clearly states phone needs to have DUN profile - which neither Android or iPhone support (there are Apps that apparently do the job, but tried them and still not working). Phone side is great, but still no internet...

Blackberry's do support, so that's this mornings task before going to the dark side and trying a Nokia;)

I too have this problem on my W204 with comand online. It's very annoying that it can't use the iPhone for tethering - either with bluetooth or wi-fi (personal hotspot).

Anyway I found a bit more info, that may be of interest, on this site -

EXCLUSIVE: Mercedes to add more internet connectivity options to COMAND Online

- worth keeping an eye on for updates. Looks like it may be possible next year through a new SAP telephone module. I'm glad I got convenience telephony if that's the case.

Tried it with a Blackberry 8900 and was online in minutes! AFAIK all Blackberry's support DUN profile so all should work. the 8900 is a gprs model.so its a bit slow. i have a 9500 on charge so I'll try that later and grab some pics

HTC and COMAND.

Gents.

I believe this incompatibility to run devices easily goes much deeper than mere faulty set up of equipment. I have read in the more serious papers of a basic rift between Google / Android and Apple Mac / iPhone They simply will not allow alterations of the software in their respective products which would harmonise their compatibility and allow us, the paying public, to connect as and when we require.

I have side stepped the problem by fitting Parrot B/Tooth h/free, hard wired kit into my new ( to me) E class 3.2 CDi fitted with and 'Audio 20' radio. This allows me to enter my car, switch on and without removing the phone (an HTC Desire) from my pocket achieve instant connection for all incoming and out going calls.

My tariff with Orange includes 500 mega wotsits of data through a mobile Internet gateway which takes over from my in house Wifi network centred on a desk top Modem /router, when I'm out and about . All this works on the phone not the radio. The speech of an incoming call is relayed through two of the front array of speakers.

Last edited:
Hello, I'm also frustrated about this issue, my wife has an Iphone 3gs, I have a HTC HD2. Both can be used as phone, but none offer an internet access. Every time I try, my HTC becomes very warm and freezes… After that I need to remove the battery for a reset. I went to many forums, trying to find a patch or a tip. I found something where I needed to enter the windows registry of my phone, but that didn't change anything.

I called the dealer who told me to check the compatible phones on this link: www.mercedes-benz.com/connect. You will notice that if there is several phones / smartphone but only Nokia, Sony and Blackberry are compatible for internet. From the forums, I also read that even many of those don’t work

The only way I may want to go, is to find a second hand old-fashioned phone as per the list, and to ask a twin Sim card, and to leave the phone in the car... Seems to be the best compromise in between having a smart smartphone, and a car with all the options running.

I guess Mercedes is aware and feel ashamed to propose something where they miss the major kind of phones, and I hope they will develop a new firmware.
Fascinated to learn of the possibility of a "twin sim card." I had wanted what I called a duplicate "sim card" for my phone but was told it is illegal. If that's not the case, how and where would one obtain a "twin sim card?" Any answers? It would make my phone and car phone problems evaporate.

Fascinated to learn of the possibility of a "twin sim card." I had wanted what I called a duplicate "sim card" for my phone but was told it is illegal. If that's not the case, how and where would one obtain a "twin sim card?" Any answers? It would make my phone and car phone problems evaporate.

Vodafone used to do them but have stopped. They gave some lame excuse about protecting the customer from fraud as the reason for withdrawing this option. Mind you, they used to charge a fortune for the second card so it was always a bit of a bitter pill to swallow.

"Multi Sim" as it was called, has been gone for many years. used to be a solution designed primarily for cars that had built in phones, so you didn't have to swap your sim card or have different numbers...you could make calls from both but only receive on one sim card, so you had to send a code to 'nominate' the phone you wanted to receive calls on - forget to do this and you had a call free day in the office, while you car rang constantly!! the arrival of bluetooth kits meant this was not really necessary any more...

got a few pics while i had it up and running with my BlackBerry, and it is very impressive if a little slow to enter text via wheel...

The Google Local search function is good and integrates well into navigation
IMGP1090.jpg

Facebook, Google search and forums all good to view
IMGP1092.jpg

IMGP1095.jpg

IMGP1094.jpg

IMGP1096.jpg

Nice geeky toy, the handsfree and Satnav are excellent, and didnt want to gove the demonstrator back...now just the wait til mine arrives...:D

Is this a new COMAND technology or can it be applied via a firmware/software update to my system (NTG4)?

Sorry if that's a daft question, Im only day 5 of being a Merc owner!!!

Vodafone used to do them but have stopped. They gave some lame excuse about protecting the customer from fraud as the reason for withdrawing this option. Mind you, they used to charge a fortune for the second card so it was always a bit of a bitter pill to swallow.

Vodafone in the Netherlands still sells these duo cards as they call them over here. Price is around 15 euro. Most people buy them and put the second SIM in their iPads. Works like a charm.

Tried it with a Blackberry 8900 and was online in minutes! AFAIK all Blackberry's support DUN profile so all should work. the 8900 is a gprs model.so its a bit slow. i have a 9500 on charge so I'll try that later and grab some pics

I've got 8900 too but can't get comand online to work properly. Comand times out while trying to connect. Internet on the phone itself works fine. Tried every setting in Comand but no luck. Tried a Nokia e66 which worked fine with default settings.

Could you please tell me what settings you use with the bb 8900?

Running Nokia E75 with comand online and it works like dream. Good for checking the weather radar as you are driving along :D

I've got 8900 too but can't get comand online to work properly. Comand times out while trying to connect. Internet on the phone itself works fine. Tried every setting in Comand but no luck. Tried a Nokia e66 which worked fine with default settings.

Could you please tell me what settings you use with the bb 8900?
wonder if you've got this working yet? Didn't have to do anything with Blackberry - just have to select correct providers APN on Comand unit.

Finally got my car earlier this week and was hooked up in seconds to my new BB 9860

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom