Comand Online NTG 5.5 connectivity issues

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

clinkadink

Car
E Coupe 220d AMG (2018)
Is anyone else experiencing issues with the NTG 5.5 Comand Online, especially the connectivity side of things?? Or is it just me?

A week ago I traded my CLA for a new E class coupe (2018), with Comand Online, Premium Plus, twin screens, and all the tech extras. I am enjoying the car but not having a lot of luck with the Comand Online.

Everything is setup on Mercedes Me, I was made to register with the "Internet in the Car" service to make use of the online extras. But have since found the service to be reminiscent of dial-up in the 90s. All the "online" are slow to load, if they load at all, as many error. Such as Mercedes-Benz Browser, Apps, Link, Internet Radio, POI, etc. I noticed Comand Online is only using a 3G UMTS connection, which is more than 10 times slower than 4G. But to make matters worse, when I did mange to connect the browser, I ran Speed Test, and it said I was connecting to a server in Frankfurt ... over 3G! I have also noticed that because of the onboard modem, the option to tether to my phone and use the phones internet has been removed. Making the whole "online" side of things dead in the water.

There are lots of other niggles. MirrorLink is disabled, it can be enabled, but only if I can access Engineering Mode (secret menu). Holding down the centre jog wheel doesn't work for me. Also, no-ones at MB knows what "Mercedes-Benz Link" does under the "Connect" menu. It doesn't launch and just errors.

I have posted a video hear in case it helps anyone work out what is wrong with this ....

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I have already reported this to MB, but were unable to offer any advice so far. I will be returning to dealers this weekend if I can't get it sorted.

Cheers in advance for any pointers.

Right now I'd settle for making use of my phone's internet connection. But I cannot figure out how.

I have going to "System > Connectivity > Set Up Hotspot" ... but that only creates a Mercedes Benz wifi hotspot using the data plan via Mercedes Me. As shown below.

Untitled.png

I want to my vehicle to use my phones data plan, not the Mercedes (Vodafone) data plan. That way, I can use my own 4G connection, my 40GB monthly data allowance and my 60Mbps connection (instead of the 1Mbps offered by Mercedes Me, for £10 a month, 1GB data ... and connecting to a server in Frankfurt, Germany).

Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Hi There,

I have the same problem...I have been at the dealers four times and they have not managed to resolve it. Have you had any luck?

Thanks
Ash

Fyi, finally got some I do from Mercedes. It seems that mirrorlink is not enabled or available in Europe. And they cannot provide me a date when this will be made available. I have escalated this, as it was one of the options promised when i bought the car

Right now I'd settle for making use of my phone's internet connection. But I cannot figure out how.

I have going to "System > Connectivity > Set Up Hotspot" ... but that only creates a Mercedes Benz wifi hotspot using the data plan via Mercedes Me. As shown below.

View attachment 77810

I want to my vehicle to use my phones data plan, not the Mercedes (Vodafone) data plan. That way, I can use my own 4G connection, my 40GB monthly data allowance and my 60Mbps connection (instead of the 1Mbps offered by Mercedes Me, for £10 a month, 1GB data ... and connecting to a server in Frankfurt, Germany).

Hi. I’m about to buy an E220d estate with COMAND and widescreen. Did you manage to fix the poor internet connection or tether your phone? I have unlimited data on a phone so would be ideal to do that.
Ian

Whatever version I have is very slow when connecting & while connected to the internet. As you say more like dial-up but we are spoiled - I used to think my 9600 modem was the dogs':)

View attachment 77810

Not sure how yours works but on my iPhone, I enable my "personal hotspot" and the car connects through that! Never done it any other way. I think the "MB connect" is only for the SOS, breakdown etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom