Comand Online NTG4.5 - C Class face lift - Current Navigation Map Data

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Goldfish11

Car
C220 CDI (09/11 - Facelift) & SLK200
Just got my new C Class (there will be pictures soon, promise). I am however suprised that a load of new roads are missing. My SLK comand ntg 2.5 has the January 2011 update and on this many of these roads are present.

So my question is what is the most up to date map version for the system.

Mine states - "2011 Version 4.0" (Vehicle was a September delivery). You can find the version details in the menu.

As I get free updates for the next 3 years I want to make sure I get them done!!:D

I will be interested in this as i pick up my new c class with comand next tuesday,
Which roads do you find it missing?

I think I remember reading somewhere (perhaps on this esteemed forum?) that MB have changed their mapping data provider either from TeleAtlas to NavTeq or vice versa. On that basis it's quite possible that the latest units will include some roads and features that older units don't, and there will be some roads and features that have "gone missing" on the latest units, as both providers have their own unique deficiencies.

That change was was about 9 years ago when Comand changed from CD based to DVD based navigation, changed from Tele Atlas to Navteq.

That's not the change I'm thinking of. There's something either just happened or about to happen.

I believe it is the same disk for NTG4 and NTG4.5 - if so the latest version should be this one:

Comand Online Ltd :: Mercedes SatNav/COMAND :: Mercedes Navigation Disks :: Comand APS Map DVD Europe 2011 (V8.0) for NTG4-W204 in C, GLK & SLS Class.

MB Part Number A204 827 76 59 - v8.0 released June 2011.

(though you obviously don't need to buy as you will be getting free updates)

And to keep ahead of the opposition, check from time to time the NTG4-204 info on here:

http://www.mercupgrades.com/COMAND+APS+FAQ-faq-10.html#17

Last edited:
markjay said:
I believe it is the same disk for NTG4 and NTG4.5 - if so the latest version should be this one:

Comand Online Ltd :: Mercedes SatNav/COMAND :: Mercedes Navigation Disks :: Comand APS Map DVD Europe 2011 (V8.0) for NTG4-W204 in C, GLK & SLS Class.

MB Part Number A204 827 76 59 - v8.0 released June 2011.

(though you obviously don't need to buy as you will be getting free updates)

And to keep ahead of the opposition, check from time to time the NTG4-204 info on here:

http://www.mercupgrades.com/COMAND+APS+FAQ-faq-10.html#17

Mark, I can not believe this is the case. Ntg 4.5 came in this year in April would MB really load such old data?

The wording on the screen says "2011 (v4.0) Europe ". Then a load of stuff about consulting the dealer for latest version. I think the updates for the ntg 4.5 must be different in some way to the ntg 4.0 disks. It would be good to get some confirmation on this however.

Last edited:
Mark, I can not believe this is the case. Ntg 4.5 came in this year in April would MB really load such old data?

I don't know for fact either way. Mercedes Benz latest SatNav CD PDF dated 01/09/2011 is showing 'S/W204 C-Class from 03/07' as having NTG4.0, no word about the facelift model having a different version (I am ware that the screen is different as it no longer pops-up). I just assumed that 4.5 is unofficial name. But it is possible that MB's literature is just not up-to-date with their cars. Richard or Alfie (and npuk) will probably know for sure...

Pretty sure that NTG4.5 update uses PIN codes and an update disk that is repeatedly re-used but useless without the VIN/Map specific PIN code.

The PIN codes are generated by Mercedes VEDOK system (i.e mercedes datacard system) so MB knows what map is authorised in your vehicle, and the map disks then become cheap but the PIN codes are same price as the current map disks more-or-less.

You then put the map in the system, it asks for the PIN code which is VIN and MAP dependant, and then it installs.

This already happens on NTG3.5 in S/CL class

Richard

Yup. just checked, it uses PIN codes.

Also there are no map updates mention in the accessories (odus) for NTG4.5 Europe (looks like there may be one for USA)

Also, the new B class (W246 from 11/11) seems to have NTG4.5 also.

Richard

I have just called my local dealer to see if they know what the latest update available is.

Pretty sure that NTG4.5 update uses PIN codes and an update disk that is repeatedly re-used but useless without the VIN/Map specific PIN code.
Hooray, and about time too. This means that there's no reason the licence cost for new cartography shouldn't drop to the sort of level charged by Garmin and TomTom.
richard said:
...but the PIN codes are same price as the current map disks more-or-less.
Oh dear, silly me :doh: :mad:

Had a two pronged attack on MB. Central Customer Service (who are probably sick of me as it is the 4th time I have called them in 3 weeks) and also my local MB dealer.

Just telephoned MB customer service.

It seems this is the latest version. The map data is supplied by NavTech. I then asked why the ntg2.5 January 2011 was more upto date than the new W204 ntg4.5 whos data is also supplied by NavTech. Got a load of BS about them being different systems but I pointed out that NavTech map data should be the same for all vehicles if it is NavTech :confused:

Also asked about when the next release would occur and they said they did not have a date currently.

Anyway, local dealer called me and said that they would need the car and would need to plug it in to see what map data was on it, even though I told them the screen tells me it is "2011 v4.0"

So will pop the car into them in a few days so they can tell me it has "2011 v4.0" not a problem as I fancy drinking their coffee and chatting to their so called expert :rolleyes:

I have commented before that I am deeply disappointed by Comand, and these days I use my cumbersome Garmin apparatus for sensible routing.
I am not saying Comand won't get you there (although I have occasionally been pointed in the direction of non-existent roads!), it's just that frequently it does not seem to be the BEST way.
Latest example 1: driving from Buckingham to Oxford, I was aware that the town of Bicester lay mid-route. Now there are two ways to get past Bicester - straight on through the town centre (the shortest route for sure), or follow the signposted directions around a ring road (which was presumably built to keep you away from the town centre).
With Comand set on Dynamic - which way would you expect to be taken?
Answer - through the town centre! Garmin sensibly took me on the ring road.
Latest example 2: I wanted a street just to the west of Keynsham town centre. Comand took me into a terrible traffic jam in the town centre. Garmin suggested carrying on a little further before turning off towards the street I wanted, avoiding the town centre. I came back with Garmin's directions!
I know that routing is a matter of choice but I have noticed before that Comand seems to like town centres - it just doesn't seem very intuitive to me...:dk:

Mercy 1 - I think all SatNavs you need to keep an eye on. I got completely screwed by TomTom a few months ago ended up miles from where I was meant to be even when using postcode. However went to same location with Comand and ended up in the right place. My rule is always to do a sense check. One great thing with the new ntg4.5 is you just shout "alternative routes" into the lingutronic and it then displays about 4 routes. I then just do a quick review and it is not uncommon to find the route which it defaulted to was not the best and I then choose the one I like. (Then I only have myself to blame when I get stuck in traffic that the TMC had not told me about :eek:)

Currently I love the ntg4.5 you can enter postcodes with lingutronic, the linguatronic is far better than the ntg2.5 in 3 weeks I can count on one hand the number of times it has misunderstood me, the rotating control is so easy to use it is far safer than pressing buttons. You also have the "Speed limit assist" the online facility, the ipod intergration is awsome, you can even connect the ipad to it (yes I tried this) etc etc so as I only paid £500 extra on my W204 for this I can't fault it. (Many thanks to the Japanese earthquake for messing up the supply chain for the Audio20 with media interface, if this had not happened I would not have the Comand) Only issue now is the usual comand problem of up todate maps.

Latest example 1: driving from Buckingham to Oxford, I was aware that the town of Bicester lay mid-route. Now there are two ways to get past Bicester - straight on through the town centre (the shortest route for sure), or follow the signposted directions around a ring road (which was presumably built to keep you away from the town centre).
With Comand set on Dynamic - which way would you expect to be taken?

To be fair, my brand new TomTom Live 825 (and my old TomTom Go) both like to go through Bicester centre rather than go around.

Maybe it's not so much the navigation as the map data.

Does Garmin use the same data as TomTom and then the same as MB?

I think all SatNavs you need to keep an eye on. My rule is always to do a sense check.

Fair comment, it's just that Comand has got me into trouble more times than I care to mention and Garmin has consistently rescued me! My car is only 10 months old (hardly out of date!) yet it has no postcode input and no alternative route feature. I must inquire to see if it is possible to upgrade to the latest version, but your own experience of missing roads is not encouraging...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom