Comand online Satnav - route list / turn list & updates (E220)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Scooby99

Car
Mercedes E220 D
Hi - this is my first post, so please be gentle with me !

I have just bought an E220 (August 2018) which has the Comand online satnav and I have a couple of questions please :

I wanted to update the Satnav software (current version 2018 (V9.0) Europe) and having rung the helpline they strongly suggested I arrange for the dealer to do this as it can be time consuming and messy.
The dealer checked the software, said it was up to date and said the next update was due in August and it downloads to the Comand online automatically. This sounds a bit odd - the satnav won't have had updated its maps for 2 years (seems a long time between satnav updates !) and they say that they won't need to install it for me (which seems to conflict with the helpline advice). Are we happy this sounds right ?

Can someone tell me if or where the route list / turn list is please. Let's say I key in a destination but I want to see the list of roads I will be using (step by step) - I find this very useful as sometimes want to avoid motorways or B roads. I can't see where this facility is accessed, but has been available on the last 3 or 4 satnav systems I've owned

Many thanks for any help you can give.

Scooby 99

You car is entitled to 3 years of free maps updates.

This should be done by the dealer at service time (but usually onlt gets done if you specifically request it...). Alternatively, you can book the car in just to have the maps updated FOC (dealers don't like it, but they have to do it).

In essence, you can download the maps yourself to a PC, copy the files to a USB flash drive, then upload the maps to COMAND via the USB port in the car. Its quite straightforward. The maps update is protected by a PIN code, that is unique to your car's VIN, so all you really need do is ask the dealer to generate the PIN code for you and let you know what it is. But downloading 15-20gb of maps to your PC takes time, and uploading it to your car will take between one and two hours, so given that's it's all free anyway, you might as well just leave it to dealer. Your call.

I am aware of 'Over the Air' COMAND maps updates, which are done using the car's KOM Module with the built-in Vodafone 3g simcard, but I always thought that this didn't work in the UK because of the size of the data and the limited bandwidth of the 3g network, but I may be wrong.

Either way, if the dealer insists that your car should have its maps updated Over-the-Air, then I suggest that you book it in for warranty repair because it does not update the maps. This will force the dealer to sort-out the maps one way or the other once the car is in their workshop.

On a related note, the COMAND maps update only updates the maps data, but not the navigation software itself.

When you book the car in for the free maps update, I suggest that you ask the dealer to also update the COMAND firmware (or at least check if a newer firmware is available). The update itself is free, though the dealer might charge for labour (about half hour), unless you have a complaint about the COMAND unit in which case they will update the firmware FOC under warranty.

The new firmware will update the operating system and software on the COMAND unit, including the navigation software (but not the maps data which is a separate update as per my previous post abive).

Unfortunately it's a dealer-only job, because it can only be done via the MB STAR diagnostic computer, so can't be done DIY. I am aware that MB said that they will push firmware updates for COMAND units over the air, but I think that your 2018 car won't be covered by this yet, so the firmware will need to be updated by the dealer via STAR.

And.... your car also comes with 3 years free TomTom Live Traffic data (replacing the older free but less-effective TMC service). Check that it is working. It uses the same built-in Vodafone 3g simcard as mentioned above, but this should be working fine because the amount of data downloaded to the car is very small. If the TomTom Live Traffic feature isn't working, then it's another warranty job for the dealer....

After 3 years, the service will expire, and will need to renewed. To do that, you will need to create an online account with Mercedes Me, and register your car's VIN to your account (if not done so already). Once this has been done, you will see online a list of subscription-based services available for your car, including the TomTom Live Traffic service, and you will then be able to renew it (or any other service) for further 1, 2, or 3 years.

Also, your 2018 W213 might have the COMAND NTG5.5 system with the wide-screen 12.3" display. If so, then the latest version of maps for your system is v18.0.

If your car has the older NTG5*1 or NTG5*2 units, then the latest version of maps is v14.0.

Hi Markjay - thank you very much indeed for your responses.

I think the best thing for me to do is wait to see if anything magically downloads and updates in August. Assuming it doesn't ( a 3G connection to dowload a 15gb file sounds a bit of a stretch) then I'll go back to the dealer for teh maps / firmware update.
The car has the fully digital dashboard (with no analog dials) and the large display so I assume it is the NTG5.5 (is there somewhere i can check this ?) In this case, if the maps should be v18.0 but the dealer says that the current map (v9.0) is upto date, then this is something I will need to be mindful of once the August update has arrived / I revisit the dealer.

Last thing - does the Satnav show a route / turn list per my original post as I'm struggling to find how to access it.

Thanks again for your help

Hi Markjay - thank you very much indeed for your responses.

I think the best thing for me to do is wait to see if anything magically downloads and updates in August. Assuming it doesn't ( a 3G connection to dowload a 15gb file sounds a bit of a stretch) then I'll go back to the dealer for teh maps / firmware update.
The car has the fully digital dashboard (with no analog dials) and the large display so I assume it is the NTG5.5 (is there somewhere i can check this ?) In this case, if the maps should be v18.0 but the dealer says that the current map (v9.0) is upto date, then this is something I will need to be mindful of once the August update has arrived / I revisit the dealer.

Last thing - does the Satnav show a route / turn list per my original post as I'm struggling to find how to access it.

Thanks again for your help
Hi Scooby99 and welcome to the forum. We are near neighbours so a special welcome! My SL400 is my 6th Merc so have some map experience but not quite the same as yours but buying cars post warranty and finding that the maps have not been updated during the warranty period. When your warranty expires I would fully recomend our local Indie - Trefnant Garage for servicing including firmware and map updates.

a. I don't know the answer to your route question, someone else might know (or you could check the online manual available on MB's website, or on the 'Mercedes Benz Guides' smartphone app.

b. On a very general note, firmware updates often fix existing bugs or add new features. You might find that a missing option, or one that did not work as expected, get resolved with a firmware update. MB usually release frequent firmware updates while the unit is still in use, but stop once the unit goes out of production.

c. Re the version of COMAND you have, if you put your VIN into an MB Vin Decoder online, or download the 'MB VIN Decoder' smartphone app, it will show you a list of options fitted to your car, including COMAND.

d. Alternatively, search on YouTube for 'COMAND engineering menu' (aka 'secret menu'), it will show you how to browse the back-end of your unit and get the info you need.

e. If the person who told you that your COMAND will update the maps over-the-air is the same person who told you that v9.0 is the latest available for your car, then I would just ignore anything they said. The latest version is either v14.0 or v18.0 (depending on which version of COMAND you have), so the response you got was either 5 version out of date, or 8(!) Versions. This isn't an honest mistake... this is a proper fob-off response. So I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for the maps to update themselves over 3g....

f. The dealer can only get the PIN code from MB for free within the first 3 years from date of first registration. I am aware that your car will only be 3 years old next year, but it's a good idea to remember to get a last free maps update just before the 3 years expire (in addition to to an interim update now). I.e., if the dealer didn't generate the free PIN code for the most recent version within the 3 years period, they will not be able to generate it later.

Firstly, I must say what an excellent and enthusiastic forum and thank you for taking the time to answer my questions. My only outstanding query is re the route list - I'd previously looked at the paper manual and the MB Guides App, with no luck. Different manufacturers call this function different things (my Audi called it "Route Guide", my Jag called it "Turn List" so I think not knowing MB's name for it is making it hard for me to track down)

I bought the car from the MB Dealership in Ellesmere Port and they said that all the maps etc were upto date. I queried this with them (as my maps were dated 2018 !) including pressing them on which map version was the latest release but they seemed unable (unwilling ?) to give me specific details, just repeating that their diagnostics said everything was upto date.

I told them that, for my own peace of mind, I'd like to check online about the latest maps / how to update and queried the specific satnav I had, and all they said was that it was called the "Comand online" so I now need to check whether it is NTG5.5 to make sure that next time I speak to them, I am fully clued up. The same dealership told me that the maps would update automatically ... I'm going to wait until the end of August and if no automatic update I'll challenge them about their previous service and "assistance". I'll get the firmware checked too, and make sure they go over everything again before the warranty expires.

V6GBJ - good to see you are local. I last had a Merc about 7 or 8 years ago and got it serviced at an independent called "MB" who were just off the A55, opposite Sealand RAF base in Queensferry. I think they've closed (but may have just moved to Sealand ?) but I'll gladly have a look at Trefnant Garage when the warranty ends.

Thanks again

I am trying to identify which version of Comand I have and I followed markjay's advice and used the MB Vin decoder. However, it says "Comand APS NTG5/NTG5.5" and so I'm still not sure exactly which version I have ( I think there are several versions between 5 and 5.5?), or is this telling me that I have the 5.5 version (in which case, that's all I need to know !).

If not, I'll need to try the engineering menu but I can't see how to do it. I've done various YouTube searches but they seem to show a different variant of my vehicle - I have the W213 but with a fully digital dashboard ie there aren't many physical buttons to press/hold down (common method to get to the engineering menu, including holding the phone buttons down, which I don't have ...)

Can anyone help ?

Cheers

I am trying to identify which version of Comand I have and I followed markjay's advice and used the MB Vin decoder. However, it says "Comand APS NTG5/NTG5.5" and so I'm still not sure exactly which version I have ( I think there are several versions between 5 and 5.5?), or is this telling me that I have the 5.5 version (in which case, that's all I need to know !).

If not, I'll need to try the engineering menu but I can't see how to do it. I've done various YouTube searches but they seem to show a different variant of my vehicle - I have the W213 but with a fully digital dashboard ie there aren't many physical buttons to press/hold down (common method to get to the engineering menu, including holding the phone buttons down, which I don't have ...)

Can anyone help ?

Cheers
Scooby, my version of Comand is also described as APS NTG5/NTG5.5 and I found the map version description in the Navigation/Settings menu.

I’m ok finding which version of the maps is currently installed, but I’m trying to find the exact hardware so I can determine what the latest available map is available for that particular unit

Also, your 2018 W213 might have the COMAND NTG5.5 system with the wide-screen 12.3" display. If so, then the latest version of maps for your system is v18.0.

If your car has the older NTG5*1 or NTG5*2 units, then the latest version of maps is v14.0.
When was v14.0 released?

I suggest that you take this photo to your dealer, and ask them to point-out to you which of the following is installed in your car..................

Maps.png

...I'm going to wait until the end of August and if no automatic update I'll challenge them about their previous service and "assistance"...

It's actually more than I remembered... and I don't really think it will download 40gb to the car, neither over 3g, not over your own phone (assuming that you have the data allowance for it)....

Just had a quick search, and it seems that on NTG5x, access to Engineering Mode needs to be enabled first using STAR, before it can be accessed by the user by pressing key/button on the dash. I guess MB did this to stop owners from playing around with the Engineering Menu. So looks like this is not an option for your COMAND unit.

Bringing up this thread again.

I am also looking for the turn by turn list on NTG5.5 2019 C200 prem plus.

Only the maps for the UK are updated over the air, all others require them to be downloaded through the Mercedes me portal including new voice commands for the UK.

If you download all the maps like I did it will take about 2 hrs to install them all. I also needed to use a 64gb flash drive as a 32gb wasn't big enough even though that's what the website said was needed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom