Comand Online Vodaphone settings

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jimglasgow

Car
C Class Coupe
Hi Folks can anyone help. I have a blackberry 8900 which is compatible for tethering. However when i connect it to Vodaphone under settings login fails.

can anyone share their settings under the Provider vodaphone Internet APN settings as vodaphone say there is no reason for it not to tether.

Thanks

Jim

When I had my Blackberry Bold 9700 I also had exactly the same problem with the Vodafone settings and connecting to Comand Online.

I solved the problem by updating the Blackberry to the latest OS which in my case was OS 6. Once I updated it connected every time without any problem.

When I had my Blackberry Bold 9700 I also had exactly the same problem with the Vodafone settings and connecting to Comand Online.

I solved the problem by updating the Blackberry to the latest OS which in my case was OS 6. Once I updated it connected every time without any problem.

Cheers I can't update as its the works and they prevent updates taking place! So hoping its not that

I have an Iphone 4s but doesnt tether boo hooo sad that Mercedes arent addressing this as its possibly the most poular phone!

Yep, Same here as I have just upgraded from the Blackberry to the iPhone 4S. Unfortunately I can't use Comand Online anymore because of this.

I have an Iphone 4s but doesnt tether boo hooo sad that Mercedes arent addressing this as its possibly the most popular phone!

I hate this, pretty much all BT capable phones supported dial-up when iPhone appeared. Why should the rest of the world adapt immediately to what iPhone has? What about all the equipment in the field that were built before the iPhone and did not know iPhone would not support dial-up? Why do "Apple people" always blame others when they could request a fix from Apple. :confused:

Yep, Same here as I have just upgraded from the Blackberry to the iPhone 4S. Unfortunately I can't use Comand Online anymore because of this.

You mean you "downgraded". :)

How is it with Windows phones?

I Why do "Apple people" always blame others when they could request a fix from Apple. :confused:

The iphone (and android) issues with Command Online (the online bit) are a Mercedes hardware problem and not down to the phones. It's to do with the bluetooth element for getting online. Mercedes have indicated that they may have a fix sometime in 2012 but it's likely to be hardware rather than a patch.

The iphone (and android) issues with Command Online (the online bit) are a Mercedes hardware problem and not down to the phones. It's to do with the bluetooth element for getting online. Mercedes have indicated that they may have a fix sometime in 2012 but it's likely to be hardware rather than a patch.

Come on, why does this hardware work with other phones?

The problem is that the head unit expects BT dial-up profile support while iPhone and Android (currently) have BT PAN (I hope I got the profile name right) for this purpose.

What MB is probably introducing is a SW update to enable BT PAN support, nothing to do with HW (and this issue has been discussed several times here).

Even if it was an MB HW issue, why would you not request the two to adapt to this issue like other brands do (assuming they did). It is true that BT as a standard is a bit vague and experienced companies have learned to live with poor other party implementations but this time it is about a simple decision not to support a specific BT profile, by the way, I guess you know why).

The problem is that the head unit expects BT dial-up profile support while iPhone and Android (currently) have BT PAN (I hope I got the profile name right) for this purpose.

What MB is probably introducing is a SW update to enable BT PAN support, nothing to do with HW (and this issue has been discussed several times here).

Even if it was an MB HW issue, why would you not request the two to adapt to this issue like other brands do (assuming they did). It is true that BT as a standard is a bit vague and experienced companies have learned to live with poor other party implementations but this time it is about a simple decision not to support a specific BT profile, by the way, I guess you know why).

All I asked was for the someone to clarify the settings for Vodaphone for my blackberry!

Anyway why I'm here the bottomline is why make a device which isn't compatible with the single phone which is more popular than any other phone!
I bet you if you took a poll on what phone MB owners used the iPhone would be number 1 or two! So bit of a design blunder by those who made the Comand online in my opinon.

I honestly couldn't care less! :)
As you metioned the iphone I was just trying to offer information I had gained when wondering why my iphone would work perfectly with Command in every way other then the 'online' bit :

Mercedes-Benz is working with its suppliers to integrate automotive qualified Bluetooth chipset with PAN capability (Personal Area Network) and will be ready for market launch 2nd half 2012.

PAN is the second Bluetooth standard for tethering, gaining popularity since Apple enabled Bluetooth tethering capability in its iPhone 4 with iOS4 based on PAN only.

ANDROID currently neither supports DUN nor PAN, but has announced support for PAN in the next OS generation as standard feature. Furthermore Mercedes-Benz is in close talks with leading Android phone vendors to enable the DUN feature in their phones by default.

An option for customers having phones without DUN support is the Mercedes-Benz “Bluetooth (SAP) telephone module - V4″, available early 2012. The new version (V4) offers UMTS capability, allowing fast data connection using customer SIM card or accessing SIM information from SAP (SIM Access Profile) enabled mobile phone.

Mine works fine with my BB on Vodafone...the settings are preloaded into Comand. I'll post where they are in the morning if u still need

Without current access to car, i'm sure from Comand Online you need to select service provider > country> Uk > Vodafone

Its not your OS, as i can connect devices with OS4,5,and 6

These were the settings that I used:

Monthly/Business

• APN = wap.vodafone.co.uk
  • username = wap
  • password = wap
  • Gateway (IP) address: 212.183.137.012
  • Port number: 8799 (Not sure if this was required)

Last edited:
I'm having the same problem with my new C250CDI and company provided 8900 Curve. Its locked down and wouldn't connect with Comand and the standard o2 settings. Very frustrating considering myother phone is an iphone 4.

Keeping an eye out for the Bluetooth (SAP) telephone module - V4, hopefully due early this year.

forgot yesterday..and wife now away in car...so from memory -

if web already works fine on blackberry you don't need to touch phone

Go to Comand online screen and select "Settings"
You want to select "Provider"
Select UK, then your provider i.e. Vodafone/O2

the vodafone one will show as "internet apn" (cant speak for O2)

Thats it...connect via BT as normal and Comand will (should) work.

I'll get some screen shots this afternoon, and put up more details

Monthly/Business
  • username = wap
  • password = wap

Are these the settings on the phone or the settings under vodaphone on the Comand header unit

forgot yesterday..and wife now away in car...so from memory -

if web already works fine on blackberry you don't need to touch phone

Go to Comand online screen and select "Settings"
You want to select "Provider"
Select UK, then your provider i.e. Vodafone/O2

the vodafone one will show as "internet apn" (cant speak for O2)

Thats it...connect via BT as normal and Comand will (should) work.

I'll get some screen shots this afternoon, and put up more details

It would be helpful if you could supply the screen shots on your header under the vodaphone settings.... Thanks Jim

jimglasgow said:
Are these the settings on the phone or the settings under vodaphone on the Comand header unit

Yes, they were the settings that I had to enter under Vodafone into Comand.

Monthly/Business
  • username = wap
  • password = wap
RESULT everyone I'm in:bannana::bannana::bannana:

Only had to edit the first three lines and it worked a treat, must because the settings MB have in are for private users and not business accounts. But it works nevertheless.

Thanks everyone for their advice

Jim

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom