Comand or After Market and MB Warranties

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Giantvanman

MB Enthusiast
Car
FFRR 4.4 TDV8 Autobiography
I didn't specify Comand in my brand new Vito 122 Sport because I thought the price was bit steep for what it is. It remains to be seen if that was the correct choice.

I had fitted an excellent Kenwood 'all-in-one' to my Saab 9-5 2.3T HOT when it was a few months old but I left that with the car seeing as a friend was buying it. Great satnav and not too complicated.

So my tiny little brain is overheating with the pros and cons about the options BUT my biggest fear is that having an aftermarket unit fitted might mean chopping up the existing wiring and I can't see MB being too pleased with that come any subsequent electrical fault finding exercise.

Seeing as I have stumped up and extended the warranty to six years, I am sure you will understand my concerns. Something in there about only using MB parts?

Has anyone fitted a non MB unit? Did you have to alter the vehicle's loom at all?

Any help will be appreciated and yes I admit to being a worry wart!

Yep, understand your concern. Unless you have a good relationship with the MB dealer, then they can look for opportunities to make things difficult. You could ask the warranty folks & get their answer in writing.

Also check the terms / conditions of the warranty:
Can my warranty be invalidated?
Yes, it can. Beware of the following:
• Major modifications affecting the basic integrity
of the vehicle, especially to the chassis or
electronic systems. If in any doubt, consult
your Dealer

…and what does it not cover?
Again, remember that the purpose of any warranty
is only to cover defects that may have arisen during
the manufacturing process. Therefore, we can’t cover
problems arising from:
<snipped>
• The fitting of non-approved parts, additional
equipment and bodywork, or other unauthorised
vehicle modifications (your Mercedes-Benz Dealer
will be happy to advise)

Thanks, E55K.

It specifically mentions electrical systems………..I will ask the company who I normally use exactly what they would need to do and present that to MB.

I think whatever system is 'plug and play' will be the safest route but as for using authorised dealers, theoretically as long as the installer is proficient, they shouldn't be able to void the warranty if MB themselves don't do the work. Theoretically.

My experience of MB has been quite poor thus far, hence my worries.

Does anyone on here have an experience with MB in relation to warranties and after market fitments?

There is no need to cut anything. Adapters available for all.

That way, you can unplug the stereo and prove it is not causing any electrical problem.

Saying that the COMAND NTG2.5 system designed for your vehicle is very good, and available on eBay at sensible prices, and can be properly installed (in a dealer recognised manner, with the central data record updated and car coded properly) easily enough.

It is the same system in the W169 A class and W245 B class vehicles

Richard

Richard and Alfie retrofitted COMAND NTG2.5 to my W203 a few years ago, and while luckily I had no warranty claims during the original warranty period, given that the installation was carried-out to perfect factory-fit standard, and definitly did not involve cutting of any wires, I can not envision an MB warranty claim being declined due to the COMAND retrofit (unless the COMAND unit itself failed, obviously).

Thanks for popping up Richard, you've reminded me that I was going to buy the latest Map DVD from ComandOnline :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom