Comand pronunciation wierdness

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Brian with CL

Car
CL500
2012 CL500 Comand finally driven me insane -
Pronunciation of place names is bizarre, for instance Gateshead is Gatta Sheed and Bruxelles is Brew Sellers. Most other place names ( especially in France ) cannot be comprehended. Surely ( surely! ) this is not normal... Main dealer disavows the problem. Advice needed.

2012 CL500 Comand finally driven me insane -
Pronunciation of place names is bizarre, for instance Gateshead is Gatta Sheed and Bruxelles is Brew Sellers. Most other place names ( especially in France ) cannot be comprehended. Surely ( surely! ) this is not normal... Main dealer disavows the problem. Advice needed.
Not sure about COMAND, but my experience with Garmin sat-nav's is that unless you select the "voice" to match the country you're in, the text-to-speech pronunciation goes haywire. For example, Route Napoleon in France is perfectly pronounced if you select a French voice, but is mangled to Route Nap Oh Lay On if a British English voice is selected.

I suppose that explains the mis-pronunciation of Gateshead too, assuming an English voice is selected ;)

I used to work with a bloke from Gateshead and he never pronounced the word as I expected either.

It went something like gatts heed as I recall.

Thanks for the humour - always appreciated - Main dealer went 'Derrrr... never heard of that before!' Have never before had to change language when in different countries ( including Gateshead, before one of you cracks that one). Surely Mercs dont need such fiddling on. Or do they.....

Well you have the upgraded version,with the northern pronunciation ,you could have had the even rarer Cockney rhyming slang version,much sort after when looking for a fully spec car.

They use synthetic audio for street names and such. Otherwise the database would be too large. I still don't understand why the street names need to be spoken as British English in Germany, even if the head unit language was English.

I've just used to it, as I often drive through Sluff (Slough) and take half turns !!!!!!

Diesel Benz said:
I still don't understand why the street names need to be spoken as British English in Germany, even if the head unit language was English.
Certainly with the Garmin sat-nav's the voice you select affects both pronunciation and how other guidance instructions are given. For example, if you select a British English voice it will give instructions about roundabouts and exits, while if you select an American English voice it refers to traffic circles and ramps.

st13phil said:
Certainly with the Garmin sat-nav's the voice you select affects both pronunciation and how other guidance instructions are given. For example, if you select a British English voice it will give instructions about roundabouts and exits, while if you select an American English voice it refers to traffic circles and ramps.

On mine I get Prostitutes or Hookers.

Sent from my iPhone using MBClub UK

I have always found MB satnavs boring,I just have this women speaking,as far as I can tell you do not get a choice of either male or female,I would prefer Kenneth Williams,when you go wrong he would say "Oh come on stop messing about"

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom