Comand Question

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

benkitto

Car
merc
Hi All

Im looking to buy a 2003 03 plate E320 cdi and here is a pic of the Navigation

1.Will this car have Comand and how do I tell if it has?
2. What system does the car have based upon the photo?
3. Anything I need to check for functionality etc?

Thanks

Attachments

• media.jpg
    media.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 173
That is COMAND, earlier version - I don't know the number. It probably has the navigation DVD disc in that slot.

Car has COMAND APS (NTG1) so the navigation disk is in the boot behind a opening panel on left side.

If the disk is newer than a few years old, budget £230ish for a new navigation disk (which will cover all of Europe).

The car in the picture does not have the integrated phone system which downloads phone book into COMAND etc - it has a bolt on Nokia system. If you want to install a integrated bluetooth phone system budget £500 ish for that, add £100 for a system with phone and digital iPod system.

I cant see whether the car has parking sensors or not, but I find that quite useful - aftermarket systems are available

Richard

Car has COMAND APS (NTG1) so the navigation disk is in the boot behind a opening panel on left side.

If the disk is newer than a few years old, budget £230ish for a new navigation disk (which will cover all of Europe).

The car in the picture does not have the integrated phone system which downloads phone book into COMAND etc - it has a bolt on Nokia system. If you want to install a integrated bluetooth phone system budget £500 ish for that, add £100 for a system with phone and digital iPod system.

I cant see whether the car has parking sensors or not, but I find that quite useful - aftermarket systems are available

Richard

Thanks richard
Will this unit be able to play mp3 discs do you think?

As NPUK says, yes it should. I recall there was an early firmware update to enable this feature which should have been applied during servicing - but if it has not it can easily be done

Richard

This is the same as my car, 512 is on the MB spec sheet (glued in back of service book), DVD drive in LH side of boot behind access panel. I recently bought an updated DVD from 2011 SAT NAV UPDATES for £42 incl postage, it covers all Europe as well!
Mine does play MP3 discs.

Was that a genuine Mercedes disk or an illegal copy ?

Just be aware that the disk contains a navigation processor firmware update, if this fails to load properly you can junk your navigation processor. UK RRP for that is £3k (although of course they are available at more sensible prices).

It is also my experience that units using copied disks run significantly hotter - this is particularly nasty on NTG2 where the navigation disk is in the head unit and there is not a lot of ventillation back there. The CLK seems particularly liable to get very very hot.

Richard

It's obviously not genuine for that money. It worked first time, not used much, DVD drive not in head unit but in boot. If it fails ....... it fails. Much better to spend money on important new parts from MB such as brake dicsc and pads.

It's obviously not genuine for that money. It worked first time, not used much, DVD drive not in head unit but in boot. If it fails ....... it fails. Much better to spend money on important new parts from MB such as brake dicsc and pads.

Clearly the legal side of things is not an issue for you.... which is fine, as it is obviously a personal preference, and this forum is not a law enforcement agency. But I believe I speak for others when I say that if you did decide to use pirated discs, then we would appreciate it if you kindly kept this information to yourself and refrain from providing links and favourable reviews regarding illegally copied discs on this forum. Thank you.

Well, the legal side is an issue for me, but I thought I would try this, if it worked, as it does, I'll use it. If it had not worked, I'd buy the MB disc, and put it down to experience. Let's not get too heavy on the moralising in this excellent MB site, I won't mention the source again. Maybe all the other members using/seeking non MB or OEM parts will also keep their source secret. I only use MB parts for everything else, and Nissan (I also have a Micra as a runaround).

This isn't about OEM or non OEM parts.

A more accurate comparison would be one of using stolen parts or not stolen parts. In this case we all know it is the equivalent of stolen. But of course that is your choice not ours !

What I think Markjay was saying, was please don't direct people to sources of items that are supplied in contravention of UK law.

R

No worries!

It's a bit of a faff but works well in the end.

My unit very occasionally freezes still but hardly ever - if that happens, just turn it off and wait a few seconds, and then back on. It normally carries on where it left off but the functions work again.

Don't change tracks too fast and don't have too many tracks in a folder i.e. don't have all your MP3s in the root of the disc or within one subfolder - less tracks per folder seems works better.

autolead

chaps

im going to install a bluetooth carkit into the car

which SOT/autolead do i need please?

thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom