COMAND replacement R171 SLK

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gaz_l

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
Mini Cooper S, BMW M140i
Greetings, Citizens.

My 2006 SLK had COMAND (boot mounted DVD) and the Harmon/Kardon stereo upgrade fitted at the factory, a very expensive option for the original purchaser. The stereo is fantastic, probably the best I've ever had in a car, but the sat nav has always been pants, to be frank.

The head unit is starting to look a little tired, as I keep my phone in the pocket above it and my sharp little nails have dug into the plastic many times, leaving it looking somewhat nibbled. I've also managed to knacker the screen by cleaning it with something containing IPA (iso-propyl alcohol), which didn't agree with the coating on the screen and it's now got blooming all over it.

So I'm thinking that it's time to rip it out and fit something newer, probably by using a double-DIN adapter and fitting an aftermarket head unit. That way I can get hands-free (about the only option my car didn't come with, and an expensive retro-fit), a decent sat nav and probably Apple CarPlay too, as I'm an iPhone user.

Obviously I'd like to retain things like the steering wheel control buttons, but I've no idea how much work is involved - the last time I fitted a car stereo was in a 1991 Fiat Panda!. Oh, for the Mercedes to be as easy as that to work on..

Has anyone done this and could offer advice as to the potential pitfalls? Or, failing that, recommend a decent car audio outfit in the Hants/Berks area that could handle the job without subjecting me to a taking down of the trousers?

Cheers,

Gaz

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom