Comand retrofit/ double din

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mattyv33

Car
2001 W220 S500
Hi All,

I have a W210 with the tape and autochanger – I hate it and want to upgrade to a cd/ mp3 player.

I would like bluetooth also – just wondering how easy/ hard it would be to put a double din in there and what parts I would need?

Also I was looking at a comand retrofit, could anyone advise the same please?

Any help would be appreciated!

Many thanks,

Matt

Do a search sure there is a comand retrofit on w210 thread and there are many past threads on fitting aftermarket units. Car has ISO connections already. For double din you will need a new centre console trim that is for cars with Comand so you have a double din hole.

Last edited:
There are loads of nice double-din nav/bluetooth/dvd/etc etc units (aftermarket) by pioneer/alpine etc etc....If you are not to phased by keeping the original look, you can get much better functionality for much less.

Avoid the cheapo ebay junk though!

If you go command, speak to alfie or richard at command online...they are the font of all knowledge!

oh, and welcome to the forum, I've learnt so much from the members here in a short space of time....invaluable!

i quite fancy doing this conversion on my W202 :) I wonder if i can shimmy the w210 frame into the w202 :)

i quite fancy doing this conversion on my W202 :) I wonder if i can shimmy the w210 frame into the w202 :)
Good luck with that ;)

I considered all manner of stuff back in 2003 but settled on the old favourite. Easier if you have a sport with plastic interior rather than wood imho.

Thanks for your help!

I’ve seen the cheap ones but I reckon I’ll spend £200 on a nice Pioneer/ Kenwood.

I like the OEM look of the comand but there are som nice aftermarket ones too.

Just need to source the parts now!

Yeah, it seems like a good forum – pretty busy and people always reply to your posts quickly.

I’ve come from www.bmw5.co.uk and it is pretty much the same over there so am happy with my new home !

Please delete, double post by accident

Last edited:
site:mbclub.co.uk w210 double din - Google Search

Reading previous thread the wood dash piece is about £150 and comes in different configurations for the switches depending on what options your cas has. Finding a second hand one in the right finish and right configuration of switches wont be easy.

Due to the quite low position as well of the headunit in the car I would just go with a single din flip out screen.

Last edited:
Good luck with that ;)

I considered all manner of stuff back in 2003 but settled on the old favourite. Easier if you have a sport with plastic interior rather than wood imho.

well it should fit ish. The dash appears to be the same , heater controls the same etc etc.

Im actually on the lookout for a w202 sport pannel with all 7 buttons with the manual heater controls. Can't find one anywhere...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom