Comand Sat Nav, bonker routing

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

prop135

Car
2014 C63 AMG, 2007 Audi TT Roadster, 2007 ML63 AMG
Is it just me or does the Comand sat nav routing sometimes find some very odd routes? I have a 2014 C63 and have just activated traffic on it. I found that the sat nav created novel routes on 'fastest' routes (like it took me 11 miles out of my way and in the wrong direction) and that it doesn't take traffic into account. Now I am away from the manuals at the mo so I am presuming that it needs to be in dynamic routing to account for traffic, is that correct and does it get any better on routing? Its running V9 maps

I generally use waze but this is the first car that I have had decent streaming capabilities for so have been using android auto to manage the music and that does not allow me to set waze as the nav on it and sticks to google maps so have been experimenting with Command

That can't be right...

Your 2014 car will have a very early version of the KOM modules, and they have been known to fail, many were replaced under warranty. The first thing to check is if COMAND is actually receiving the TomTom Live Traffic data? Also check that the subscription is still valid - it is free for the first 3 years, but then you need to pay to get it renewed.

If TomTom Live Traffic is activated and working... then I would update both the maps and the firmware. If your car is still within its first 3 years, maps update will be free, though the dealer may charge for firmware update. Otherwise talk to comandonline.co.uk who can update both your maps and the firmware - also if you are in Hampshire they would be reaosnbaly close to you, well with taking the car to them.

In short... if the car is under warranty, take it to the dealer and ask them to check the KOM module (and replace it if need be), and also update the maps for free, then either pay the dealer for firmware update or take the car to comandonline.co.uk to get the firmware updated there.

If the car is no longer under warranty, just take it to comandonline.co.uk, get the maps and firmware updated, and ask them to check the KOM module - and if it transpires that the KOM module does need attention, then they will be able to advise if it's a dealer job or something they can assist with.

Also... form what others said here.... COMAND Online with TomTom Live Traffic is not as good as Waze... but it's nearly as good. So when it works properly you should not really be experiencing what you described.

COMAND only takes traffic into account if you set the Dynamic route option. All other routing options (Fastest, Shortest, ECO) ignore traffic.

As for “odd” routing options, all sat-nav’s are guilty of this to a greater or lesser extent. Bear in mind also that avoidance options (avoid toll roads, avoid U-Turns, etc.) can have a significant effect on the calculated routes too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In short... if the car is under warranty, take it to the dealer and ask them to check the KOM module (and replace it if need be), and also update the maps for free, then either pay the dealer for firmware update or take the car to comandonline.co.uk to get the firmware updated there.

If the car is no longer under warranty, just take it to comandonline.co.uk, get the maps and firmware updated, and ask them to check the KOM module - and if it transpires that the KOM module does need attention, then they will be able to advise if it's a dealer job or something they can assist with.
So have changed the routing to dynamic, it's definately receiving traffic as I only renewed it on Saturday after getting Mercedes me working. Unfortunately I am 3 months out of the warranty period having only had the car 3 weeks but I am at Comand on Friday so will speak with them

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

COMAND only takes traffic into account if you set the Dynamic route option. All other routing options (Fastest, Shortest, ECO) ignore traffic.

As for “odd” routing options, all sat-nav’s are guilty of this to a greater or lesser extent. Bear in mind also that avoidance options (avoid toll roads, avoid U-Turns, etc.) can have a significant effect on the calculated routes too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Cheers, have changed the settings. No don't use options set anyway. I have as an loads of odd routing on all sat navs but this wanted me to turn right when my house was 12 miles away to the left. When I ignored it the time to arrive got 15 minutes earlier than the original route

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Hm. This sounds very familiar and although my traffic updates expired at the end of August and I've been unable to renew the subscription due to a technical fault with the Mercedes Me portal, I think my sat nav has been suffering from early onset dementia for a good few months now. It hasn't known where I live since the first day I owned it (puts my postcode half a mile away) and randomly will tell me to turn left or right when I know I should go straight on. It also couldn't find the entrance to the hotel we were staying at on Saturday evening insisting on directing me to the rear of the hotel which was on a dual carriageway.

I find I can't really rely on it any more.

The maps were updated free by my Mercedes dealer when I had it serviced in September but it hasn't cured the problem.

The maps were updated free by my Mercedes dealer when I had it serviced in September but it hasn't cured the problem.

Next time you get it serviced and the maps updated, assuming it will still be within the first 3 years when the map updates are free, ask the dealer to also update the COMAND firmware.

The firmware is the actual software on your COMAND unit (as opposed to the maps which are data, not code).

Updating the COMAND software to the latest version will remove known bugs and may also add new features.

The firmware update is not covered under the 3 years free maps update, but if you point out to the dealer that COMAND isn't working properly, then they should agree to cary it out FOC under the new car 3 years warranty.

When we were in Cornwall recently our COMAND sat nav insisted on routing via an off road track. The Garmin Map Pilot in my daughter's C220d picked out a quite different and more conventional route for the same journey.

Sometimes COMAND is a bit bonkers.

Thanks Markjay. Unfortunately, the car is now three years and two months old and I just had it serviced in September. If I have to go back for anything else, I will ask them to do it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom