comand sat problem

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

stuart winfer

:crazy: My comand is driving me crazy. It keeps losing its stored position when it goes off a digitised road. Then I have to reset the location to make it work. Once reset it works fine and tracks its position. The map screen shows 00sat however. Is there a menu to turn the gps on or have I got a "back to dealer" problem? The system is a 2.0 in a merc c class Y 01 model with a 2004/05 disc.

Thanks Stuart.

It sounds like you are not picking up sats.
I Had a similar problem about 6 months after fitting my comand.
Originaly i was getting about 7 or 8 sats but over a peroid of time i was lucky to get 1 or 2........I suspected the gps antenna had slipped out of place (see Miro's advice on preparing the surface b4 fixing) When I removed the Instrument cluster the Antenna was hanging down looking at the floor.
I found a small cavity behind the cluster and jammed the Antenna in this...it has worked perfect since averaging about 8 sats.

Best Regards
Joe

You may also find that the antenna isn't plugged in!

joe said:
It sounds like you are not picking up sats.
I Had a similar problem about 6 months after fitting my comand.
Originaly i was getting about 7 or 8 sats but over a peroid of time i was lucky to get 1 or 2........I suspected the gps antenna had slipped out of place (see Miro's advice on preparing the surface b4 fixing) When I removed the Instrument cluster the Antenna was hanging down looking at the floor.
I found a small cavity behind the cluster and jammed the Antenna in this...it has worked perfect since averaging about 8 sats.

Best Regards
Joe

I since realised that Mercedes recommends packing the underside of the antenna install with sponge. Especially if it is one of the under dash type.

Additionally, there are usually 3 screws at the inside frame under the "crown" of the instrument cluster surround once the cluster is removed. By releasing the screws there opens a small void in which the antenna can live and also face out the window at a slight angle instead of up, as mine once was.

Anything more than 5 sats is deadly accurate.

I have an ariel on the back windscreen. Is this the one that picks up the sats? If so do i just need to replace the ariel or all of the wiring as well? If its not where is the gps ariel likley to be hiding, is it behind the instument cluster like Jo's? When it comes to tech stuff I am a little under informed so please be patient!

Thanks Stuart :)

Have had independent local merc service check everything is plugged in. They say it is and needs to go to MB service to find tech problem. I have had a look in the service menu and the system is showing some errors, if I list these doe's anyone know what they mean?

stuart winfer said:
I have an ariel on the back windscreen. Is this the one that picks up the sats? If so do i just need to replace the ariel or all of the wiring as well? If its not where is the gps ariel likley to be hiding, is it behind the instument cluster like Jo's? When it comes to tech stuff I am a little under informed so please be patient!

Thanks Stuart :)

I think factory fitted comand's have the Ariel /Antenna built into the C pillar....retrofitted ones (like mine) tend to go the easy route and mount an underdash Antenna which is self adhesive and fits behind the Instrument Cluster.
Your Ariel sounds like it is from a TV Tuner or Telephone?

Good luck
Joe

joe said:
I think factory fitted comand's have the Ariel /Antenna built into the C pillar....retrofitted ones (like mine) tend to go the easy route and mount an underdash Antenna which is self adhesive and fits behind the Instrument Cluster.
Your Ariel sounds like it is from a TV Tuner or Telephone?

Good luck
Joe

The factory ones are on the glass but only just. The connection point is in the C-pillar.

if the comand came with the car then unless you want to remove the comand yourself to see if the gps antenna lead is connected & also to check the location of the antenna , I'd recommend a dealer visit - may be a warranty issue depending how long you have had the car

installing command to a new clk 2004 model

I have just bought a command system for my new style clk.

How do I take out the existing cd radio mercedes 10 audio? does the fascia panel need to come off? and if so how do you do this.

Also I have been supplied with the new cable set and antenna. Is the job straight forward or will it need to go to an MB dealers?

rik565 said:
I have just bought a command system for my new style clk.

How do I take out the existing cd radio mercedes 10 audio? does the fascia panel need to come off? and if so how do you do this.

Also I have been supplied with the new cable set and antenna. Is the job straight forward or will it need to go to an MB dealers?

- gear shift panel (pulls up at the front end)
- ashtray (unclips with a small amount of help from a screwdriver)
- fascia (held in by 2 screws)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom