COMAND Satnav POIs

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Car
E 220CDI Estate
I understand the theory (I think) of entering points of interest into COMAND.

A specific example - how do I navigate to Stonehenge? I don't know the postcode, it doesn't seem to be in the POIs stored. What do I do?

I understand the theory (I think) of entering points of interest into COMAND.

A specific example - how do I navigate to Stonehenge? I don't know the postcode, it doesn't seem to be in the POIs stored. What do I do?

Hi Duncan
It seems you have to do what I have done here in Greece !!!
Let me explain :
In my 2007 Avantgarde and on top of my 3500 Euro COMAND I have stuck on the wind screen a PDA running Destinator 7 - So I got where I wanted to go (easy) - The view was a lough - See photo.

SO the advice is keep always a PDA handy (on the glovebox)

Regards
George

Attachments

• DSC03181vs.jpg
    DSC03181vs.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 175
If you don't want to have that nice little piece on top of the instrument panel, you can google (just an example) addresses from internet with your phone, or find the address before you start your trip. MB POI database is a bit limited but some of the data (like phone numbers) tend to get outdated anyway, an on-line database is a lot better for that. While in the car, Comand is doing a pretty good job.

If you don't want to have that nice little piece on top of the instrument panel, you can google (just an example) addresses from internet with your phone, or find the address before you start your trip. MB POI database is a bit limited but some of the data (like phone numbers) tend to get outdated anyway, an on-line database is a lot better for that. While in the car, Comand is doing a pretty good job.

Hi Diesel Benz

Well You can do too many things to find a shortcut - and I do not want to make special preparations for finding addresses - I would be very happy to get in my car and do this on the spot on the Comand. But this is not all the time possible !!!

However POIs is not the only shorcoming of MB comand - Just to name one more there is no way to put Speed Cameras !! (In BMW you can do
this !!) Also BMW's maps are more complete.

Latest version of map DVD for the E Class (i.e.v9 APS 2008-2009) is a lot better that v8 but still a lot lot lot behind from what you can get on a PDA-Thus my advice to keep one handy.

Just about a month ago I got an OMNIA mobile (with Igo2008 and Destinator7 )so I threw away the MIO. So atleast I do not have to have 2 devices handy- only the phone (for which I can not get a craddle !!!!! )..

Best Regards
George

Last edited:
Hi Diesel Benz

Well You can do too many things to find a shortcut - and I do not want to make special preparations for finding addresses - I would be very happy to get in my car and do this on the spot on the Comand. But this is not all the time possible !!!

However POIs is not the only shorcoming of MB comand - Just to name one more there is no way to put Speed Cameras !! (In BMW you can do
this !!) Also BMW's maps are more complete.

Latest version of map DVD for the E Class (i.e.v9 APS 2008-2009) is a lot better that v8 but still a lot lot lot behind from what you can get on a PDA-Thus my advice to keep one handy.

Just about a month ago I got an OMNIA mobile (with Igo2008 and Destinator7 )so I threw away the MIO. So atleast I do not have to have 2 devices handy- only the phone (for which I can not get a craddle !!!!! )..

Best Regards
George

But you have to agree that speed camera info (sort of POI too) was not officially supported by BMW, their "security" just allowed this hack. Or is there some new info that I am not aware (quite possible, I don't follow the BMW stuff really)? And do they allow to add the direction of travel, the speed limit and the distance to warning too? If you really need these, a cell phone application would do it. I personally cannot see a car manufacturer that sells cars with a strong safety argument adding official support for speed cameras. Fine by me if people use those, I've done it too but one should not expert this officially from any car manufacturer even if buyers were after this.

Where do you need a phone cradle if you use a BT SAP adapter? Someone informed that windows mobile phone got SAP support recently. I know SAP versus HF is another item of personal preferences, this is why I put it here. I understand your preferences and expectations, I hope you and others accept mine being different (sometimes).

But you have to agree that speed camera info (sort of POI too) was not officially supported by BMW, their "security" just allowed this hack. Or is there some new info that I am not aware (quite possible, I don't follow the BMW stuff really)? And do they allow to add the direction of travel, the speed limit and the distance to warning too? If you really need these, a cell phone application would do it. I personally cannot see a car manufacturer that sells cars with a strong safety argument adding official support for speed cameras. Fine by me if people use those, I've done it too but one should not expert this officially from any car manufacturer even if buyers were after this.

Where do you need a phone cradle if you use a BT SAP adapter? Someone informed that windows mobile phone got SAP support recently. I know SAP versus HF is another item of personal preferences, this is why I put it here. I understand your preferences and expectations, I hope you and others accept mine being different (sometimes).

Hi again
You are correct and I do agree that speed camera info (sort of POI too) was not officially supported by BMW. But atleast they can do it one way or another.
I run a S/W company and I just do not like close systems that can not be expanded or upgraded. It is not a matter of what other people or wish but please explain me why on earth I should not expect a vehicle manufacturer to use advanced s/w applications in their cars ??? Why should they use primitive GPS s/w , and map data that is neither complete or even uptodate ?? I do expect them to use the best s/w on the best available h/w, especially if they charge you 3695 Euros for h/w and s/w plus another couple of hundred for the map data.
They could be using Windows CE 6.1 with some state of the art GPS s/w , Couldn't they ?? Or even allow you to use any s/w you wanted to.

Now with regards to the phone craddle. There 2 main reasons :
a) if you do have a craddle then your phone is charged every time you are in the car so you will not be left with an empty battery
b) the reception is a lot lot better as it gets signal from the external aerial
c) When blue tooth is activated on the phone it strains the battery a lot quicker and most important
c) radiation is going out of the car -- (faraday's cage effect ??)

it is worth noting that I do have a bluetooth craddle but I rarely use it. Most of the time I use my k800 with its coresonding craddle.

Having said all , I do offcourse accept your views being different but let me have higher expectations from MB and other premium car makers !!
All the best
George

Hi again
Now with regards to the phone craddle. There 2 main reasons :
a) if you do have a cradle then your phone is charged every time you are in the car so you will not be left with an empty battery
b) the reception is a lot lot better as it gets signal from the external aerial
c) When blue tooth is activated on the phone it strains the battery a lot quicker and most important
c) radiation is going out of the car -- (faraday's cage effect ??)

George

Except SAP Bluetooth uses the car's aerial too, which makes for a better signal, does not drain the battery on the phone and the radiation is going out of the car.

Admittedly it doesn't charge the phone but, as the phone isn't being used there is no drain on the battery.

Hi again
You are correct and I do agree that speed camera info (sort of POI too) was not officially supported by BMW. But atleast they can do it one way or another.
I run a S/W company and I just do not like close systems that can not be expanded or upgraded. It is not a matter of what other people or wish but please explain me why on earth I should not expect a vehicle manufacturer to use advanced s/w applications in their cars ??? Why should they use primitive GPS s/w , and map data that is neither complete or even uptodate ?? I do expect them to use the best s/w on the best available h/w, especially if they charge you 3695 Euros for h/w and s/w plus another couple of hundred for the map data.
They could be using Windows CE 6.1 with some state of the art GPS s/w , Couldn't they ?? Or even allow you to use any s/w you wanted to.

I see you must be an expert on SW issues and then I don't start arguing with you on this topic. On the other hand, I think I agree mostly with your views. But aren't most MB head units already using Windows CE, even if the user does not see a windows desktop? MB must be afraid of users screwing up their devices, one reason why they removed the engineering mode at one point. But I don't see why they could not implement a "detector" for user modified SW, then the user would have the choice to abandon warranty for possible open source enhancements.

Open source on the other hand could mean "no more map updates to sell", lost profit etc. A complicated topic but since all the HW and most of the SW already is there, I do agree that it would be of interest to make use of this all.

Amwebby already took care of the phone issue. I agree completely with his points.

Except SAP Bluetooth uses the car's aerial too, which makes for a better signal, does not drain the battery on the phone and the radiation is going out of the car.

Admittedly it doesn't charge the phone but, as the phone isn't being used there is no drain on the battery.

Hello amwebby

Thanks for your comments, however I think you got it all wrong

Your reception has to do with whatever your phone is doing and where your phone's aerial is situated.

When you use your a phone specific craddle your phone's aerial is directly connected to the external aerial (you can see the connection in the craddle and phone).
When you use a BT craddle SAP or other the phone's aerial is still where the phone is --Inside your car (convertint it to a Faraday Cage ) or even possibly in your pocket ! -(NO EXTERNAL AERIAL)-

After testing :
a) The GSM signal when using a phone specific craddle is atleast 1/5 -2/5 stronger if you compare it with using a bluetooth craddle.
b) The GSM signal when using a phone specific craddle has signal in places where the bluetooth solution has zero --- thanks to the direct connection of the phone's aerial to the phone. Do not take my word for it - test it !

Now with regards to the phone draining the battery if BT is activated just do your testing again - When BT is activated the phone is consuming extra power thus draining you phone a lot quicker. Do not take my word for it - test it !

The only advantage for using BT is convenience i.e. walk to the car - phone still in the pocket - enter the car connection made - nothing else to do. However I can still remember having just got out of the car (leting the parking guy to take it for parking) the phone rung I answered it was trying to talk and I could listen the other party talking from inside my car (BT connection was still on)

The word is not perfect - we are just trying to make it as such -Not always with success though - but this gives us the chance to communicate
Best Regards
George

I see you must be an expert on SW issues and then I don't start arguing with you on this topic. On the other hand, I think I agree mostly with your views. But aren't most MB head units already using Windows CE, even if the user does not see a windows desktop? MB must be afraid of users screwing up their devices, one reason why they removed the engineering mode at one point. But I don't see why they could not implement a "detector" for user modified SW, then the user would have the choice to abandon warranty for possible open source enhancements.

Open source on the other hand could mean "no more map updates to sell", lost profit etc. A complicated topic but since all the HW and most of the SW already is there, I do agree that it would be of interest to make use of this all.

Amwebby already took care of the phone issue. I agree completely with his points.

Hi again
It is absolutely true you are raising some very valid points and I have to aggree with most if not all of them.
My only really valid complaint would be : Ok have a "Closed system" but bring some updates ,last on on s/w was 2006 bringing the famous ETA future (wow !!!!) and charge for it (so it is worth for MB) --2 years today in s/w and H/w is a century !.
With regards to this issue MB is moving with the speed of light !!!!!!!!!
Also bring some good map updates -MB's maps whenever they are out , they are always atleast a year behind of most others

Best Regards from sunny Athens

George

Hello amwebby

Thanks for your comments, however I think you got it all wrong

Your reception has to do with whatever your phone is doing and where your phone's aerial is situated.

When you use your a phone specific craddle your phone's aerial is directly connected to the external aerial (you can see the connection in the craddle and phone).
When you use a BT craddle SAP or other the phone's aerial is still where the phone is --Inside your car (convertint it to a Faraday Cage ) or even possibly in your pocket ! -(NO EXTERNAL AERIAL)-

After testing :
a) The GSM signal when using a phone specific craddle is atleast 1/5 -2/5 stronger if you compare it with using a bluetooth craddle.
b) The GSM signal when using a phone specific craddle has signal in places where the bluetooth solution has zero --- thanks to the direct connection of the phone's aerial to the phone. Do not take my word for it - test it !

Now with regards to the phone draining the battery if BT is activated just do your testing again - When BT is activated the phone is consuming extra power thus draining you phone a lot quicker. Do not take my word for it - test it !

The only advantage for using BT is convenience i.e. walk to the car - phone still in the pocket - enter the car connection made - nothing else to do. However I can still remember having just got out of the car (leting the parking guy to take it for parking) the phone rung I answered it was trying to talk and I could listen the other party talking from inside my car (BT connection was still on)

The word is not perfect - we are just trying to make it as such -Not always with success though - but this gives us the chance to communicate
Best Regards
George

I'm sorry but you are incorrect regarding the BT SAP implimentation..

When using BT SAP the car becomes the phone, it adopts the mobiles SIM (hence Sim Aquisition Profile) and the mobile will go into hibernation. No communication, be it voice of SMS, goes through the mobile aerial all connection is through the car aerial. There is minimal drain on the mobile battery

I'm sorry but you are incorrect regarding the BT SAP implimentation..

When using BT SAP the car becomes the phone, it adopts the mobiles SIM (hence Sim Aquisition Profile) and the mobile will go into hibernation. No communication, be it voice of SMS, goes through the mobile aerial all connection is through the car aerial. There is minimal drain on the mobile battery

Which is what I said. Thanks.

PS - I thought it was SIM Access Profile?

Last edited:
Forgive me if I return to my original question - how do I use the satnav facility in COMAND to navigate to, say, Stonehenge?

Or is the short answer that I can't?

best way ive found find a POI in the town closest to where it is.

Forgive me if I return to my original question - how do I use the satnav facility in COMAND to navigate to, say, Stonehenge?

Or is the short answer that I can't?

Stonehenge does show up as a tourist destination if you're in Salisbury. Otherwise the best way is to find the postcode or co-ordinates on your computer and enter these in COMAND. Stonehenge is SP4 7DE

I have Google maps on my mobile and so use that to find a POI that can't be found in COMAND.

Last edited:

I've seen both definitions, depends where one reads it. But yes SIM Access Profile is what MB calls it.

Intrestingly Nokia refer to it as remote SIM mode...

Hi amwebby and whitenemesis

First I have to say sorry for the mixup !!

My craddle is not the SAP (which is a phone ) it is the Bluetooth HFP cradle.
So I think you are both correct with regards to SAP craddle which is a phone in itself, and works on GSM900 and GSM1800 networks, (It is said that it will not work on the 3G networks). Also it does NOT work with Windows Mobile 6 based smart phones which do have a SAP implementation.
HFP which I have and have tested has the limitations and shortcomings I mentioned earlier.
SAP I do not have - will probably get one and test it. But I have to make sure it works with my Omnia (which runs Windows mobile 6.1) and I would be gratefull if you had any info on this.
Regards again
George

Hi George, no probs :)

Yes the HFP cradle is limited to using the phone's aerial as you mentioned but does have much wider compatibility. It's really only the more recent Nokias that work with SAP reliably.

I think you answered your own question regrading WM6.1 it does have SAP but it's not compatible with MB's implementation. Neither is Blackberry's SAP implementation compatible with MB :( Ridiculous !!

Hi George, no probs :)

Yes the HFP cradle is limited to using the phone's aerial as you mentioned but does have much wider compatibility. It's really only the more recent Nokias that work with SAP reliably.

I think you answered your own question regrading WM6.1 it does have SAP but it's not compatible with MB's implementation. Neither is Blackberry's SAP implementation compatible with MB :( Ridiculous !!

Here's where the argument comes back round to "open" systems allowing for updates. The MB BT SAP module has no route that I know of for a firmware upgrade but that is what is needed to support new and/or different implementations of SAP.

Having said that, I do believe the Blackberry and WM6 implementation of SAP are at fault here, neither are "state of the art" and I have read of an addition to WM6 that enables the MB module to work with that platform.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom