Comand Speed Signal

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Paul Grainger

Car
SL55, Porsche 996 C2 convertible
Does anybody know where to find the speed signal in a (late 1999) CLK 320 convertible (with can-bus)? There doesn't seem to be a green/black wire in the right hand side door sill......
I need this to complete my comand installation.

Comand Installation

Thanks Koolvin for your quick response.

There is no green/white wire behind the stereo. There is, however, a green/red wire in position 2 on the power iso-connector that goes into the back of the original audio 10 radio. I don't know what this is for... could it be the speed signal?
The pin-out for this connector is:
Pin 1 - nothing connected
Pin 2 - red/green wire - function unknown (speed signal?)
Pin 3 - not connected, function believed to be phone mute
Pin 4 - constant +12v input
Pin 5 - Antenna +12v output
Pin 6 - not connected
Pin 7 - ignition switched +12v input
Pin 8 - ground

How could I identify the speed sensor cable? does it pulse to +12v when the car is moving? I have spent literally hours and hours researching this problem....any help would be GREATLY appreciated!!

Comand installation

Whilst installing my comand I seem to have caused another problem. When the engine on my late 99 CLK 320 Cab is running, I get two fault messages 'ABS' and 'Brake Assist'. Turning of the ignition, then back on again will reset the faults, but 10 seconds after the engine is started the same faults re-appear. This may be un-connected with the work on my comand installation, but it seems mighty coincidental!
I have checked all fuses etc, but the faults won't go away.
Does anyone have any previous experience / ideas?

Don't connect anything to what you are uncertain of! MB electronics are quite sophisticated... I have sent of an E-mail to Steve (a friend who is visiting the USA installing commands in peoples car - no joke he has done about 15 command installs on his visit so far)

in the mean time read this site if you havn't done so already...
http://users.pandora.be/miata/english/Comand/comand_mercedes.htm

also what version of command do you have? do you have it's part number?

Re: Comand installation

Originally posted by Paul Grainger
Whilst installing my comand I seem to have caused another problem. When the engine on my late 99 CLK 320 Cab is running, I get two fault messages 'ABS' and 'Brake Assist'. Turning of the ignition, then back on again will reset the faults, but 10 seconds after the engine is started the same faults re-appear. This may be un-connected with the work on my comand installation, but it seems mighty coincidental!
I have checked all fuses etc, but the faults won't go away.
Does anyone have any previous experience / ideas?

Sounds like either the brake located sensor has failed, or you have damaged the related wire somewhere.

I'm guessing you get something like this:

w208cluster.jpg

w210cluster.jpg

w202cluster.jpg

As for the speed sensor wire, Matt Allcoat ( http://www.allcoat.com | [email protected] ) has a comand retrofit in his nearly brand new clk320 cab, and he had some problems with the speed sensor wire too, Steve (MBenzNL - installed my comand and LOTS of others, mentioned earlier in this thread) installed the comand in his car but was unable to identify an appropriate speed sensor (he tested basically every wire he could find!). I haven't spoken with Matt lately - he may have fixed this.

In the meantime here is something I mentioned to Matt as well - Blaupunkt speed sensor for use with travelpilot (comand uses this for navigation) http://www.bluespot.co.uk/stock/speed_sens.asp, this might work with comand and maybe for £55 you could save yourself a lot of hassle and have a working comand unit!

I had the same problem finding the speedpulsing wire in that mentioned CLK320 conv quiet a while ago (it was the first comand I installed). I have installed a comand in a 2001 CLK55 2 weeks ago and found the green/black wire in a blue 6-pin (or 8-pin) connector at the A-pillar on the passenger side...I have some pictures but they are still on my laptop (I just came back from the states and have too much to do to start uploading pictures).

ABS, EPS, ASR and other fault codes like that are probably caused by tapping into the wrong speed pulsing wire(s).

I will try to upload the CLK speedpulse pictures today and post them here.

greetingz,

Originally posted by MBenzNL
I had the same problem finding the speedpulsing wire in that mentioned CLK320 conv quiet a while ago (it was the first comand I installed). I have installed a comand in a 2001 CLK55 2 weeks ago and found the green/black wire in a blue 6-pin (or 8-pin) connector at the A-pillar on the passenger side...I have some pictures but they are still on my laptop (I just came back from the states and have too much to do to start uploading pictures).

ABS, EPS, ASR and other fault codes like that are probably caused by tapping into the wrong speed pulsing wire(s).

I will try to upload the CLK speedpulse pictures today and post them here.

greetingz,

Steve has sent me this pic:

speedpulseclk.jpg

Comand Installation

Thanks everyone for your help with locating the speed sensor wire.

I located the wire today - persons in the UK with RHD cars should note that this wire is in the LHS sill - not the RHS sill as noted in many articles on the net. Other than being on the opposite side, everything is as per instructions.

The ABS and BAS faults have cleared following instructions in the owners handbook (yes, really) it seems that these faults may come on automatically after the battery has been disconnected. To reset, turn the ignition on and turn the steering wheel lock-to-lock. The faults clear. It's as easy as that. Strange but true.

I now have a final problem though. MY SRS light is continuously lit when the ignition is on. This must be because I disturbed some wiring connectors when I pulled all of the wires out of the sills. I have checked and rechecked for open circuits or loose connections, but can find none.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Paul

well done! just as MBenzNL said it was there!!!

ok re: the fault light, just get it reset by the stealership! easy as pie... it should stay off, unless there really is a fault.

hi what about the can bus wires are they on the c connector or do are they in the sill as well?

if in the sill waht are the colurs?

thanks

Kenny

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom