COMAND - Two Tuners ?

Discussion in 'Electronics' started by saorbust, Dec 1, 2003.

1. saorbust

saorbust Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    CLS350CDI
    Hi all,

I believe the COMAND system has two tuners in it, for radio reception. In fact I think this is advertised in the manual - and it has a number of purposes. One of them is to be able to tune into the TMC broadcasts of another station, in order that the Radio can be set independently whilst still receiving traffic info.

However, after experimenting this weekend with a TMC enabled COMAND sat nav disc, I find this doesn't work in the UK, and my radio always goes back to Classic FM (TMC broadcast carrier). If I re-tune to say Radio 1, it looses TMC reception.

Anyone any ideas why ?

2. sym

sym Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    W204 C220CDI Sport
    I don't think there are two tuners - in COMAND 2.0 anyway.

Got TMC to work whilst in Germany / Belgium / France last week, but I had to be tuned to a TMC station . . otherwise TMC traffic updates were not received.

Its very good, by the way, when it works !

S.

3. Shude

Shude MB Club Veteran

Car:
    CLK55 AMG
    How do you explain the way comand collects a list of all the radio stations for you to browse through, even while listening to the radio? AFAIK the other tuner searches for them :)

4. sym

sym Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    W204 C220CDI Sport
    Very true. Still can't work out why you have to be tuned to a TMC station in order to receive the traffic bulletins though - is that detailed in the manual at all ?

S.

5. Shude

Shude MB Club Veteran

Car:
    CLK55 AMG
    Everything is detailed in the manual. There are 20 pages about TMC, I will pour myself a cuppa and start reading in a minute :)

6. OP
    OP
    saorbust

saorbust Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    CLS350CDI
    TMC is the digital signals - its not the voice traffic reports. They are received electronically and translated by the COMAND system - provided it has a set of location codes, which are supplied on the nav CD.

I just happen to have a Nav CD for the UK with these codes, so I can try it out in the UK. Its working, but I have to keep the radio on Classic FM (The carrier for the data) in order to have the traffic info.

I wondered why, given the manual states otherwise. I'm going to re-check the manual too !

Tags: