Comand Upgrade From June

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
What is this note about: "problem might occur at no network areas..."?

Ive seen that phone problem before with iPhones

If there is no signal and you make a call, it sort of gets stuck a bit. Then if you are in a signal area and unlock the phone it calls that last number.

Good spot on the iPhone BT data access - looks like they have added the support in head unit for it finally, now to find out whether firmware update for older car is possible - there was new Telematics (head unit firmware) with 03/2013 Star Diagnosis release for NTG4.5

Richard

Interesting

So has anyone with a facelifted (pre June 2013) managed to get their Comand Updated?

BTW, I have emailed Mercedes (from their Contact Us web form on their website) to ask how and when do they intend to update Command for current owners of the face-lifted C Class to get the data functionality.

I suggest anyone who has a facelifed C class do the same to get them to update our command. (it is surely a firmware update, not hardware)

Not sure if this helps, I've just purchases E350 2012 with command. I was told it would be hardware to upgrade comandonline to work with i phone (Mercedes sales rep). My solution was to get a Samsung S3, download Bluedun app, it works perfect with comandonline apart from being mega slow. Nothing to do with phone as internet goes through Mercedes server. Being able to use Google maps on laptop & sending info to car is brilliant!

I too am waiting for an update on this. Seriously, how can a top end car manufacture not have iPhone data connectivity in 2013??

I'm new to Mercedes and I have to say the Comand system is a bit rubbish... Thank god they can build great engines.

Just picked up a Eclass estate. Dunno build date but I picked it up on the 20th
Was in Zeebrugee on the 14th

Command is all fine and everything else with iphone5

Just need to get this Google send to car to work.

Did it really not work with iPhones before this model ? :-/

This from my dealer:
"Your vehicle supports a "Dun" software system which stands for "Dial up network” which unfortunately will not connect online because of a hardware limitation on your vehicle. There is no update available.
Now vehicles registered from September 2013 will support a "Pan" which stands for "personal area network" and this system will allow online connection but unfortunately doesn’t help you."

The DUN is a protocol (software) I would be very surprised to find it's not upgradeable. I would also be really disappointed that my car can't connect to the internet using one of the most popular phones available in 2013....

Bizarre as it sounds, Command Online does not work with iPhone. Interestingly BMW do a different approach where the car has its own SIM and uses this to go online. Free for the first 3 yrs then they charge you. Gets round phone compatibility I suppose.

I took delivery of my E 350 facelift AMG sport this weekend. Comandonline works fine with my iPhone 5. surfed web & listened to internet radio - fine when stationary but internet radio a bit iffy on the move. bought an adapter from apple store to connect iPhone to MB supplied connectors

Last edited:
Surely 3G signal is so crap in the UK outside of a major city making this a fairly pointless service?

I've got an iPhone 5 and COMAND from a Feb 2013 car but I can't really see the point of this?

3G is pitiful in the UK, this was made really obvious to me when going to Spain and Portugal and having full fast 3G signal nearly everywhere I went including in the sticks!

Is there any really interesting cool feature that we are missing out on?

So, got an update today from my dealer who kindly approached MB directly to find out the latest on the "Comand/iPhone update" debacle.

"We have no software to update the Comand operating unit to make them compatible with specific phones such as an iPhone. We are told that the Hardware of the Comand units are different and that it is a Hardware issue and not a software issue.
No update is available for early versions of Comand On-Line."

Really, really disappointed. How can a company like MB think that is acceptable? So my plan is to write to MB and tell them. Just in case anyone else would like t do the same:

Customer Services
Mercedes-Benz UK Limited
Delaware Drive
Tongwell
Milton Keynes
Buckinghamshire
MK15 8BA

Moff, I take your point but I feel that I paid for a complete car/system so I want it to work.

So, got an update today from my dealer who kindly approached MB directly to find out the latest on the "Comand/iPhone update" debacle.

"We have no software to update the Comand operating unit to make them compatible with specific phones such as an iPhone. We are told that the Hardware of the Comand units are different and that it is a Hardware issue and not a software issue.
No update is available for early versions of Comand On-Line."

Really, really disappointed. How can a company like MB think that is acceptable? So my plan is to write to MB and tell them. Just in case anyone else would like t do the same:

Customer Services
Mercedes-Benz UK Limited
Delaware Drive
Tongwell
Milton Keynes
Buckinghamshire
MK15 8BA

Moff, I take your point but I feel that I paid for a complete car/system so I want it to work.

There is a huge firmware update which has just been released (05/13). It contains a lot of telematics updates for NTG 4.5. why dont you pop down and see us and we can load it and see if it fixes the problems for you?

Do Mercedes ever provide release notes with firmware updates as I'm sure they will say if older NTG4.5 units will be getting the PAN Bluetooth profile as part of the update? I don't hold out much hope though but I'm prepared to be amazed!

There is a huge firmware update which has just been released (05/13). It contains a lot of telematics updates for NTG 4.5. why dont you pop down and see us and we can load it and see if it fixes the problems for you?

Alfie, that is a very kind offer. I have just got my car back last week from MB and as well as fixing rattles they should have updated the firmware to the latest patch. Is there a way I can tell which one they updated to?

Many thanks,

Tom.

iPhone 4 and Internet access

Since taking delivery of my 2013 E class each time I use the services menu I get the data failure message. All is ok with my old Samsung phone, so as per may posts on here the iPhone clearly won't interface.

However tonight whilst waiting to pick someone up I noticed if I turned my iPhone into a wifi hotspot the full Mercedes Internet system is accessible.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom