COMAND woe with CLK 320CDI

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GizmoPower

Car
55 plate CLK 320CDI
Hi all,

I know there are all manner of threads relating to COMAND and related issues and I have searched many, but cannot seem to find an authoritive answer.

I bought a 55 plate CLK 320CDI in September 05, fitted with DVD COMAND.

The system shipped with a dvd, version 4.0.

I have had nothing but bother with the system since I have had the car. I take a left off the roundabout, 2 seconds later the system tells me to 'turn left now'. Not just a few roundabouts. around 100%

The TMC does not work in the UK. It did when I went to France, but the system was so unreliable on roundabouts I switched the thing off in the end.

If I zoom right in and look at the map, I am always represented about 20 yards behind where I actually am. Does not matter whether I am travelling north, east, south or west - Always behind.

The dealers have flashed the COMAND, checked the head unit, etc. etc. But to no avail.

Does anyone know the answer to this mess?

Thanks guys.

They all do that - COMAND navigation is rubbish really, but it looks nice. I tested an Accord before I bought my MB and that (the lag, especially) was worse than in the MB.
Single roundabouts are OK because you've already been told which exit to use (until a recent upgrade it often used to announce the wrong roundabout exit, but the map was right). It just can't cope with multiple roundabouts.
(Maybe this is why they don't have roundabouts in the USA?).

Ask for your money back for the COMAND option - that should generate a kerfuffle.

V4 disk is correct - there is allegedly a V5 at some point which will include UK TMC. MB have been very careful not to tell people that TMC will work in the UK - it's been taken out of the brochures etc.

Rory said:
They all do that - COMAND navigation is rubbish really, but it looks nice. I tested an Accord before I bought my MB and that (the lag, especially) was worse than in the MB.
Single roundabouts are OK because you've already been told which exit to use (until a recent upgrade it often used to announce the wrong roundabout exit, but the map was right). It just can't cope with multiple roundabouts.
(Maybe this is why they don't have roundabouts in the USA?).

Ask for your money back for the COMAND option - that should generate a kerfuffle.

V4 disk is correct - there is allegedly a V5 at some point which will include UK TMC. MB have been very careful not to tell people that TMC will work in the UK - it's been taken out of the brochures etc.

Those comments may apply to the new COMAND but COMAND 2 (CD Based) is certainly not rubbish. It is accurate, reliable and easy to use with TMC.

GizmoPower said:
I bought a 55 plate CLK 320CDI in September 05, fitted with DVD COMAND.

Edit.

I have given DUFF information :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:
John

Last edited:
Thanks for the replys guys.

From what I have read on this site, it seems that there are two different versions of COMAND? One for the CLK and smaller cars, and one for the 'E' Class etc. Don't know if that IS correct, but I have read that version 5.00 will not work in my car :p

I fully intend to kick up a fuss until this gets sorted, but every MB employee I speak to tells me something different!

GizmoPower said:
One for the CLK and smaller cars, and one for the 'E' Class etc. Don't know if that IS correct, but I have read that version 5.00 will not work in my car :p

Like I said,
You get some excellent information and some bad.:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

If you have the latest CLK it is not on the compatible list
Latest
CL 09/03, E-class DVD COMAND, Maybach, S-class DVD COMAND, SL-class 07/04 DVD COMAND, SLK-class 03/04 DVD COMAND and CLS.

Your dealer should refer you to the technical department. Sales staff are there to sell vehicles and try to keep up to date on the latest options??? Not any easy task.

I would be suspicious of the advice given by folks that simply say COMAND is rubbish.

John

Edit to correct DUFF advice :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: Mega embarrassed

Last edited:
Agreed. Comand 2.0 in my w203 is perfect... very accurate and very easy to use!
(fairly easy to install too)

Steve
:D

I'm having the COMAND system in my July 05 SL replaced Wednesday foc due to a couple of minor problems like it sometimes locks up on the Mercedes operating screen and occasionally I get no sound from the TV when I turn it on.

But overall I think it's a fantastic system and does what it says on the tin, but if I really wanted to pick holes in it I could, but then I could with everything if I tried hard enough because nothings perfect ;)

Glen

My SLK was a September '05 build and came with version 4.01. A friend of mine has given me a 'certified' copy of V5.01 so it does exist if thats any help.

I've not removed the V4.01 yet and installed the new one, so I cannot verify the benefits of the latest version. If someone could point out what I should be looking for or noticing then I will check at the weekend?.

Portzy.

PS, mine used to lock up but a re-flash seemed to sort things out, either that or it was a (suspected) faulty video DVD.

Had no problems with the CD Comand in my C270.

Have no problems with my DVD Comand in my E 320 either. I've upgraded from version 4.0 to 5.0 with TMC. With all TMC set-ups there are sometimes delays in receiving TMC info, but this is down to the radio network, not the car.

Sounds like there is a problem with your head unit/calibration. Have you checked that the tyre size is right on the calibration settings?

I have used Sat Nav since 2002 in a Peugeot 607 and Mitsubishi Shogun - both systems factort fit options. I have had my E class for 3 weeks and the COMAND Navigation system is just as accurate. In fact it calculates identical routes on trips I frequently make. I assume this is because the basic map data is the same - is it from Navteq on the COMAND disk?

I haven't had any issues with the directions at roundabouts but it does have "half right" and "half left" instruction that is new to me. The map is a lot clearer and the graphics in the speedo display a great help - overall I have no issues with the system.

My disk is Version 4.1 which was shipped with my E320CDI - built in May 2005. The TMC function does not work.

The Ver 5.0 disk is available - Part No B6 782 34 89 - Cost £217 + VAT and this part number superceded the old VER4.1 disk on 22nd December2005. With this disk the TMC functionality should work.

I havn't yet got this disk so I can't comment.

Reading through the posts I had seen the tyre size calibration setting mentioned. I assumed that the technical guys checked this when it went in for this problem to be rectified.

I would be quite happy to check it myself if I knew how to get into the menu.

Mine is the Sport version with the AMG alloys, so it made sense to me that this could be an issue.

Although it sounds to me that I am at least 1 version behind. Eek!

Edit: After reading this, I'm even more confused. http://www.mbclub.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=24697

Last edited:
portzy said:
A friend of mine has given me a 'certified' copy of V5.01 so it does exist if thats any help.

Hi Portzy,
:D :) You are not obliged to say anything unless you wish to;) but what you say.....

This version 5.01 you claim to have. I don't suppose you have the part number??

It is extremely unlikely that a new version would be released so quickly after version 5.

Remember we have a lot of ill informed rumour spreading members that enjoy stirring things.

We all have to step back and understand that Mercedes-Benz now have periodic upgrades, for their vehicles, flash upgrades call them what you want. Some of these upgrades also update the COMAND option. These upgrades are totally different from the DVD navigational updates. These DVD's usually just contain updated mapping information.

TMC is a different topic and again there are loads of rumours, just to keep it simple and to avoid the politics, version 5 is the only version that will allow TMC to operate in this country and on the vehicles I have listed.

Regards,
John

glojo said:
If you have the latest CLK then you have the same COMAND as on the E.
So does the E still have the separate Nav drive? I did make the assumption that the CLK COMAND would be the same as the (integrated) one in my 2005 C Class.

glojo said:
I would be suspicious of the advice given by folks that simply say COMAND is rubbish.
OK, rubbish is perhaps a bit stong, but (in my opinion) it's pretty slow witted, and exhibits the same lag as GizmoPower mentioned. My kids always shout 'what, now?', when the lady says to turn left 2 seconds after I've actually turned left.
It got me into a horrible mess in Bristol a few weeks ago, and it was pretty baffled by Cambridge recently, too.

GizmoPower said:
Reading through the posts I had seen the tyre size calibration setting mentioned. I assumed that the technical guys checked this when it went in for this problem to be rectified.

I would be quite happy to check it myself if I knew how to get into the menu.

Mine is the Sport version with the AMG alloys, so it made sense to me that this could be an issue.

Although it sounds to me that I am at least 1 version behind. Eek!

Edit: After reading this, I'm even more confused. http://www.mbclub.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=24697

Calibration for tyre size is only valid on the CD version - you have the DVD version. Ignore the comment.

Rory said:
So does the E still have the separate Nav drive? I did make the assumption that the CLK COMAND would be the same as the (integrated) one in my 2005 C Class.

OK, rubbish is perhaps a bit stong, but (in my opinion) it's pretty slow witted, and exhibits the same lag as GizmoPower mentioned. My kids always shout 'what, now?', when the lady says to turn left 2 seconds after I've actually turned left.
It got me into a horrible mess in Bristol a few weeks ago, and it was pretty baffled by Cambridge recently, too.

I'm with Glojo on this. I've had 7 MB's now - all with COMAND. The only issue occured the other day when I had to have the software reset. Otherwise its been faultless.

I suspect its such a good system that people expect it to be perfect, and when its not quite right state its 'rubbish'. If it was that bad they'd struggle to sell it for the price they do.

And I still maintain you'll get a heck of a lot more from it if you read the manual.......:D

I genuinely want this to work, I have no intention of chasing refunds etc., its a company car anyway.

It has glimers of brilliance, but the 20 yard offset bug is a killer.

Just to clarify, I wouldn't describe it as lag in the conventional sense.

If I pull up to a junction and come to a stop, I remain constantly 20 yards back from the junction on the map, it doesn't 'catch up'.

When I start moving again, I go past the junction by 20 yards before I do on the map!

If I were to turn left at that junction, the map would sit there contemplating life, the universe and everything, before working out from my new location that I did actually turn left - about 50 yards down that left turning.

Its a real bummer when you are using the NAV and you have passengers, everyone ALWAYS sniggers when I am told 'now turn left' 2 seconds too late. Constantly! Now I have a sense of humour but...

Just to make matters worse, my colleague has just had a 535 sport with Sat Nav, and not only does it have birds eye ;) - It also works flawlessly.

But, back to the point, in the thread I linked to earlier, someone confirms that the COMAND in the CLK is not compatible with the 5.0 disk o_O

I have the unit with the DVD just above the widescreen display.

Once again, thanks for the input guys, I really do appreciate the help.

Gizmo,

Assuming you have the latest COMAND APS the Navi disk should be in a separte drive (in the boot on the E Class), the slot above the display is for DVD/CD/MP3 etc.

This unit is definitely capable of TMC functionality with a VER 5 disk.

Your problem definitely sounds like a fault to me.

It is a CLK 320CDI SPORT (not sport pack, but as opposed to elegance or avant garde for clarity) built Jul/Aug 05, delivery Sep 05.

DVD version of COMAND, but I don't have a separate drive, just a 6 CD changer in the glove box, and a single slot above the screen which the NAV DVD was in when I collected the car.

All these different versions of COMAND are very confusing. Is this the one I should have?

steve.link said:
Gizmo,

Assuming you have the latest COMAND APS the Navi disk should be in a separte drive (in the boot on the E Class), the slot above the display is for DVD/CD/MP3 etc.

This unit is definitely capable of TMC functionality with a VER 5 disk.
Well I've got the latest COMAND APS (in a C270) but it doesn't have a separate drive in the boot - I'm dying to know if GizmoPowers CLK has a separate drive, but I think I know the answer.

V5 (for the E Class) doesn't work in my car - it needs a different V5, which apparently doesn't exist yet. It was also widely reported that V5 had 'issues' and that MB had withdrawn it, but othere have said it works fine.

I've got no axe to grind with anyone, but a £1800 system should work faultlessly (and it should be kept up to date at a reasonable cost).

Clearly I'm not unique - GizmoPower has exactly the same problems as I do.

Edited to say: OK, I'm slow to type, but I thought it would be the same as mine.

Glojo - appreciate you're trying to help, but it doesn't do to be critical of others comments when you're wrong yourself.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom