Come on indies/techies - it's tricky test time

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

developer

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
Volvo V90 D5 AWD
Since I've owned my S211 E320CDI 2008 (V6) it has had a slight vibration at idle (700rpm) felt through the steering wheel and driver's seat.

MB Central have accepted it isn't how it should be and have previously changed the engine and gearbox mounts, but to no avail.

They raised a query with Milton Keynes (HQ) who suggested that the EGR should be looked at (?).

They have had the car all day today and called at 5pm to say their technician has tried everything, including disconnecting some parts one at a time.

However, it's still doing it.

They are keeping it overnight and are speaking to Milton Keynes again tomorrow for further input.

It's now being suggested that there may be an imbalance in the powerunit itself.

It drives fabulously and is smooth except for the tickover vibe.

It has a D6 Brabus chip fitted, but Brabus are saying the chip is inoperative at tickover. MB are aware of this modification and Brabus's response.

I'd welcome some technical advice/suggestions here guys.

Thanks,

Mice. Large mice, not running fast enough on the little wheels.

The timing chains are known to stretch too.

I know what Brabus say but just wondering did it do it before the chip or does it do it without the chip (if possible)?

I know what Brabus say but just wondering did it do it before the chip or does it do it without the chip (if possible)?

It was chipped from new at PDI, long before I bought it, but I'm going to ask them to disconnect it and see.

Last edited:
Has new engine software been installed ? that sometimes cures running issues.
Has the EML been on ?

Engine Management Light?

Engine Management Light?

Thanks,

No, nothing. It's silky smooth at 800rpm and only vibes at 700rpm.

I'll enquire about the engine software.

Last edited:
Having sat in John's car and felt it; does the fact it can be felt through his steering wheel indicate anything?

John has it gotten any worse?

Having sat in John's car and felt it; does the fact it can be felt through his steering wheel indicate anything?

John has it gotten any worse?

Hello G,

No, in fact it got better when the engine mounts were changed but seems to have slipped back to how it was when you sat in it.

Interestingly, I rang the previous owner and he said he was aware of the vibe after he sold his previous E320 CDI V6 to buy this one (in other words, he had a comparison) but he response was that no two engines are the same so he ignored it.

It is possible, of course, that all is well and he was right. I've not sat in enough others to call it a sample size.

However, the MB tech doesn't think it's right, but it's not a problem he's encountered either, so it's all a bit odd.

Did you find out what this was in the end?

Did you find out what this was in the end?

Thanks for asking.

The MB tech can't find anything wrong.

I sent him an email with the various suggestions from both forums including timing chains, idle trim values (whatever they are?), alternator pulley, compression test, injector test etc etc, and he tried or has already tried them all.

He's raised another "case note" with MB HQ and I'm waiting to hear what they say.

It's all a bit of a mystery.

It isn't connected to the Brabus chip, which I took as good news.

Vibration

John,

Did you get anywhere with this problem?

I have the same in my SL280 and have been trying to slove it for two years.

Have found a few others on various forums, particularly Benzworld, who also have the problem and have not been able to slove it despite replacing nealy everything. They all have V6 engines interstingly enough. Must be a clue in that for someone.

Patrick

Having sat in John's car and felt it;

What? :eek:

does the fact it can be felt through his steering wheel indicate anything?

Yeah. If it's that long, he's a lucky beggar. ;)

I had no idea that the two of you... :D

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom