Comfort or Sport CLS500

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MacCLS500

Car
CLS500
Have completed about 1000 miles in the CLS500 and in Comfort setting very nice ride no complains. Thought I would today try Sport mode and see what the drive is like. It seems a lot smoother and a better drive or is it a physiological thing SWMBO said she could not tell the difference between Comfort or sport. How do other members feel and what do they drive in for a say motorway trip or other road, seems to excellerate better, I suppose thats the sport mode. You may gather this is my first Mercedes so feeling my way.

I just changes the gearbox mode doesn't it?

Unless the CLS has a form of airmatic suspension.

I know on the old mans BMW you can set up three settings, comfort, sport and sport+.

For each of those settings you can then choose the damper settings and the chassis and accelerator settings, Sport+ chooses the firmest suspension, the highest rev gear change and a very twitchy throttle response.

I would guess the Merc allows similar? Or at least just change the throttle response and firms things up a bit as I can't see the point of it holding gears to the redline.
I bet Mercs settings are far more subtle and more usable than BMWs.

I know on the old mans BMW you can set up three settings, comfort, sport and sport+.

For each of those settings you can then choose the damper settings and the chassis and accelerator settings, Sport+ chooses the firmest suspension, the highest rev gear change and a very twitchy throttle response.

I would guess the Merc allows similar? Or at least just change the throttle response and firms things up a bit as I can't see the point of it holding gears to the redline.
I bet Mercs settings are far more subtle and more usable than BMWs.

Must admit that Sport mode seems slightly stiffer. I think I prefer the subtle change in Sport Mode, seems very positive compared to comfort. mode

I know on the S Class the firmest setting is nicer for 90% of the time, actually more relaxing as it is more planted, in fact the only time I reckon comfort works well is on really rough surfaces were you are going up a track at 10mph or something.

However it would always default to the soft setting which was so annoying.

Have completed about 1000 miles in the CLS500 and in Comfort setting very nice ride no complains. Thought I would today try Sport mode and see what the drive is like. It seems a lot smoother and a better drive or is it a physiological thing SWMBO said she could not tell the difference between Comfort or sport. How do other members feel and what do they drive in for a say motorway trip or other road, seems to excellerate better, I suppose thats the sport mode. You may gather this is my first Mercedes so feeling my way.

For the most part i use comfort setting but for motorway driving i like sport 1,i have used sport 11 but the only difference between that & sport 1 i can tell is the car is lowered by 15mm.My wife is a non driver(thank god:))& she can't tell the difference between the airmatic suspension settings.

Comfort for town and rutted roads.

Sport I for A roads, and brisk driving

Sport II for motorways, and more agile driving

Last edited:
In mine, which is also my first Merc, it has Normal/Sport I/Sport II which changes just the suspension.

C/S/M just changes the gear programmes.

C starts it off in 2nd and changes sooner.

I leave it on Sport II and S except that if you do 70mph/80mph, if the motorway has a choppy surface, you feel like you are sat in a baby bouncer so Normal is useful and does make a lot of difference.

Conversely, the car feels very planted at speed in Sport II whereas in the others, it feels like it might lift off.

I thought all this suspensionage functionality would be wasted but I've used the car lift and all the various settings quite a lot.

I also have airmatic inmy E class , I find the sport 1 setting to be the best . I think the cars to soft on comfort and on sport 2 its like a roller skate .

mine is lowered all round by 1.5 inches, so its planted whatever setting the airmatic is in, i now mostly use the comfort. I've had the gearbox setting in S since i had it and only just tried C yesterday. Its better for heavy traffic, but i'll be putting it back in S me thinks.

6 months on and i'm still in love....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom