Coming Home

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

EdmundIJones

Car
Mercedes C270 CDi
Hello,

I've been a member since 2009 and I started off with a W203 2.7CDi for the family. From picking the car up I loved it, not the ride or power but the power delivery got me. Unfortunately in 2011 somebody drove into the side of it while my wife was driving along and then drove off without stopping. The Police weren't interested which I found shocking but from that point my wife was not too happy so I bought her a Volvo XC90 to feel safe in and I drove the W203 for a year to and from the station every day, then on longer trips to London each day. At about 180K miles and a lack of love, she finally decided she didn't want to do long journeys any more and there was some sort of fuel pressure switch problem which was going to cost me an arm and a leg to fix. So, I sold it on to a chap at work for £700, who drove it for another two years and was very happy (I've since heard he sold it on for £300!))

In the meantime after selling the Mercedes I picked up a cheap Peugeot 206cc and a BMW 330ci, which I converted to LPG as I do 30K miles a year. I've still got the BMW but that's starting to show signs that it is going to get costly soon so I'm starting to look at alternatives. I love the drive and the lovely inline 6 engine of the BMW 330 and as I do a lot of motorway miles I want a 6 cylinder car again.

As summer is approaching I decided I wanted a convertible so immediately looked at the BMW Z3/Z4 and SLK - however the wife insists that while the children are young we need 4 seats in our second car (I disagree). Either way, I'm outvoted so I'm looking for a 4 seater convertible with a 6 cylinder engine. I'm not looking to spent a lot, just £4-7K. The options appear to be BMW 330 Cab, Volvo V70 Convertible, Mercedes A209 and Audi A4 (not sure about engines though).

I know this debate has already started on other threads but I've made my mind up that there are quite a few £5-6K Mercedes A209's around. My father in-law has a CLK coupe (209). So, I've made my choice and I'm starting the search for a Mercedes A209 320 petrol engine. I want Command, I want heated seats and ideally dark blue with a light interior, automatic obviously and around 2004-2005. I know the 2005 versions had an updated interior which seems to be the climate controls mainly. I watched a chap on Youtube update these and it looks simple enough.

I like to tinker with my cars so I have a few questions to get me started:

1. Are there any weaknesses with the 320 petrol engine I need to be aware of?
2. Are there any inherent things to look out for when buying a A209 other than the normal checking things work (roof a few things) and rust. anything else I should know?
3. I know dealers use Star for diagnostics but is there a cheap knock off version or device to use dedicated to Mercedes?

I'm going to get it LPG converted so it should be economical on my 200 daily commute, fun in the sun and generally a comfy place to be.

Ed

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom