Command - Adding Aux for Ipod. w203 pre

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dward

Car
W203 270CDI Avantgarde
My Pre facelift W203 had Command navigation fitted.

How do I connect my ipod to it? I know I wont be able to control it via the button or charge it, I just want to listen to it!

I have done a search but nothing really helped.

Thanks

If the car came from the factory with COMAND fitted, it very likely has a 3.5mm jack socket in the glovebox - look for it on the side wall of the glovebox on the side of the passenger door, towards the top.

You just need a jack lead, with a 3.5mm jack plug on each end - one plugs into the earphone socket on your iPod, the other end into the jack socket in your glovebox. You can get posh ones, or a cheapie from ebay or Maplin would do the job.

As you suggest, you won't be able to control the iPod using COMAND, but it works for me.

Volume may be a touch limited. Set the iPOD volume to maximum and adjust using your COMAND volume.

There's also a feature in settings menu on your iPOD which restricts volume to protect ear drums, which you can disable for playing through your COMAND unit - just be careful when using it with earphones!!

Hi, just to add my experience. I have found that COMMAND volume has to be set higher for iPOD than CD/Radio and when TP comes through it is very loud. So, i tend to turn off TP when using iPOD. Hope this helps.

IIRC, just turn the volume down when a TP announcement activates - or SAT NAV directions - and it should reduce the volume for subsequent alerts.

Nothing you can do to stop deafening yourself when you switch sources to radio or CD though, except turn volume down before you do it!!

Just another thought, if it's still not loud enough, again in iPOD settings disable the feature which equalises volume across all tracks. Made a huge difference one mine - seems that on most tracks the volume is adjusted down to the volume of the weakest.

There is also a fix in itunes. We recieved this from the accessory bod at MK.

IPOD VOLUME CONCERNS

If you have customers using an ipod in their cars and they complain that the volume levels are all over the place or too low; the reason for this could be that not all recordings are made at the same level of volume. The solution is a setting to adjust the volumes in there iTunes account via a PC.
The following procedure can help to fix this.
In iTunes

1: Select all music (and also do this in future for new albums)

2: Right click

3: Select 'Get Info'

4: Adjust the volume adjustment slider to max, This will adjust all the music recording volumes together.

5: Re sync iPod.

If its a retrofitted COMAND then you can follow the instructions in my COMAND Retrofit document on www.mercupgrades.com - which means buying the 3.5mm to intermediate lead, and cutting off the plug changing the pins and connecting to the C2 connector - or you can buy the kit designed for that from comandonline which consists of the above lead plus the intermediate connector -> C2 connector lead, so no cutting/soldering, just a relatively easy fit

Cheers

R

Thanks everyone - Its a retrofit command so there is no socket in the glove compartment.

Think i will just purchase the kit from command online and install that.

Cheers for the Ipod advice.

There is a "Knock out" on the left hand side of glove box (doorside) to fit the Aux Socket.....You need to examine the area carefully to find it.

Joe

I'm running my ipod on the S class through the socket in the glovebox with a simple lead to the earphone socket.

I've seen leads which fit the ipod specifically and cliponto the player using all the sockets and connectors on the ipod. Will this charge as well?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom