Command alternative

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

handiandi

Car
E280 CDi Avantgarde (7G tip)
Hi
I am in the process of buying a 2004 E320 but after carefully studying the dealers pictures it appears that the car I out a deposit down on has a Vigo head unit (vigoshop) rather than a Command NTG1 unit. Firstly, is this an issue and secondly does anyone have any experience, good or bad, of the Vigo unit please? I can still get out of the deal due to false advertising, as it was advertised as having a command unit and at first glance it looks like one, but given the vehicle is also low mileage its a bit of a quandary.
Thanks
Andy

A lot of these aftermarket units are very inferior. My parents acquired one in exactly your circumstances. They ended up ditching it and putting a Audio 20 back in instead.

It's certainly not worth the same as the same car with Comand, even if in theory the features are better.

Without a doubt, Comand has the best integration. However.
It is now eleven years old. Does it have phone prewire? if it does, do you have a docking unit or BT adaptor? Are the maps up to date? Can they even be updated? Do you want to stream music from your phone (can be done, but can also be expensive.

Being pragmatic, this may actually be a better solution than an eleven year old Comand unit.
Certainly not a deal killer on an eleven year old car imho.

Thanks guys. That's the very point I am struggling with, it might be better, it might not be, it's down to the quality of the aftermarket unit and I can not find any reviews on line of that particular unit. So in theory it might be better than the original and in theory works with the steering wheel controls and has other things that could be integrated into it like a reversing camera. However, they are all theoretical. You see I suspect that the vehicle never had a Command unit fitted, therefore it wouldn't just be a head unit swap it would also require the other parts that make up the Command system, hence could be expensive to revert, or have I misunderstood how the NTG1 is made up?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom