COMMAND amnesia - SH-Graphic System

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SRoberts_

Recently my COMMAND unit stopped working :mad:, well sort of.

I still get CD audio (from single slot and also boot autochanger), and I get radio, and steering wheel controls still function correctly :confused:

But my COMMAND screen will only display a message which reads as follows;

CD-ROM Software-Download
-----------------------------------------
- SH-Graphic System -

Waiting for CD...
------------------------------------------

(attached photo)

I then started experiencing flat battery syndrome (I've read all the other forum posts about COMMAND 300ma battery drain with Nav CD left in problems) :eek:

I put it into the dealer who suggested it needed probably needed a firmware update, but if they did this, the TeleAtlas 1999 GB navigation CDROM I have would not work and I would also need to buy a new CDROM. :eek:

With no other option at the time (I hadn't discovered the wonders of this excellent forum at that point !) I agreed for them to proceed with this work.

However they rang me to say the firmware upgrade either 'failed' or 'did not work', I can't recall the exact comment, but bottom line was they quoted me £mucho money for a like for like replacement, I declined and asked them to pull the fuse on the COMMAND.

Does anyone know what the COMMAND unit requires. :confused:

It is obviously needing some form of update/re-initialisation, which the TeleAtlas CDROM can't perform (I assume the base O/S of the COMMAND unit has been lost)

I'm still hopeful that my COMMAND unit is recoverable. :(

I've contacted Steve @ MBenzNL for advice :rock: , but thought I'd throw it open to the forum in case anyone else here has experience of this.

I will be getting more information from the MB technician that worked on my car tomorrow so keep posted for more info.

Attachments

• DSC00013.JPG
    DSC00013.JPG
    60 KB · Views: 99
It's a monster mobile phone add-on (has a speaker on the passenger side) and Nokia phone attachement cable. Not sure if it's a MB fit, or some custom retro fit.

Either way, it was in the car when I purchased it, sadly the phone and the cradle that sits on the velcro pad you can see wasn't in the car :(

I may either rip it out or try and see if I can get a cable to hookup my current Sony Ericsson....

Reading other forum posts has given me the bug to do some modding re: TV/Phone

I would start by getting a 2004 GB CD Rom - yours is from 1999 :crazy:

Take it from there, and see if they combination of MB and Teleatlas upgrade will fix it.

I have an 03/04 Teleatlas GB disk for sale at the mo. Where are you based? We could maybe try it and see if it works? Otherwise, don't like the look of that error msg - reminds me of something I saw on a possibly faulty COMAND once - or maybe something from the diagnostics service menu.

See what MB say, and let us know.

S.

I'm in Reading, Berkshire.

Yes the TeleAtlas CD is old, I have successfully been using a newer copy for over a year, but it's not 'official', say no more. ;)

Just an afterthought, but does anyone have a copy of the Mercedes COMMAND firmware update CDROM, or know where I can get a copy. :rolleyes: MY0001 ?

I remember reading somewhere you have to apply it twice for it to take, or something daft like that. :confused:

Last edited:
Just spoken to MB stealership, they were not very helpful, all they had to say was that they attempted a 'firmware' update CD, it didn't do anything so they gave up.

Couldn't tell me what the screen was asking for, so I'm still no clearer. I'm going to ring MB customer services to see if I can find someone who knows what they're talking about when it comes to COMMAND units.

More information

Further to my last post, I've found a forum where someone else seems to have had the same messages as me;

http://navi-forum.net/board/viewtopic.php?t=8663

However I don't understand (german ?) and the Google translation is not that good, but reading through the translation of this page and other pages that they refer to, it would seem that the COMMAND unit has been powered off during an update (but it's never had anything other than a TeleAtlas CDROM inserted !)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom