Command and MP3 ID Tags/filenames

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Igurisu

Car
911 Turbo
Still learning my way around some of the features, I did read the book and search the forums before asking, honest! My command is NGT2.0 in the CLK.

I've burnt an MP3 CD and put it in the CD changer to see how comand handles the tags/filenames/art.

I burnt a few albums in their own folders and left one image for the album front cover. The folder structure I used was to put each album in the root with the album title being the folder name, so I have 8 folders in my root directory.

It seems that command can't see/use the cover images at all (maybe that was wishful thinking). My main issue is that it doesn't recognise the folders, it just shows me all the tracks as though they were single tracks in the root directory. Also, the filename/tag seems to be limited to eight characters with command filling in the "_" symbol for spaces (I know this is good computer practice).

My questions are,

1) Is what I see as good as it gets, or is there any way to make command see the album folders?

2) Will it treat music on an MP3 player through the auxillary the same way?

On the searches I did I found quite a few mentions saying that cover art and all images should be removed as the filetypes throw command, and also that all ID3 tags should be removed. I can't believe that command is so primitive.

Thanks in advance.

I wrote up my experience but it differs to yours as the W211 which can play MP3s, can use subfolders (to one level) and has more than 8 characters.

However, it isn't as good as it could be and I do some prep to get it working well.

I understand from my research that if yours is not reading one level of folders and treating them as albums, you are limited to any files it finds in one big list.

I think it is as good as it gets so you might need to consider a portable device, which it will have it's own display so wont matter what COMAND does, or rename your files and have them all in the root.

For example, if you have the song 'Queen - Fat Bottomed Girls', you could rename that to:

QGH-FBG

It surprises me just how basic the functionality is.

Thanks John, it does seem basic. I'll try a few more things today with the mp3 player, its easier than keep burning CD's.

Yes, that's why I am prepared to live with the limited ability.

All my music collection fits on 4 DVDs which I can leave in the glovebox, and I can then swap the discs every couple of months or so.

No charging / no device to put anywhere / no sync'ing to be done etc. and compared to the tens of CDs I had before, it's great.

If you use 700MB CDs, you will fit on a lot of MP3s. Might be worth double-checking if yours is a DVD though (it will be single side DVD regardless and never use these)...

To be honest, its so much easier to add an ipod and ipod interface. I just bring my ipod classic in to my laptop once in a while and update with itunes. I had 6 months of using cds and adding cdtext to get track names to display on my comand in my W209.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom