COMMAND APS - DVD, SATNAV and VIdeo Out Q?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rhjcamp

Car
R-Class, & R171
Hi,
First off this site is a fantatsic mine of information. I have discovered that my 2007, R Class Comand APS unit will NOT play DVD's. Damn.

As this seems a relatively common question can I suggest that the moderator makes this answer sticky at the top, or is there a Common Question section I can't find? Here is an excellent post that killed my hopes

http://www.mbclub.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=33716&highlight=command+aps+dvd

and this may relieve some of the pressure off of Alfie and Richard!

So my questions are:

Full Post Codes. I currently can only enter the first part of a post code. The DVD disk says version 4, the car is an 07 plate.

Can I upgrade to allow the full post code?

IPOD Integration. I Currently have a CD Changer, and would like to add IPOD integration. Looking at Commandonline web site, it appears I can get

http://www.comandonline.co.uk/product.php?productid=16142&cat=249&page=1

IPOD Kit.

Will this allow me to keep the CD-Changer?

(My Car is pre-wired with a bluetooth cradle, so no need to enable the phone with star I believe?)

DVD Input into COMAND APS. Reading the forums it appears that I can (I DO NOT WANT THIS TO WORK WHILE IN MOTION) but I am confused as to what I would need. It appears that I might need the TV Tuner which sounds like a non-starter in terms of time and expense, or something from NAVTV ( I would prefer to use genunie Merc stuff TBH) as the Video button only works if you connect up CANBUS/MOST rather than just audio and video source.

So , can I connect a DVD player to the Video IN on my Comand, and if so any ideas where I can buy this? (It's not on the command online site...)

Sorry for the long post!

Thx in advance.

Rob.

Hi
Some replies for you

The A/B/W203-C/CLK/ML/GL/R class DVD comand units can not play DVDs.
The system with seperate navigation processor can. (E, CLS, SLK etc)
It looks like MY2009 cars (from June 08) will have the new system like the new C class, so may be able to

> Can I upgrade to allow the full post code?
The map disks don't support full post codes. V9 is current version, V4 does not give TMC (traffic redirection), it was included from V6.<something> - and is a good reason to upgrade - but wait a bit, because you don't want to upgrade to V8 and V9 is on hold as it is missing MB dealer locations and some streets in some towns from the index!

> IPOD Kit.
> Will this allow me to keep the CD-Changer?

Yes, iPod is controlled via steering wheel controls and track info is shown in the cluster display not the COMAND display. You turn it on by selecting the AUX input from the Audio menu.

>(My Car is pre-wired with a bluetooth cradle, so no need to enable the >phone with star I believe?)
Also correct. In fact, we have seen some new cars come through with the TEL menu enabled in the cluster even though car has no phone system - which means iPod install is quicker. (no Star diagnosis session needed)

>DVD Input into COMAND APS. Reading the forums it appears that I can (I
You need to check if your Comand even has the video inputs - more and more of the cars are coming through without them if the car is not supplied or available with TV or reversing camera.
You do have to connect a TV tuner (unless someone has made a device like there is for the old system that pretends to be TV tuner) that gets you the AUX inputs for composite video
(BTW, your R class is very likely to have the inputs on the COMAND)

Hope that helps
Richard

Thank you!

The unit has a video button on the front, if not I guess I will have to take it out and look round the back. What connection am I looking for?

On the TV tuner kit, how much are we talking? I saw some posts talking about stripping out the interior of the car and had lining and there are no kits on the mercupgrades site?

I'll wait for the v9 disk before I upgrade. Give me a shout when you get some in and I'll get them from your site.

So the Merc IPOD integration is bit of a kludge but it will do. I'll buy the kit from mercupgrades and fit it this weekend!

Thx
Rob.

WOW! Okay, I quit here. Daughter gets a simple standalone DVD in the back!

Thanks for the quick replies all!

Rob.

>The unit has a video button on the front, if not I guess I will have to take it >out and look round the back. What connection am I looking for?

green fakra (coax) connection

>On the TV tuner kit, how much are we talking? I saw some posts talking >about stripping out the interior of the car and had lining and there are no
A lot ! The official digital tuner is north of £1000, plus wiirng., plus antenna amps (to use the antenna in the rear side quarterlights and the back window)
But i;m sure there will be a 'multimedia adapter' appearing sometime, like there is for comand 2.0

>I'll wait for the v9 disk before I upgrade. Give me a shout when you get >some in and I'll get them from your site.
Ok (btw, its comandonline.co.uk - which started because Alfie at comand.co.uk and me at mercupgrades.com decided that MB UK pricing was too high over a beer) (parts and retrofit costs)

>So the Merc IPOD integration is bit of a kludge but it will do.
Yup, if you buy the ipod holding cradle, you can put it in the corner (long side against rear wall) of glovebox beneath CDC and the CDC can still drop down nicely)

R

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom