Command DVD player motion disable?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

7om

Car
CLS55
Hello,

I have a CLS55 with the command sat nav and DVD player. When I'm driving it has a safety feature that pops up blocking the image on screen, you just get the audio. How do I disable this safety feature (which wire do I cut) as I don't have rear screens and my passengers can't watch a movie.

I do not watch the TV whilst driving but I'd like to have it working for passengers.

Cheers,

Tom

Its illegal and very distracting. Mine was disabled by previous owner, its virtually impossible not to look down while driving wouldn't recommend it.

Thanks for the info, I appreciate it could be distracting but I've had screens in my cars for years and simply ignore it. It's purely for my passengers. So on my 2006 CLS, it appears I need a Star technician to disable it for me. I'll have a look online today.

Thanks

Also, keep in mind that your insurer might consider this to be an undeclared modification.

Admittedly this will only come to light if you are ever involved in a serious crash, but the risk there.

Good luck with whatever you choose to do.

Also, keep in mind that your insurer might consider this to be an undeclared modification.

Admittedly this will only come to light if you are ever involved in a serious crash, but the risk there.

Good luck with whatever you choose to do.

it will void any claim made and could even void your insurance wether active or not.

Construction and Use Regulations

For completeness, here is the appropriate section from 'The Road Vehicles (Construction and Use) Regulations 1986':

"PART IV Section F Avoidance of Danger
Regulation 109: Television sets

109.—(1) No person shall drive, or cause or permit to be driven, a motor vehicle on a road, if the driver is in such a position as to be able to see, whether directly or by reflection, a television receiving apparatus or other cinematographic apparatus used to display anything other than information—

(a) about the state of the vehicle or its equipment;

(b) about the location of the vehicle and the road on which it is located;

(c) to assist the driver to see the road adjacent to the vehicle; or

(d) to assist the driver to reach his destination.

(2) In this regulation “television receiving apparatus” means any cathode ray tube carried on a vehicle and on which there can be displayed an image derived from a television broadcast, a recording or a camera or computer."

As the saying goes IANAL, and it’s not clear to me whether it is illegal to be in possession of a motor vehicle which has the latent ability to breach the C&U Regs, or whether the offence is committed only once one actually drives said vehicle with the cinematographic apparatus switched on.

I also assume that the rather quaint "cathode ray tube" has been/will soon be replaced by some other term more fitting with this century.

At least the OP can now relax safe in the knowledge of which laws he is/maybe breaching.

Last edited:
As the saying goes IANAL, and it’s not clear to me whether it is illegal to be in possession of a motor vehicle which has the latent ability to breach the C&U Regs, or whether the offence is committed only once one actually drives said vehicle with the cinematographic apparatus switched on.

The first one.

The first one.

Not trying to start a war, but can you quote some case law or precedent for that statement?

My reason for asking is that I think there are analogies where simply being in possession of a vehicle which could break C&U Regs is not an offence, but it is the act of doing which causes an offence to be committed i.e. when the provisions of The Road Traffic Act apply.

The Road Traffic Act 1988 says
"1988 c. 52 Part II General regulation of construction, use etc.Section 42

Breach of other construction and use requirements.

A person who—

(a)contravenes or fails to comply with any construction or use requirement other than one within section 41A(a) or 41B(1)(a) [F2or 41D] of this Act, or

(b)uses on a road a motor vehicle or trailer which does not comply with such a requirement, or causes or permits a motor vehicle or trailer to be so used,

is guilty of an offence"

Last edited:
You've got me thinking now…..quite some time later…..

I believe you are correct and I responded hastily. Sorry for that. The more I am thinking, the more I remembering (more's the pity because I am retired) but this example was one of those weird ones whereby it is a C&U contravention but you would have to be caught using or proved to be using for the RTA punishments to kick in.
The latter is the one I have done on a few occasions following very serious collisions.

Edit: And now I step back (metaphorically speaking) and look at the bigger picture rather than try to recollect the minutia of regulations, of course you are right, hence all the readily available hacks and work arounds. :doh:

Last edited:
Albeit off at somewhat of a tangent, but I think this is analogous to some of those old jokes which had a punchline "and you're equipped to be a prostitute, but you're not one, are you?".
There was also an old quote about being equipped to commit rape, where simply being in possession of the relevant tool is not in itself an offence... IYSWIM.

Albeit off at somewhat of a tangent, but I think this is analogous to some of those old jokes which had a punchline "and you're equipped to be a prostitute, but you're not one, are you?".
There was also an old quote about being equipped to commit rape, where simply being in possession of the relevant tool is not in itself an offence... IYSWIM.

But when it comes to burglary... there is an offence of "going equipped" seems to me there is no consistency in the law, we'll all be arrested for thinking next :crazy:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom