Command DVD

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

nigel cross

MB Enthusiast
Car
W164 ML350 Audi S4
Getting a new toy in the family, coming with a dvd command.
Question is :- does the dvd load on to a hard disc and then is removed or does it stay inside the command?

It would help if you stated which model Car/Year and Comand type?

2009 ml350cdi sport command type is ??? but shows on options as a :- 512
command 6 disc cd/dvd changer HDD map navigation 4 GB music registerwith DAB Tuner

Comand unit (spelt with one M) is uploaded with Map Data via the dealer interface.

The DVD is nothing to do with it.

Older units with a DVD drive in the boot contained permanent discs but yours in on an inbuilt solid state drive unit I believe.

Thanks, I was just wondering, as when I go to pick it up should there be a CD/DVD for me to keep incase I have to download the maps etc.

There may or may not be a map data DVD with the car when you get it. As long as the Comand unit has the map data in it, you won't need the disk. If you want to update the maps, you can just buy the disks from your dealer and do it yourself. Alternatively, you can ask the dealer to do it, but they'll almost certainly charge you labour for doing it. Occasionally, the newer map data will also require the Comand firmware to be updated and this is a dealer only job as the car has to be connected to STAR to do it. Dealers sometimes shy away from doing this, because it can tie up their diagnostic system for several hours.

Your car will have Comand NTG2.5. The maps are stored on the hard disk. They are updated by buying map updates which come on 2 DVDs that get copied to the hard disk so no they dont need to remain in the DVD drive.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom