Command has lost it!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

lh49

Car
C43 Coupe W205
Today I started up my W203 C-class ('56) and both the on-board computer and command seemingly started up normally (they both came on with the usual info, the radio works etc). However, they no longer talk to each other. The buttons on the steering wheel dont do anything for command (volume radio etc). The Audio section on the on-board computer just says "--------", as does the nav (and navigation on command works, but it cant find a GPS signal, so its pretty useless). The ipod integration also doesnt work, clearly the same problem.

I havent done anything, other than not drive it for a week... Does anyone know why this would happen, or importantly, a fix? Should i disconnect the battery for a bit?

Thanks!

Id pull the fuse for the COMAND , wait 20 seconds and re-insert it.

The cluster is just reading from the car's network so the fact that its doing other functions properly means its probably not that end that is not communicating (although it is technically possible it has forgotten some configuration).

Does the radio turn on/off with the ignition ? Again, same connection used for that function as with talking to/from the instrument cluster / steering wheel controls

Cheers

Richard

i'll try the fuse thing tonight, thanks for the advice.

As for the radio, nope. Actually what happens is you always have to switch command on manually. then, even while driving, after a while a box pops up and says "please turn the ignition on or command will go to sleep in 3 minutes", which true to its word it does.

Hoping the fuse trick works......

Ok, so the radio is not talking on the car's network (CANbus). Lets see what the fuse thing does.

Richard

I had the exact same issues on my w211. If pulling the fuse docent do the trick, disconnect the battery. I'm sure it is the battery running low causing the command to malfunction.

I had the exact same issues on my w211. If pulling the fuse docent do the trick, disconnect the battery. I'm sure it is the battery running low causing the command to malfunction.

...be careful of doing that in a W203 - disconnecting the battery seems to cause all sorts of issues and there are loads of reports of one of the SAMs (signal acquisition modules) blowing on re-connect.

Thanks all - pulled the fuse, depressingly didn't fix it. Was definitely the right fuse for command.

Given the different opinions on pulling off the battery, perhaps my best bet is to take it to our local indie mercedes garage ... unless anyone has any other final wisdom.

thanks everyone for help, am desperately hoping this wont end in needing to buy and install a new command :(

did you ever manage to solve this problem? its currently happening to me on a w203 coupe i have pulled the comand fuse out (number 64), no luck and have heard of all the stories about disconnecting the battery so id rather not... or does anyone else have any other ideas??

yeah, sorry i meant to update the thread. so they had it in for days trying to work out what the problem was, and in the end it was the ipod kit. for some reason that was the problem, they replaced it with a new kit and everything's back working perfectly.

my kit was only 18 months old, but i guess when its gone its gone.

was a few hundred quid with time, the kit and fitting, but given i was facing £2500+vat for a new command, was quite ok with that in the end!

good luck.

thanks for the reply.. I dont have the ipod kit so Im not sure what my problem could be,?dont really want to go to the dealer, only as a last resort

Hi LH49

I have similar problems on my W203 - radio turns on /off intermittently.

I also have an ipod kit. Did the mechanic confirm what was wrong with the kit?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom