Command ..... how does it work?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fatboab

Hello, I'm new around here but finding the site very informative as after 9 years of owning B*W's it is time for a change as I think they have lost the plot with styling - look at the new 7 & 5 series!

Anyway, I'm thinking about changing to a 270CD ML and am interested in the Command system however my local dealer does not have any cars in stock with this system to let me see. I am also not convinced that they know a lot about how it works other than 'its a sat-nav system!

Could anybody please give me a brief description of what it can do and how easy is it to work - eg can you just type in a Postcode and let it take you there or do you type in an address. Does it speak to you as well as show maps on the little screen?

Can it do any other tricks for me (!) - I am not getting the telephone prep but am considering a Bose system.

Regards

hi, we have a ml270 cdi and it also has the comand, it's a good system. but not great. It it s sat nav systems with both arrow and map directions. It is also a single cd player (cant have nav and cd at the same time unless you get a cd changer) as well as a radio.

Other functions you can have are the control for the phone so you can dial using the comand key pad instead of the phone, you can also connect tv and dvd players (not from the factory)

If you want comand i would get the phone option and the cd changer option, they work great with the comand system.

Not convinced with bose though, we had it in a earlier Ml and deleted as a option on the present one.

Finally you can do postcodes but only the first 4 digits, ie for a postcode of say Rg7 4Ty you would be able to enter rg7 then select the street. Usefull in places where a road spand say 2or 3 postcodes.

Hope this helps

cheers

Kenny

Thanks Kenny, I have learned more from your reply than my local stealership could tell me!

Could you let me know please if Command also gives directions vocally as well?

Disappointed to hear your views on the Bose system as I kinda had my heart settled on that - I take you did not notice a great deal of difference between the Bose system and the standard system to justify the extra £400?

I would go for the 6 CD player in the boot but not the phone connection as I do not use a mobile phone enough to justify the expense.

Thanks again

Hi, just thought I would add my 5 cents worth.

I have a CLK and have had Comand retro-fitted. I am really happy with the system as a sat nav unit and yes, it does speak the directions for you as well as changing the display to show the junction information (e.g. a roundabout with a countdown bar for the distance and an orange line for where you should exit). All directions are well announced and very accurate.

If the vehicle is new then I would expect you would also get these direction signs appear on your dash display by the speedo / tacho although I haven't seen the ML version I know this is how it looks on the newer CLK (someone will correct me if I am wrong about this on the ML I am sure).

I have the fibre optic factory fitted 6 disk cd changer connected to the Comand unit and this works very well giving me 6 music CD's to enjoy and allowing me to leave the navigation CD in the single slot in the Comand unit.

As mine was retro-fit I didn't get the telephone option and wouldn't go to all the trouble now as it is a lot of work I believe. I also was not interested in the TV option as I don't see myself watching TV in the outside lane of the M3 and I would rather listen to music in any case.

If you are local to me - I live in Southampton - I would be pleased to meet with you somewhere and show you the system working.

By the way, my local dealership told me that it was catagorically impossible to retro-fit Comand in my car and that even their most experienced technician would not attempt it. I had Steve (MBenzNL) fit it for me in about one hour outside Koolvin's house in the twilight of an evening in August! They couldn't believe it when I last took it in :devil:

I say if you can, get Comand and the 6 CD changer, I will when I get my next Mercedes.

All the best

Guy

PS have a look in the Members Gallery - I have posted some Comand pictures. There are also some in the Electronics forum here posted by "Flyer".

Guy

hi as gizmo said it does give vocal directions. The Ml does not have the display in the instrument cluster ala CLK / C Class so you only get the info on the comand.

On the bose side, i actually found it too boomy, but i know others think it is great!!!

As far as other options go, i think the Cd changer is a must (£950 to have retrofited by a dealer they quote 5 hours labour!!!!) as well as parktronic.

I should have tv installed by thursday!!!

cheers

Kenny:D

Not sure if this would be any use to you. Same size as command. A mate of my dad works for honda and these are standard in the top of the range crv, some people are upgrading when buying the new cars to the new touch screen model with voice recognition, so hes getting these at cost basically. Its brand new (been installed at factory but never used) He had three and we sold two on ebay (one went for £770, and the other £580 he made £80 on that one but the dealer charges £1200 + vat to put one in lower model crvs,just goes to show how much main dealers make on parts and options) going to put the last one on next week, Ive seen them fitted in a clk and a Mondeo !! Just a standard iso plug + speed pulse to fit. Uses dvd for nav (uk and europe on one disk)full screen and voice commands and has two slots so cd can be played whilst using nav,also has tuner. Maybe a cheaper option than command. £610 inc P+P.
Just thought id try you lot before going on ebay.
Sorry if this is in wrong forum.
screen+011.jpg

Thanks for your comments lads,

Guy - thanks for your kind offer but I live a wee bit away from Southhampton - Central Scotland!. A 6 CD player from the optional extra list is on the 'wish list'.

Kenny - Parktronic is a 'must have' as I have had it on our last 2 cars and couldn't do without it now!

Pepe - thanks for your offer but as it will be a new ML it will have to be the 'real mcoy'

The stealership offered a paint protection system called Supagard at £250 but don't think I'll be taking this up. I saw their workmanship applying this product to a new MB last week and was not impressed. It had obviously been applied over the top of stickers that had been on the paintwork and subsequently removed as the outline of the sticker could clearly be seen by white residue edge lines.

Originally posted by fatboab
it will have to be the 'real mcoy'
You could save yourself a few hundred, get the optical 6-disc changer, leave comand off the list and retro-fit the comand unit later. Much cheaper that way :)

Originally posted by fatboab

The stealership offered a paint protection system called Supagard at £250 but don't think I'll be taking this up. I saw their workmanship applying this product to a new MB last week and was not impressed. It had obviously been applied over the top of stickers that had been on the paintwork and subsequently removed as the outline of the sticker could clearly be seen by white residue edge lines.

Agreed on the paint protection. I bought my car from Vardy Glasgow, and had the Diamond Brite process done. Whilst there was no residues left it wasn't even close to the results left by Zymol (and probably other waxes). About £300 I think I paid. Waste of money IMO. Which dealership were you at if you don't mind saying?

One aspect that Comand has that no one has mentioned is the auxilary socket option that allows a walkman, MD or iPod to be added via the little minijack socket adding even more flexability to Comand!

Originally posted by simonl
Which dealership were you at if you don't mind saying?

The one in Auld Reekie - W*s*e*n had applied it.

I was thinking along the same lines as yourself - splash out on some Zymol and doing it myself.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom