Command in an ML430

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jimmy

MB Enthusiast
Car
Discovery 3 TDV6, Discovery 300TDi - Plaything!
I have managed to persuade a friend to buy a 1999 ML430 Carlson. It looks the dogs danglies but is missing a Command install which he wants me to sort out for him.

Does anybody know if this one will fit a 1999 ML?

The vehicle already has a CD-changer, would it be compatible with the Command unit?

Thanks.

That one will fit physically, but appears to be the 210 CANBUS 2.0 version. I think you are better with a 163 version for the ML.

I think both will work, but some functionality will be limited on the CANBUS one, such as night illumination, etc.

I'm sure somebody will correct me if I'm wrong.

S.

It will work, and to get around the can bus functionality issue, you would need to buy a CANBUS ADAPTER Also, the mounting fixings are totally different. so you would need adapter clips as well to suit the ML.

The extra parts are available from the on line shop of MEGACOMM

ML CANBUS 159 Euros and

.mounting clips 17.50 euros

There are original ML comands available (A163 820 3689) on ebay from time to time but they are about £1,000 or so.

The CANBUS adapter enables the comand button & screen illumination to work in conjunction with the ML's dash lighting and also prevents the 210 comand from switching itself off after 40 mins as it expects these signlas over the CANBUS which the ML dos not have at the head unit.

I used the above combination on my wifes 2000 ML 270 Cdi.

Is your friends ML a facelift model?? ie with indicators in the door mirrors? if not you may have a bit of extra work to find a speed pulse - I think forum member Hash may know someone who has done this.

Hope this helps

hi jimmy my brother has a 99 ml and i put a comand in his, it was a 163 Ml comand not a e Class one.

The only 2 issues you will have (if you have a 163 comand) is the roof mount aerial connection in the back of comand is a fme type not the standard HRS connector. You can by these adapters from megacomm (the site steve refrenced) This is only on <2000.5 model year cars

The second issue is the famous speed pulse, this is a right pain. You can use the oem version and buy the merc canbus adapter that then puts a speed signal on pin 1 of the radio harness as it should be.

But we found it was easier to install the comand, then go to the local car hifi shop and they tapped a pulse from the dash cluster but would not tell us how. I suspose we could take out the cluster and have a look (bit lazy). This is also on <2000.5

They charged 80 quid

E class one's work fine with the can bus adpater and clips, thats what we have in the wifes ML.

Hope this helps

cheers

Kenny (aka Hash)

Thanks guys,

The ML is a 99 model but he cant remember seeing the blinkers in the wing mirrors so it must be a pre-facelift model.

I think an email to Steve MBenzNL might be next.:)

OK, I have spotted another Command on Ebay with the following part number: A163 820 1489

Ebay Link

Would this be a better bet for my mate with a 1999 ML?

What else would he need? Would we still need a canbus adaptor and fitting clips?

Anybody know of any other sources for Command units? Cant get a reply from Steve.

That unit has the same part number as mine, it should work without any problems. No canbus adapter required, you might need to get some fitting clips for it if they're not still on it.

Worst pic ever on the auction though! ;)

Damn, me and my mate got outbid on that Command above.

None of you was it??:confused:

Doh!!

Just clicked who it was!!

Originally posted by Koolvin
why dont you get the comand of Steve K ?

£££ is the basic answer!:D

We thought we would have a bargain off ebay but something happened to his phone line just at the last minute (somebody picked up the phone!)

So I guess we will be contacting Steve again next week.

Originally posted by jimmy
£££ is the basic answer!:D
One of the disadvanteges of running a legitimate business and having to pay taxes and wanting to sell part with warranty instead of with NO warranty at all...

greetingz,

Originally posted by MBenzNL
One of the disadvanteges of running a legitimate business and having to pay taxes and wanting to sell part with warranty instead of with NO warranty at all...

greetingz,

I agree, I have been telling my friend from day one to get the Command from you, but when he saw one on Ebay he thought it was worth a shot.

Don't worry I am sure you will be hearing from us this week.:)

Originally posted by MBenzNL

greetingz,

Steve. . . thanks for your very helpful advice this morning and probably saving me a fortune !

Warranty is good !!

S.

Originally posted by sym
Steve. . . thanks for your very helpful advice this morning and probably saving me a fortune
No problem at all...and your comand will probably arrive tomorow morning - it is on it's way...

greetingz,

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom