Command in ML430 (99) or New DVD System

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

joules88

Hi all,

New to the forum and have done a quick search with no luck pin-pointing a command (163) install on a 1999 ML. I wanted to know -

If I buy a 163 Command model will this run my Merc 6 Disk CD
Will I need a cradle or will it fit as is
Where will I get the antenna and leads
Do I need a speed sensor and if so where can you get one.

If anyone has done this swap I would appreciate any advice.

Also ..... from the forum do you rate the command Sat Nav or recommend going for a more modern DVD based Sat Nav/DVD system????

Many thanks,

Joules

joules88 said:
New to the forum
Welcome to the forum :)
joules88 said:
If it is an optical changer then there is a good chance that it will work, depends really on what headunit you're swapping from.
joules88 said:
will what need a cradle?
joules88 said:
Stealership, not too expensive for the roof mounted antenna, hidden antenna or the extension cables.
joules88 said:
You have a speed sensor already
joules88 said:
The installation in an ML is pretty much the same as any other non canbus-cluster/steeringwheel car.

This thread has some handy info on it:

http://mbclub.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=5785
joules88 said:
do you rate the command Sat Nav or recommend going for a more modern DVD based Sat Nav/DVD system?
I am biased I suppose, but I like comand because not only does it do decent navigation it's also the best oem headunit ever :) .

joules88 said:
Hi all,

New to the forum and have done a quick search with no luck pin-pointing a command (163) install on a 1999 ML. I wanted to know -

Also ..... from the forum do you rate the command Sat Nav or recommend going for a more modern DVD based Sat Nav/DVD system????

Many thanks,

Joules
Welcom to the forum, Joules.

1. If you have a factory fitted CD changer, it will probaly NOT have the fiber optic (D2B) wiring - meaning that it will NOT be compatible with a W163 M-class comand.

2. If you are referring to some sort of 2DIN piece to install in-dash, then the answer is no.

3. Dealership is an option. Or MBenzNL - they sell complete self installation kits. Or... you can consider driving to the workshop in Holland to get the job done, because:

4. since your M-class is a 1999, it probably doesn't have speedsignal.

5. A DVD based comand will definitely not work in your W163, simply due to the fact that the DVD comands (as used in the W211s for instance) use MOST wiring (fiber optic, but different protocol). Besides, if I am not mistaking, the W163 won't get a DVD comand until 2006...

greetingz,

BigSis

Thanks Guys,

I had a feeling it would not be straight forward.....

But I will look a little more into it then decide....

Cheers,

Joules

Hi joules88,

Welcome to the forum!!. I'm also new here and I'm about to do the same install you are thinking of. So far I have bought a comand unit from ebay, but it's a A210 model not the A163 but i also have a canbus converter also but i don't know where i need to wire it up!!. Anyway I now need to get a GPS areial my MB Dealer quoted me £110 inc vat (Part No. 163 820 1875) but none in stock.

I also Braybooks in Hertford will retro fit a comand system for you. I spoke to neil today who quoted me around £200 for fitting my comand unit & supply & fit GPS areial and attach and ipod dock to aux so i can use my ipod through comand, so if i cant be bothered to do the work myself i may just take that option. Wouldn't even bother getting a quote from a dealer ££££££££££££!!!!!!!! :crazy:

Thanks Del, thats interesting to know ....

However I can see this creeping towards £1k and I might just get an Apline or Clarion full system.

Let me know how the install goes if you choose that route.

Cheers

DeL said:
Wouldn't even bother getting a quote from a dealer ££££££££££££!!!!!!!! :crazy:
The stealership probably won't quote for a job like that anyway, they're not really into the retrofit business.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom