command lagging

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mebs

Car
2014 BMW 530D Msport, Renault Grand scenic
good evening people, i have a query with the command system on my new clk it seems to be slightly behind my exact location, for example I could be outside a certain street but according to the map its yet to come, if that makes sense also to add the voice tells you after you`ve made the turn ever so slightly, is this common or could it be because I have version 4.0, now that i know there is a lag its quite annoying and the stealers are clueless. any help would be greatfully appreciated in advance with my dilemma. thanks folks

mebs said:
good evening people, i have a query with the command system on my new clk it seems to be slightly behind my exact location, for example I could be outside a certain street but according to the map its yet to come, if that makes sense also to add the voice tells you after you`ve made the turn ever so slightly, is this common or could it be because I have version 4.0, now that i know there is a lag its quite annoying and the stealers are clueless. any help would be greatfully appreciated in advance with my dilemma. thanks folks

If you have custom rims then I suspect you have the wrong profile. Otherwise I would think that the nav unit needs to be flash upgraded by the diagnostic.

Last edited:
Best Ask Alfie on this one.. Happened to me once when it was only picking up 2 satellites (usually 7-8) but i'm using version Comand 2.5 which is good

I have this problem on my E320. First vist to the dealer they accepted it was not correct. Been back twice more and because they can't fix it they now say that its a characteristic of the vehicles as, they claim, all MB's do it!! They also claim that weather conditions will effect the SAT signal reception. I have run a basic TOM TOM simultaneously with the COMAND and this performs flawlessly and it only cost £250!

Not very impressive for a £2k piece of kit!! MB customer services don't want to know because the dealer claims it isn't a fault.

In my opinion the VER 5 disk (with TMC) does improve it. The instructions are given more or less on the junction but with the VER4.1 supplied with the car it consistenly gave "NOW TURN LEFT" instructions 20m AFTER the junction.

I have recently found another hidden menu which has a "calibration option". To access switich the COMAND to NAV and then hold NAV & 5 together.

I have not altered any of these settings - anyone else aware of what they do?

steve.link said:
I have this problem on my E320. First vist to the dealer they accepted it was not correct. Been back twice more and because they can't fix it they now say that its a characteristic of the vehicles as, they claim, all MB's do it!! They also claim that weather conditions will effect the SAT signal reception. I have run a basic TOM TOM simultaneously with the COMAND and this performs flawlessly and it only cost £250!

Not very impressive for a £2k piece of kit!! MB customer services don't want to know because the dealer claims it isn't a fault.

In my opinion the VER 5 disk (with TMC) does improve it. The instructions are given more or less on the junction but with the VER4.1 supplied with the car it consistenly gave "NOW TURN LEFT" instructions 20m AFTER the junction.

My car came with Version 4 (December 2004) and was "upgraded" to 4.1 at the first service. I've found 4.1 better than 4 in that the late instruction does not now happen at all roundabouts but only on a limited number. Comand also does not lag at all at junctions.

I was going to upgrade to V5 but as someone has recently posted that V6 is coming out in June I'll wait a few months more.

Someone also said VER 5.1 Disk was available 4th May (Part No B67823627) .

Rang my dealer but he said the part number didn't exist.

Can anyone check this out?

is there not a calibration setting, I nknow after you have new tyres you need to calibrate.

Dont even let them fob you off, whats the point of having door numbers on the navigation if you get to a house 20 doors away?!?!

typical MB, excuses excuses

Yes I have found a calibration setting but I have no idea how it works.

Press and hold NAV & 5 together and there are a whole load of navigation settings/options

Agreed more likely to be a calibration issue rather than sat reception - unless you are only picking up 2 or 3, although 3 are sufficient for a fix in three dimensions. Weather will affect satellite reception....... but unless you are in heavily overcast conditions and a near tropical rainstorm or heavy snow that is unlikely to be it - after all this system was designed for the military to use in all conditions.

The reason the system catches up is as soon as you have made the turm the turn is detected, the direction of travel slightly different to the predicted one from your last speed and direction so it re-fixes and 'moves' you to the correct position. Sat Nav units are not fixing constantly - they do in fact work on a little Dead Reckoning based on course, speed and available routes to travel down. And by constantly i mean every second.... In order to operate this way they need to know an accurate speed and direction. This speed can be affected by different sized wheels and tyres to those it thinks are fitted. So when the speed pulse is saying you are doing X with set of wheels Y that comes out as 30mph for example, however if you have set of wheels Z that should come out as 33mph however as it thinks you are running wheels Y it will lag and then constantly have to adjust when it fixes.

thanks!!!! still thinking!!!

All help greatfuuly appreciated, however as i understand it some replies are from w211 owners and the w209 clk command is slightly different, even as far as the version for aps is different, my question is:- Is there a calibration button and if so how can i access it or a hidden menu. the dealers have fobbed me off saying the version is correct for command and the new version should be purchased at my expense, what i find strange is my tomtom go 500 was accurate and precise for routing compared to command and it was upgradable via gps website whereas command is very limited and dealers are useless, do you think i should escalate via customer services as it is a £35k + car or just bite the bullet. once again any help is appreciated, thanks in advance

The reason you have a discrepancy between the Tomtom and the Command system is quite simple. As i alluded in my previous post. One system is reliant purely on satelite data and the other (which in theory should be more accurate for periods when you go through tunnels, poor coverage areas etc) needs to be calibrated to allow for the DR function to work. When it is not calibrated properly you get the DR function misleading the system so it drops out of the margin of error area that all navigation solutions have, it is at this point that the system then says - hang on i have one part of me saying i should be about to turn the corner and another saying i have turned, it does a check - uses the GPS fix as it will assess that to be the correct one and off you go. All all navigation fixes have a margin of error/area of uncerntainty about them. If you have three position lines all crossing with 120degree between them and forming a perfect cross, it is highly likely that you are at the centre of this point. However it is also possible that you are not and that depends on the accuracy of the data and the position lines them selves.

so, does the COMAND APS (DVD) fitted to a 2005 W209 CLK need to be calibrated, and if so how do you access the menu to do it? My COMAND lags slightly on the map, but the voice is accurate.

Any nav system that relies on a speed pulse will need to be calibrated and this is dependant on wheel size - so if you change your wheels for a biggers steel or change the tyres - the rolling circumference will change and therefore the speed that the system thinks you are doing from the speed pulse.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom