COMMAND Nav CD in auto-changer?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

i_york

Car
Volvo V40 2.0T Sport / AK Cobra 427
The single-CD part of my COMMAND head unit appears to be knackered... inserting a nav CD results in 'CD Reading Error' and audio CD's aren't even recognised by the unit (CD 0 on the CD select screen remains blank and cannot be selected). So, I'm suspecting it needs a new pick-up (although I will try cleaning the laser with fingers crossed).

Anyway, my question is this... is it possible to put the navigation CD in the CD auto-changer and use it from there? I'm pretty sure the nav CD can only be read from the single CD in the head unit, but thought I'd ask anyway.

Oh, and where would I go to get the tools required to remove the COMMAND head unit from the centre console?

Cheers,
Ian.

i_york said:
Anyway, my question is this... is it possible to put the navigation CD in the CD auto-changer and use it from there? I'm pretty sure the nav CD can only be read from the single CD in the head unit, but thought I'd ask anyway.
As you guess, this wont work ..

i_york said:
Oh, and where would I go to get the tools required to remove the COMMAND head unit from the centre console?
Assuming its a ML (163) or CLK (208) then i'd pop along to the local dealer and ask them to release it for you, or ask the parts dept to sell you a set, they are under a fiver - if its anything else its a dash board dismantle job, which is pretty simple on most of the cars - post what car it is, and i'm sure someone will post a URL. (if its a 203/209, look on www.mercupgrades.com at the comand retrofit guide, theres a link in there to someone's site with good info)

R

Your car is a W208 CLK so the COMAND will come out in seconds with the appropriate keys. As Richard says, pop down to your local dealer and they should be able to pull it out easily for you. Pretty much any car audio outlet will have the keys also.

Sounds like your CD unit in the COMAND is faulty! A common fault on the early COMAND 2 units.

Last edited:
Alfie said:
Sounds like your CD unit in the COMAND is faulty! A common fault on the early COMAND 2 units.

Yea, I'm assuming it's probably the optical pick-up at this point. Do you agree? If so, do you know where I can get the part from and how much it is? I'm aware it's not a DIY job due to the need to set focus and tracking on the new pickup once installed. However, I do know of a good local place that can probably do it. But, if it's going to be an expensive job (say £150+), I probably won't bother.

Cheers,
Ian.

i_york said:
Yea, I'm assuming it's probably the optical pick-up at this point. Do you agree? If so, do you know where I can get the part from and how much it is? I'm aware it's not a DIY job due to the need to set focus and tracking on the new pickup once installed. However, I do know of a good local place that can probably do it. But, if it's going to be an expensive job (say £150+), I probably won't bother.
I believe that frequent swapping of discs causes eventual failure of the unit but it's not mechanical fault, just dust!

There are quite a few threads about this, if you search you will probably find what you need to know.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom