Command Navigation and DVD V 10.

Discussion in 'Electronics' started by raymont, Nov 5, 2008.

1. raymont

raymont Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    GL 420CDI
    Just had my car serviced. One of the items to be looked at was that the sat nav is out by about 10metres most of the time. I’m about 10 metres past the junction when the map shows level with it.

Anyone else experience this?

Dealer had no ideas. Receptionist offered to upgrade to DVD V9 to see if that helped.

I mentioned (a) that I have V9.0 and (b) the latest is V10. He then informed me that MB are recommending downgrading from V10 to V9 as ‘many’ towns have been omitted from the DVD. Assume he meant from the indexing rather than the map. Said that the list of missing towns was several pages long.

MB really do seem to have a major quality problem around navigation which at about £250 for a new DVD is just unacceptable.

Not much better than BT phone integration which, judging by recent posts and some personal experience, is a real quagmire.

2. Alfie

Alfie Authorised Forum Sponsor Authorised Forum Sponsor

Car:
    W169 A, W205 C, W451 smart
    My information is that dealers are upgrading customers who were given V8 with their cars to V10 and skipping V9/V9.1. It was V9/V9.1 that had the missing towns but this was corrected in V10.

3. Rory

Rory MB Club Veteran

Car:
    C270CDi Estate (late 2004 facelift model)
    Typical dealer mis-information.

My W203 has always given instructions late. Dealer says it's fine.

I take a fair number of people in the car who could be MB customers and they see how poor COMAND's nav function is (they don't notice the good bits, only the late instructions and the little diversions we have to take to correct things).

4. OP
    OP
    raymont

Car:
    GL 420CDI
    Dealer called this morning, unprompted, to say that the situation is as Alfie explained, i.e. V10 corrects the problems with V9.0 and V9.1.

Also said he had V10 for me (FOC) if I could drop by to collect it. Don't think it will fix the inaccuracy but I'm sure I shouldn't offend and say I don't want it!

Last edited: Nov 6, 2008
  5. Alfie

Car:
    Thats good news. I'd be right round there and take it off him. Saved you a couple of hundred quid at least!

It may well fix the inaccuracy as it will load in a new piece of software when you first load the disk up.

6. OP
    OP
    raymont

Car:
    GL 420CDI

I'll let you know if it does / doesn't.

7. OP
    OP
    raymont

Car:
    GL 420CDI
    Collected the new DVD (V10) this morning. It doesn't make any difference to the accuracy of the system. I'm still about 10m past a junction when the system thinks I'm level with it.

8. Alfie

Car:
    You need to place your antenna onto a 10M pole and mount it out the front of your car;)

9. yachtman

yachtman Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    clk 320cdi
    10 ft position

I also had a free upgrade to version 10. but wasnt experiancing problems before or after.

A thought ,from my yachty experiance with sat navs

with marine sets, which are much less advanced than modern land sat navs,when they are first on, positional quality can be a bit jumpy around a position. However if you leave them on for a bit while stationary things settle. This might give you the offset you mention. does it vary dependant on compass heading?

others will be better able to comment if this affects comand.

10. ckember

ckember Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    GLC 350d AMG Premium plus
    I thought all satnavs where out due to the limitations imposed by the US government that run the system. The army have a more accurate system.

11. Diesel Benz

Diesel Benz Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    222.132 & 221.122 & 213.050 & 906.633
    This intentional error has been removed years ago. It anyway "only" introduced a random error, if you did plot the GPS location over a long period of time, the centre of the plot would be your location. Differential GPS was introduced to compensate this, probably a reason why it was switched off.

The army (the navy and what ever they have) still have more complex GPS receivers, using two different bands etc. but the standard commercial system already give far better accuracy than the 10 metre error here, at open sky. Buildings can add error but it would not appear as a constant 10 m lag like in the case here.

I wonder what happens if the speed signal was missing?

12. OP
    OP
    raymont

Car:
    GL 420CDI
    As a sometime yachty I remember this behaviour. Pretty sure it was due to the fact that the GPS acquired 2 sats, then 3 and then others and the accuracy improved with each additional satellite.

In the car it doesn't improve over time, and most of the time it can see 8 to 10 satellites. Doesn't appear directional either.

What I have noticed though is that if I stop, say, opposite a junction, which the nav says I haven't reached yet, it will quite often 'jump' to the correct position.

It isn't always out but most of the time, say 80%, it is.

AS DB says selective availability, the introduced error, was scrapped a number of years ago.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2008