Command NGT2.0 or 2.5 for CLK

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Igurisu

Car
911 Turbo
Looking for more advice please :)

Having decided to buy a CLK, I started reading up on the command system. If I understand correctly the CLK system is NGT 2.0, please correct me if I'm wrong. I believe its possible to retro fit the NGT2.5 and looking at the features of each this is really the unit I want for phone connectivity and the SD Card ability for music.

My questions are,

1) Is my understanding of NGT 2.0 for CLK correct?
2) If I buy a CLK with NGT 2.0, will the old unit be worth anything for resale to offset the cost of the NGT 2.5 system?

If the NGT 2.0 system has no or little resale then I guess I am better looking for a car without a system at all and avoid paying for it in the first place.

Thanks in advance :)

Last edited:
The link won't open for me :( Says server is too busy...

I don't want to get into modifying the dash or the unit, I prefer to keep standard if possible. Does this mean I am stuck with NGT 2.0 (CD or DVD) system?

Sites down here is a google cache of the page about which unit is fitted depening on the year / model. COMAND - All about COMAND

You still havent said what year car your getting but if you got a W209 pre facelift with Comand 2.0 then it is possible to upgrade to the dvd based Comand NTG2. It does involve upgrading the centre console to a post facelift and changing some parts. More info on: http://www.mwstewart.co.uk/articles/w209faceliftconsole/

Last edited:
I plan to get a post facelift model (budget permitting), so that would include the DVD based system. As far as I can see this does not have any SD card slot?

Any ideas on the interface or socket for the axillary input? I really want to avoid using CD's for the music if possible. Maybe I can use an MP3 player through the auxillary.

Thanks for the links and information.

The CLK was never facelifted with NTG2.5 as it was being replaced by the E class coupe.

NTG2 CLK is a different shape to all other NTG2.

Thus there is no NTG2.5 unit that fits properly in a CLK. Someone once dremmel'ed a W203 unit to fit, but i'm not that good with a dremmel.

There is an AUX input, but if you want a really good sounding iPod interface, i'd use the mCar product ( Comand Online Ltd :: Mercedes Phone/Bluetooth :: Phone System Retrofit Kits :: mCar Phone & Digital iPod interface for Mercedes NTG1/NTG2 vehicles ) which has a fully digital path from the iPod all the way to the amplifier - it pretends to be the CD changer. The MB iPod kit uses the AUX input and track-names etc are only dispayed on the instrument cluster. The AUX input is not great. mCar can also be a bluetooth phone system, so saves you fitting that if the CLK does not have one.

Cheers

Richard

Thanks Richard, it seems that the mCar is definitely an option to consider. I notice that the unit can receive software updates via USB, do you know if it has a standard USB socket onboard? I'm wondering if I need to buy an Ipod for connection or just store music on a USB flash drive and plug it into the unit (this is what I do in my current car).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom